Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I <3 Kip Winger

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Psyrcle, Apr 27, 2005.

1. Psyrcle

Psyrcle Guest

I was watching a bootleg tape of them doing a small venue (less than 500) and the energy he had on stage belting out the lyrics to Seventeen made me jealous. This man is a god on stage. And he can play bass.

2. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Man, I think my respect for him just doubled. (What's 2 times 0?) :D

3. The man does have some chops. And despite what some people may tell you, musically that band had some skill , Beach is a monster on guitar.

4. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    It's funny, my instant reaction to this thread. The second I saw the thread title, I burst out loud: "I demand an explaination!" Luckily, I'm in my room alone.

The man posed for Playgirl sans Nudity. C'mon. I don't want to see him nekkid... but if you are going to do something... do it.

5. cetera

cetera

Apr 29, 2004
    Surrey, England
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses &amp; Cort Basses
    Kip Winger never gets enough respect. He's a classically trained musician, was a professional NY ballet dancer and he is also a great bassist / singer / composer, but the shallow celebrity-obsessed public don't see further than his 'good looks'.... a sad indictment of people.... :scowl:

Seems to me that there's a lot of jealousy out there.... of his talent, his looks & his money.... :eyebrow:

Open your ears and shut down your prejudices.... :bassist:

6. :eek: :confused: :eek:

7. johnvice

johnvice

Sep 7, 2004
    I saw him live with Winger in 1989 with Cinderella opening. Great live performer but.... his right hand spent a lot of time making minute adjustments to his microphone angle...it was partially anyoying but mostly bizarre.

He had/has a great voice and could do the front-man thing well. Reb Beach's playing was awesome. Rod Morgenstien was very overqualified for theri style of music and keybordist Paul Taylor doubled as a second guitar player quite well.

It's too bad history was so unkind to Winger :(

8. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    Great Post Cetera, I seen him play with Alice Cooper in 84/85, He was a monster, Best version of Wecome to my nightmare I ever heard!! I also seen Winger live at a small venue in 88 and they were Awesome!! That first album was killer I don't care what anyone say's.
    Oh I forgot he sang through an SM58 at the 88 show and both hands were on the wheel at all times except for pointing at some hot babes in the front row..lol

Mind if I quote you!! Open your ears and shut down your prejudices.... :bassist:

9. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    The "Open your ears..." bit is nice and all... but you could put the worlds greatest bass under a pile of crap and I still wouldn't listen to it.

10. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA

Just your opinion Matt, I just like the line that Cetera wrote, it's another classic tb quote for the books!, that's why I quoted it,
    All I'm saying is I respect the guy as a musician and have looked past his late 80's and early 90's flamboyency and stage antics to the time when I seen him as a musician not the teenbeat heartthrob his record CO. made him to be.
    I'm not trying to argue just get my point in like you. :)

11. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    [mod edit] enough m'kay [/mod edit]

12. powerslave

powerslave Guest

Feb 24, 2005
    United States
    yeah he was good at what he did, and a good front man, hell you can't make as many tours as them and not be good. i saw him on the cinderella tour 12 years or so ago as well; can't say i really liked it but wonder why people assume they're opinions are asked for, or how you think you are really qualified to say that he wasn't good when the things (some) people have done are not even worth a quick grin, that truley is funny :D

13. Psyrcle

Psyrcle Guest

To prove how much I love this man and his art.

Here is my work desk. Oh my what is that?
    [​IMG]

Yes, I framed the man and put him on my desk for inspiration. God bless Winger

[​IMG]

14. NOLA Bass

NOLA Bass Mr. Worst Case Scenario Man Gold Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2005
    New Orleans LA
    In defense of Kip Winger, I also saw him with Alice Cooper and he is a fine bass player. Winger was a collection of excellent musicians.

15. I hate most of the music Winger put out (one of their albums wasn't actually too bad, can't remember which), but I have to say, if that picture doesn't make you laugh, there's something wrong with you. I'd love to have that on my desk to brighten my day. Explaining it to people might prove difficult, I guess.... :p

16. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    I agree, kip is actually quite a good bass player!

I was incontact with him a couple months ago, at which time he had agreed to do an interview for my bass site. I spent quite a bit of time putting together an interesting and well thought out interview for him. Well, he pussed out and didn't even bother replying at all, which kind of pissed me off.

I'm guessing the part where I asked for his response to the negativity they received from beavis and butthead probably pissed him off.

17. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile

maybe it's the crapfest that he still gets (I'm getting tired of editing posts in this one people!).

When you are big at the tail end of an era, it's hard to ever live it down. I was done with 'hair metal' and 'power ballad' bands way before Winger hit the scene... but He has a great front man. Good Voice, Good Looks and some well crafted Pop tunes played by first class players.

I'm not seeing the jokes

18. jadesmar

jadesmar

Feb 17, 2003
    Ottawa, ON
    Oh,... it's a heart.

I thought you were mooning him.

19. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    I like him as a player, but I still think he is a puss for not replying to my interview, and had me do a few hours of work for not even a response to why he wasn't doing it.

20. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I won't stand for questioning my actions in a public thread, that is against the rules on Talkbass.

I would also like to clarify a point... making fun of and/or belittling a player or fan IS disrespecting and ALSO against the rules.

OK Tim, you ARE questioning a Mod in public and are you 100% certain Kip is not a member or lurker?