I apparently live by the greatest Goodwill store EVER!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Captain Simian, Feb 20, 2010.

1. Once again The Warden and I swung by Goodwill this morning to drop off some more items from our money sucking storage unit. Went in to take a peak and found this for $100:

DSCN1035.gif
    DSCN1036.gif
    DSCN1037.gif

The Warden was a bit miffed that I bought yet another project so I'm going to have to sell off something else.

She spent the afternoon at a co-workers baby shower so I went to work putting the bass back together. I had a bunch of parts that I was going to sell but never got around to it for whatever reasons. Fender '62 RI pickup and threaded saddle bridge, Allparts black pickguard, potentiometers, and flattop chrome knobs, orange drop .047 capacitor, Switchcraft jack, and D'Addario Chromes that I took off of my burgundy mist jazz (wasn't crazy about the sound I was getting from her). Took me about an hour to solder everything together (which I did on the first try!), string her up, and then set her up. Here's how she looks now:

DSCN1039.gif

This will be the last bass I will get for awhile unless I want to sleep in my car for a month.

2. wow dude like 3 in a month? i am jealous ha i have only found an acoustic at mine

3. $100?!
    How can anyone complain about that?

btw, SWEEET!!

4. Nice find! (love your sig!)

5. Score!

6. I want I want I want I want I want I want

7. corinpills

corinpills

Nov 19, 2000
    Boston, MA
    Sounds like a perfectly reasonable afternoon to me (except for that bit about the baby shower)

8. This just isn't fair.

9. An absolutely massive score. That looks like one you could keep forever, or turn around and make a quick $500 profit. That's what I call a Saturday well spent.

-jb

10. Dark Horse

Dark Horse Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX
    THAT DOES IT !!!!

I'M MOVING TO ALBUQUERQUE !!!

11. slug

slug

Nov 27, 2002
    atlanta
    too many guitar players in the south for anything like that to ever happen

12. Oren Hudson

Oren Hudson

Dec 25, 2007
    Gastonia, NC
    Yea right - my wife has heard that before. A very good hit. :cool:

13. I was told about an old Peavey tube amp and a cab with 4 speakers was at a goodwill near me for 30 bucks once. Within the hour I had gotten there it had the 30 bucks smudged off, 200 bucks written then crossed out and an "on hold" sticker on it. The signs on it said fully working etc etc.

14. No doubt. I never find anything close to that cool.

15. Moe Monsarrat

Moe Monsarrat Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2006
    Austin, Tx.
    Endorsing artist:Regenerate Guitar Works Carvin, Micheal Kelly Guitars
    In Austin the people running Goodwill are probably in a band. You'll never see something like that here.

16. Basshappi

Basshappi

Feb 12, 2007
    Tucson,AZ
    Wow!.....just wow!!

Congrats on an amazing score!

17. caeman

caeman The Root Master

Sep 17, 2008
    Ohio
    Good jorb!

So, $100 for an open-slate bass. Add all the important bits, now you can sell it for big profit! Surely the wife-unit cannot be angry if you make a profit?

18. Bassman203

Bassman203

Mar 29, 2008
    Chicagoland
    I've got a big flea market once a month near by, and I always expect to find a cheap bass or guitar, but it's usually over-priced crap.

I'm very jealous of you're good finds.

19. Engine207

Engine207 Losing faith in humanity...one call at a time.

Jul 10, 2008
    Higley, AZ
    That's exactly my tac. I stash a little bit of my "walking around money" every week. I check my local CL throughout the day, then when a smokin' deal surfaces, I pounce on it and flip it for a quick buck (actually, I sometimes keep it if it grows on me while it's for sale).

$50 here, $85 there...it adds up. Once my little stash has grown enough, I get myself a new toy. Just in the last year or so, I got my MiM P-Bass, MiM fretless Jazz and Peavey T-40 that way.

As long as I don't take any food off the dinner table, the Ol' Girl just makes like this: :rollno:

20. Dangit man
    my Goodwill only has the cheap Donnie and Marie or Barbie acoustics !!

DOH!!!

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 22, 2021