1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I built my first bass!

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by LowendinFL, Oct 30, 2010.

1. Hey everyone. Thanks to the inspiration of this site I decided to try my hand at building my own bass. I wasn't sure how it would go and how long it would take so I hesitated to post pics until now. I didn't want to start a thread and show progress just to find out that bass building isn't for me! So now that its 95% finished and plays and sounds awesome I figured its time to share it with everyone here! It will also be my first time using an outside image hosting source so I hope that goes well also.

Here are some specs on the bass: 32 scale, 29 frets (yes, 29), spalted alder body, mahogany/maple neck, cheap tuners and bridge, EMG 35DC p/u, EMG btc EQ. It has a black bone nut. For strings I used Dean Markley blue steels. Most of the major componants I found on "the bay". The rest of the little stuff I got from either StuMac or LMii.

I bought very limited tools, because I didn't want to invest much if I didn't decide to build more or was unsuccessful. I did by a band saw at a garage sale for $40! Also a drill press for $50. Also assorted hand tools from various sources.

Now lets see if I get the pics right...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Here is some more progress:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive

Jul 1, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    Based on the headstock design and the rear route cover, I'm going to suspect that you're a fan of:

a) Wal basses

b) bassball

:ninja:

6. Well the headstock was supposed to be a little longer but didn't work out that way. I was just going for a 2 + 2 thing. I suppose i had a Wal/CT thing in my head. But the baseball thing... I never really thought about that. But I see it now.

7. thisSNsucks

thisSNsucks I build Grosbeak Guitars and Basses Commercial User

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    Grosbeak Guitars
    Nicely done!

8. MN_Bass

MN_Bass Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2008
    Minnesota
    Great Job!

9. selowitch

selowitch Supporting Member

Aug 6, 2005
    Rockville MD
    Can you make me one?

Sound clips, please!

10. Thanks! I'm contemplating #2 already! I think I'll give a neck thru a try possibly.

11. 4-Bang'er

4-Bang'er Guest

Oct 3, 2006
    Love what U have created here! -2+2 type headstock! Luv that-I hate pointy ugly headstocks so many high end basses seem to have these days. Gr8 work pal!

12. selowich, I can make you one! I don't know if I have the means to record a quality sound clip... But I will try!

13. I think it turned out beautiful bro!

14. Thanks! The headstock ended up a little shorter than I originally wanted, due to my first scarf joint (mis)calculations, but I have learned so much from this first build!

15. BassCycle

BassCycle

Jan 6, 2006
    Temecula, CA
    Builder: Classic Bass Works
    Well done! Of course you know, you are now addicted to building basses. You'll never have to buy another bass.

16. Looks great!! Its different looking but I like it a lot! I also built my current main bass which is what I like. Now nobody in the world has a bass quite like yours. :)

17. I think you are right. I started planning my next one before I finished this one! Before building this my main bass was a Stingray, now it just sits lonely in its case...lol. Dare I say I like the sound and feel of this one even more than my Stingray. I'm sure it will get played again soon, but for now it gets a break!

18. How often do you really get up on that 20+ fret zone?

19. I dont really. Just thought, what the heck. My other basses mostly have less than 24, but I figured maybe I would get over my fear of the upper frets if I had more than I needed at my reach!

20. rtav

rtav Millionaire Stuntman, Half-Jackalope

Dec 12, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Very nice looking! Can't wait to see the next one. :bassist: