I admit it. I'm prejudiced (against Johnny Depp.)

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Stinsok, Dec 2, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    Whenever I see him holding a guitar I change the channel. Should I give him a chance? It seems like he's a rich poser with a stylist. Your thoughts?

reno88, Spidey2112, Mark 63 and 14 others like this.
  2. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Gold Supporting Member

:laugh: :roflmao:

3. I mean, can the dude play guitar? Yes, he actually plays. And he plays quite well if you're into that genre. Otherwise Alice Cooper wouldn't have formed a band with him. Does he do a lot of lead solo stuff? No, he leaves that to Joe Perry, who is also in that same group Cooper formed. Mostly he sticks to rhythm stuff and backing vocals. But he is good enough to share a stage with Joe Perry, Alice Cooper and Duff McKagen. So I'd say he isn't terrible.

You should probably look up "Hollywood Vampires" instead of his goofy tv commercials for some obscure cologne he's trying to sell. :thumbsup:

Rip Van Dan, CTW68, Nuage420 and 22 others like this.
  4. E2942

E2942

Jan 25, 2022
    I'm not a great guitar player, but damn he's embarrassing.
    If I know he'll be performing with anyone I just make sure to miss it.

Hollywood Vampires is the prime example, he ruins the whole thing.

Timmy Liam and Stinsok like this.
  5. Stinsok

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    I picture him running off stage to bury his bracelets in the desert.

6. mrcbass

mrcbass

Jan 14, 2016
    Sacramento, CA
    He was appearing with Jeff Beck in my area this fall. From what I heard it was more sad than good. You wouldn't think that Beck would need the publicity stunt, which is what it likely is.

7. E2942

E2942

Jan 25, 2022
    Apparently he's joined the Cooper band on stage & they already had 3 guitar players.
    It's kind of sad that he's able to insert himself just by being friends with Perry.

On the other hand, good for him, but bad for the reputation of everyone around him.
    The Hollywood Vampires were taken more seriously when they were an eclectic group of drunks in the attic of the Rainbow by the restrooms with Morrison & Dolenz.

Ekulati and Stinsok like this.
  8. Michedelic

Michedelic MId-Century Modern

He went to LA to be a musician(then fell into acting)as self-satirized in this video…

I’ve seen him sit in with Ian Hunter, and with Beck years ago. He was not exceptional, but he was competent. Beck does whatever the hell he wants, I don’t think he “needs” Depp, any more than Depp needs Beck. I listened to a interview with them on Little Steven’s Sirius Radio channel, they have a genuine rapport, and there was deference to Beck on Johnny’s part. I can think of worse musical ‘posing’ on the part of other actors…Bruce Willis, Steven Segal, even Belushi/Aykroyd. As for the HV, it’s just a side thing for fun, a Busman’s Holliday, a chance to play favorite covers. If Depp was so miserable, why would pros like Cooper and Perry put up with him? They have their own following. It keeps people entertained, and it keeps a friend of mine, Chris(the bass player), employed.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2022
    HolmeBass, dland, Nuage420 and 15 others like this.
  9. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
  10. Plucky The Bassist

Plucky The Bassist ZOMG! I'm back from the dead! Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2010
    Tejas
    Plenty of posers out there LOL

Aqualung60 and LBS-bass like this.
  11. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Columbia, MD Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    I'd play bass for him. He has connections. I wouldn't be happy, but he has connections.

12. tb4sbp

tb4sbp

May 9, 2017
    North East
    I like the HV
    I think Depp loves to play
    Would any one of us not jump at the chance to play legends?
    And yes, he went to Hollywood to be a musician and got into acting

FRoss6788, 31HZ, pcake and 6 others like this.
  13. Shepsdad

Shepsdad

Sep 22, 2019
    I say good for him. I don’t think JD is the happiest guy in the world, but if being on stage brings him a little happiness, then that’s what he should be doing. He’s made millions of people happy all over the world, I’m not gonna rag on the guy for putting himself in a situation where he’s surrounded by great musicians. Hell, I’d do the same if I were him.

14. Element Zero

Element Zero Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2016
    Fresno California
    Sorry… but Dior Sauvage is HARDLY obscure. It’s been in the top 5 most popular fragrances worldwide for a few years now. Plus, it smells amazing, when used in extreme moderation.

31HZ, pcake, MDBass and 4 others like this.
  15. RichSnyder

Jun 19, 2003
    It can’t beat Drakar. Heh.

16. E2942

E2942

Jan 25, 2022
    Why would he choose Louisiana to become a musician?

ctmullins likes this.
  17. Element Zero

Element Zero Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2016
    Fresno California
    Top kek. Drakkar Noir and Aqua Di Gio are in a league of their own… a very dated but well respected league.

Admiral Akbar and smogg like this.
  18. He's an actor. period. I saw that movie years ago. So he gets to play rhythm with some big name people; BFD. Lots of us could do this. In his case, he's a living gimmick.

Spidey2112 likes this.
  19. Stinsok

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    I'd take him more seriously if he was in an ad campaign for Brut 33.

20. RichSnyder

Jun 19, 2003
    Do they still make Brut 33?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.