I am a string slut!

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Gyver, Oct 10, 2011.

1. I have been on a quest for the perfect string for my MM Sterling Classic lately. I have tried Ernie Ball Super and Hybrid Slinkys, DR Hi Beams, GHS Boomers, D'Addario Chromes, Dean Markley Blue Steels and DR Nickel Lo Riders. All have good qualities but the front runner is the Nickel Lo Riders right now. I have a set of Super Long 45-100 Chromes coming soon (the other set I tried were long 50-105 and the silk did not clear the nut so I wanted to give them another chance). The Sterling has an aggressive sound and the nickels and flats seem to calm it down to where I want it.

OCD is a b**ch. Do any of you struggle to find the "perfect" string?

2. Nope. Been usin' High Beams for about 18 years.

3. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

May 4, 2006
    Mount Prospect, IL
    Yes, I have gone through a lot. Have you heard of Strings, Instrument Strings, Music Strings for Guitar, Bass, Mandolin, Fiddle and More

You can order strings one at a time and return them if you do not open them. Rather than buying a set and being out more money.

SIT, GHS, D'Addario, Ernie Ball, Ken Smith, Spector, Elixir.....I finally settled on DR Hi-Beams - nice edgey tone, bright without being annoying, great string to string balance and no dead strings out of the box just yet. Plus, they have plenty of midrange in them, unlike some roundwounds.....

Keep searching, it's worth it.

4. electracoyote

electracoyote Supporting Member

Y'know, I'm a little OCD myself, but I have the restraint to not take it into the arena of string selection.

I hate working on guitars and basses (I'd rather be playing them), and the thought of obsessively changing strings sounds like a lot of time and effort working on my basses.

With strings, "decent" and "close enough" are fine by me.

5. mmbongo

mmbongo Regular Human Bartender Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    If you're OCD about strings, stay away from http://www.bassstringsonline.com !!!

Not only does he have the best prices, but he has a section where you can put together your own custom sets using all the different gauges of strings. So to satisfy your OCD needs, you can put together balanced tension sets of your favorite strings :)

6. I will be checking this out for sure - thanks!

7. Duke21

Duke21

Nov 14, 2010
    Narvik, Norway
    Rotosound RB45 which are the same as the 66 nickel but no silk and half the price.

8. pbass888

pbass888 Supporting Member

Jul 8, 2009
    Denver
    mm fatbeams and daddario prosteels ... kill all others by a texas mile... down here deep in the heart

9. knuckle_head

knuckle_head Commercial User

Jul 30, 2002
    Seattle
    Owner; Knuckle Guitar Works & Circle K Strings
    There's at least one more you've not tried . . . .

;)

10. madbassplaya

madbassplaya

Dec 28, 2007
    Seriously bro! There are several sets Jason sells that I wanna try.

OP give Sunbeams a try. If you sign up as a VIP which is open to any tb member I think you'll find the pricing is great.

How are those custom sunbeams working out for you?

11. Catbuster

Catbuster

Aug 25, 2010
    Louisville, KY.
    Yeah, and I did quite a few years ago... Rotosound 66 Swingbass...

12. mmbongo

mmbongo Regular Human Bartender Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Haven't even opened them yet :)

Jason talked me into ordering a set of Pressure Wound strings to try out, so I'm going to give them a fair whirl on my Spector. They will be here tomorrow :)

Our next gig is Nov. 4th, so I've got a few weeks to try them out. If the Pressures don't work out, I've got plenty of time to get the Sunbeams on.

13. madbassplaya

madbassplaya

Dec 28, 2007
    Let me know how those Pressure Wounds work for you. Jason says they're one of his favorite strings. I haven't bitten the bullet yet, but I am considering some for sure.

14. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Inactive Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    The Brains: FretNation.com
    Oh hi there!

I thought I posted in this how much I love the title :D

15. moderneagle

moderneagle

Oct 12, 2011
    Kuala Lumpur
    Hi there any love for Sadowsky strings? :) anyone switched to or away from 'em? I'm on them for all my 4'er basses, the bright nickels (recently installed) and SS sets.

The tension is a little on the high side for the SS but the nickels are more pliant.

16. All my rounds are Rotosound 66 Nickel, my flats are half Chromes half TI Flats...
    No need for anything new...

Been playing he Roto's for almost 10 years...

17. madbassplaya

madbassplaya

Dec 28, 2007
    Great strings! A friend of mine uses them on a couple of his basses. :)

18. I really like the nickel lo riders. I understand the sunbeams are pretty similar?

19. soulman969

soulman969 Inactive

Oct 6, 2011
    Englewood, Colorado
    Jason is definitely a fan of those Pressure Wounds. I'm gonna put some on a CV Jazz I just bought and in a couple of weeks I'll be happy to give you some feeback on them too playa.

20. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    Circle K Strings. You'll never go back to another string ever again. They have been scientifically proven* to cure your string OCD.

*source needed

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 28, 2021