I am now a short scale bass addict

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BlacknWhite, Aug 21, 2019.

1. Been playing for over 20 years now. Never touched a short scale ever. Went out east this year and happened upon a Gretsch junior jet...... I am now selling off the couple longscales I have left. The bass I built I am converting to short scale. I'll keep one long just to have but wow I wish I had of picked one of these up years ago... I feel like I did when I picked up the bass for the first time except now its more comfortable for me hahah. I turn 40 in October and I plan on getting a more high end short scale and playing it off to the wife as you only turn 40 once hahaha. For all the short scale lovers out there what do you recommend. I was considering am old Mustang or starcaster. Let's see the short scale love! Feel free to post pics of yours!
    IMG_20190908_125635_294.jpg
    20190717_190443.jpg 20190717_170034.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 12, 2019
  2. I've recently become a shortscale addict too. My P bass sits all alone in a cupboard while my shortscale gets all the love.
    20190822_112457.jpg

3. Cool looking bass! Is that one of the Ibanez shorties?

4. Yes, but only the neck and body are Ibanez now.

staurosjohn and BlacknWhite like this.
  5. B-Mac

B-Mac Just like Aretha Sang... R-E-S-P-E-C-T Supporting Member

Stop in here
    The Official Short Scale Bass Club -- Part 4

BlacknWhite likes this.
  6. Nebula24

Nebula24

Nov 23, 2017
    Norman, OK
    Play all you can find.

Worst part of loving shorties to me is locally only have the same 3 or 4. So many I see online but never in person. Not ready to order not seen yet.

Have had a modded epi eb0 almost 2 years now (got me back into bass).

20190818_212503.jpg

Love the jr jet and tempted as a 2nd bass (play it local guitar center all the time).. Probably would have gotten over eb0 but they never had them until long after my purchase. Tried micro and bronco but didn't like them. Want to retry mustang especially the new squier coming out but previously didn't like their necks. Also dont like split pickups but the classic ones being smaller look ok to me (lame reason to not like bass I know). Got to try viola. Would love to see an ignition club. Or pricier (to me) eastwood, supro or hagstrom.

ejaggers, blacktocomm and BlacknWhite like this.
  7. Cool looking bass man. The problem with where I am is there is zero short scale bass's. I have to drive an hour and a half and all they have are junior jets which I already have and Broncos which are a good base but I would definitely have to heavily modify.

Nebula24 likes this.
  8. MMiller28

MMiller28 Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    Get an MTD 430

BlacknWhite likes this.
  9. capnjim

capnjim

Mar 13, 2008
    Wait until you try a birdsong.

10. RedHotFuzz

RedHotFuzz

Mar 16, 2014
    Warmoth. Warmoth. Warmoth. Spec and build whatever you want. You’re not constrained to what the off-the-rack market offers you (which is not much in short or medium scale). I play medium scale, but short scale is just a neck swap away. I have two Warmoth builds (a P/J and a Bisonic) and will build at least two more (a straight P and a Jazz). I love the fact my basses are unique to me, and fit me right.

TonyP-, SactoBass and BlacknWhite like this.
  11. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    LOL...

It all started for me with Mustang PJ...

Then a TMB30

and a Hofner Icon

and Supro Huntington

and a Warwick

and an American Performer Mustang

and something I have a sneaky suspicion is in my very near future but can't/won't yet talk about...

Yeah. I got this addiction thing too :).

12. shoulderpet

shoulderpet

Sep 24, 2015
    Short scales are all I play now, I move around the neck quite a lot and play some bass parts low and some closer to the dusty end of the fretboard and a short scale allows me to do this more fluidly, also makes bass chords easier, always been tempted by the Gretsch junior jet bass

BlacknWhite likes this.
  13. dmt

dmt

Apr 19, 2003
    Orbiting Sol
    That’s exactly how I felt. Still love my P and like my J, but yeah, it was like, "Dang, what the heck have I been doing?!" A real eye opener

BlacknWhite likes this.
  14. Yeah I love how much easier it is to move around the fretboard. I'm a pretty small guy (5'7)... so it's just more comfortable too me. The junior jets are really nice bass's for being China made. They are super cheap and really well built. They have a very unique sound and for having such simple controls you can really get a lot of different tones out of it. The neck pick up is a beast on it's own.

15. gln1955

gln1955 Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2014
    Ohio, USA
    If you want to treat yourself to a really nice short scale, consider a Maruszczyk. Their configurator will keep you amused for hours.

Custom Shop | Public Peace

Jake.jpg

ejaggers, MYLOWFREQ, dannnnn and 10 others like this.
  16. dalkowski

dalkowski Supporting Member

May 20, 2009
    Massachusetts USofA
    Does it rhyme with "Tea in Hell Ballout?" Does it have stripes?

Last edited: Aug 22, 2019
    4stringsjack likes this.
  17. Thanks man now I've configured a 3000 dollar bass I can't afford lmao damn it would be nice though!

Screenshot_20190822-100502_Chrome.jpg

18. BassmanM

BassmanM

Feb 17, 2011
    Hamburg, Germany
    Ha! I recently configured something similar...

Mr. Tee (1).png
    The Maruszczyk basses are made by a company called Mensinger. They also have their own line of basses. Check out their shortscales.

4-String | Public Peace

4-String | Public Peace

19. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    No. It rhymes with tort male bling day. But its kinda supposed to be a surprise for me... and I'm not even sure yet. So I'll say no more.

What is Tea in Hell Callout :)?

I'm always open to more gas.

mikewalker likes this.
  20. ejaggers

ejaggers Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2009
    Fort Worth, tx
    Hi, I'm ejaggers and I'm a short-aholic.

I have 5 SS's, 6 LS's, and 1 sub-short project in the works, but when I jam I always grab a shorty.
    I started on SS years ago, and went from there to a Jazz.

I modded the crap out of a P because I'm a Mod-Aholic as well, and I love my P dearly.
    Maybe I'll pick up one of my LS's in the future but not right now.

Short_Scale_Family.JPG

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 13, 2021