Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I am so ashamed.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Benjamin Strange, Nov 20, 2003.

1. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I was just told by some kid that my band sounds like Tool. Huh? I don't get it. Do we sound like Tool? We've got songs on our website (www.deadhandsystem.com), which are mostly early demos (with the exception of Trinity, which even I think is pretty cool).

We were conciously avoiding sounding like Tool, and none of us even really listen to Tool much. This sucks. Is it time for us to change our sound or what?

2. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    You must hand over your genitals and change your name to Helga.

3. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Does it sound like Tool? No. Would I say that it's in the same genre? Yes.

:bassist:

4. Most people use comparisons because they do not have the knowledge to express it any other way... IMHO

5. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    hehehe *ToNeS* posted a clip from his band, and I mentioned it sounded kind of like tool and he was like "Nooooooo! we're trying to NOT sound like tool!":p

6. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    As secretdonkey said, it is the same genre. I dont know what to call this genre, exactly, and Tool is my favorite band :eek:

7. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    What's too be ashamed about?

8. Unique,but not my thing.

you guys do sound like El Tool-o

9. Ben Mishler

Ben Mishler

Jan 22, 2003
    San Jose
    I haven't stop by talkbass in several months, but I see that Mike Money is still the same.:rolleyes:

10. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Its ok, we all know you were laughing at it from the safety of your computer desk.

11. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    that would be HER band :)

12. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    Here's to Tool fans! Definitely take the compliment, even if it's not what you were going for. People use the phrase 'sounds like...' because it's easier than going through the whole list of what aspects of the band lend themselves to being part of one genre versus another (or for that matter, any genre at all). At least be happy that you're makin' respectable music.

13. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

I just think you got tooled.
    Or fooled.

Start listening to other music.
    Listen to Frank Zappa and
    Mahavishnu Orchestra for a week.
    One week

You will no longer sound like Snap-on.
    Tool Fool Jewel rule Kabul Punk-Schmool ,

?

14. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    I don't see the Tool thing honestly. So we have long songs. So what? We are/were rarely heavey; I would say we are/were much more ambient. No accounting for taste, I guess.:rolleyes:

I love Zappa, as well as King Crimson, Miles Davis. Pharoah Sanders, Meshuggah, the Cure, etc. I would have thought that it would have been easier to hear those influences.:confused:

15. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Take up Trumpet or Sax then!! ;)

16. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    Does it matter?

Just work on sounding like you. As long as you can, in good conscience, put out music that you are happy with, it doesn't matter how other people classify it.

17. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    I do play sax!!:D

18. ah, don't worry about it. people are always pulling random bands out at me. tool being one of them, but usually it's mars volta. i hadn't even heard m.v. until three or four people told me that. i listened to a few songs, then called the insane asylem to take these people away.

don't sweat the confused masses or critics.

19. No, play whatever appeals to you. I wouldn't care. Tool is great by the way, nothing wrong with making music that reminds of them, imho.

we've got only one song recorded with my band, and people have compared it to Nirvana, Pixies, Breeders, Super furry animals, bob hund and guess what, Morrissey. most of these comparisons really surprised me. but that's one funny thing about making music, you don't really know what it sounds like as you don't have the perspective. keep on rocking..

the mars volta are great.

I've got to check out your bands now.

20. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Let me guess, this person (the accuser) wasn't a musician, right? Or if they were, they weren't a very good one.

Music that is dark/weird/spacey/likeable sounds like Tool according to John Q. Public, it's because Tool is the first band in that style to enter the mainstream. Also, don't think of destroying your band because you might sound like someone. No offense, but I'm sure you sound like someone, I don't know who, but someone. There are only 12 notes, and people have been messing with them for centuries upon centuries, every band sounds at least slightly like some band.