1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

I can't decide, so you do it for me... poll.

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by rayzak, Apr 23, 2006.

1. Emma Discombobulator

14 vote(s)
    23.0%
  2. EBS Bass IQ

17 vote(s)
    27.9%
  3. Maxon AF-9

16 vote(s)
    26.2%
  4. Other--please specify

14 vote(s)
    23.0%
  1. rayzak

rayzak

Jan 13, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    Emma Discombobulator
    Maxon AF-9
    EBS Bass IQ
    Other-- specify

Can't for the life of me decide.

2. rayzak

rayzak

Jan 13, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    Which one?

3. I voted for "other please specify" because I have the Q-tron and I think it sounds amazing!

I've heard a lot of good things about the other mentionned though

4. Higgie

Higgie

May 31, 2005
    London, England
    I sold my Q-Tron and DOD FX25 after buying the Maxon. It's a very nice pedal. But haven't tried the other two, so coudln't compare them.

5. Voted EBS because I think its the most "wet" sounding Envelope filter I've ever heard. I will own one in the future.

6. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I feel that each envelope filter sounds/works better or worse with different basses, different playing techniques, and different interactions with other pedals/preamps/etc. I've heard people say totally opposite things about each of the different filters: the EBS is "sterile" to one person and "wet" to another, the Maxon does or does not have a problem with volume jumps, etc., depending on who you're talking to. I would actually recommend buying a few different ones (either used, or from a store that will allow returns) and trying them out with your bass/technique/setup/etc., because all of those parts are very interdependant. I've owned most of the "good" ones, but I still keep a cheapo DOD fx25 around too because I like it.

7. From what I have heard, the EMMA disumBOBulator pwns all. :D

8. vyse933

vyse933

Mar 31, 2006
    Grand Haven, MI
    emma discombobulater...just cause of the name

9. JHL

JHL

Apr 8, 2005
    London, England
    Moog!

10. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Alex and vyse, have either of you ever used the Emma?

11. Tritone

Tritone Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2002
    Santee, America
    This is 100% correct.

12. I own all three and I think bongomania is right on the money. The correct answer is... it depends. All three of these envelope filters are good, but for different reasons.

Currently, I am very much into the Emma. What I like about it is that, compared to the EBS and the AF-9, I feel it has the least impact on the tone and character of my basses. I play a 1960's Vox teardrop hollow-body and a Hamer Cruise Bass (kind of like a J-bass). In other words, it is the most natural sounding, to my ears. So, I would use the terms 'wet' and 'organic' to describe it.

I think the AF-9 is maybe the most tweakable of the three, and may be the contender for "best-envelope-filter-that-can-be-used-for-almost-any-instrument". The way the filter sweeps also feels 'wet' to me. But, in comparison to the Emma, I think it imparts more of a 'filtered' sound, and is not as 'natural' sounding as the Emma.

The EBS is probably the most durable. I think the tracking is also the most accurate, precise and predictable of the three. I don't know for a fact, but would guess that the EBS might be better for 5-stringers. Folks that play funk-style and such that rely on fast, short, tightly spaced notes might also prefer the EBS.

BTW, I voted for the Emma.:cool:

~ Charlie

13. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    I haven't found an envelope filter that can give me a significant gain in sound over my ol' BSW to justify switching.

14. I own the Emma and I will never consider getting rid of it. I don't like the Qtrons, and I have compared the Emma to an EBS BassIQ...I found the EBS very dry and almost irritating, as opposed to the smooth, wet sound coming from the Emma. I havn't had the chance to play thru the AF-9, but, i doubt I'll have a reason to try one

15. The Emma is the punchiest and fastest responder, the EBS is probably the smoothest and most predictable, and the Maxon is the most colored and "filtery" of the three. I personaly prefer the wetness and color of the Maxon. That being said, I've been using a tube envelope filter from Flip called the Funky Box that won't be leaving my setup. If I were you I would also seriously consider Pigtronix's EP-1 envelope phaser. It's got a nasty envelope filter that is quite sensitive, as well as a juicy analog phaser. They offer a modification to allow the phase to be thrown manualy with a foot pedal kind of like a wah but move the phase in and out.

16. Bellbass

Bellbass Supporting Member

Jul 27, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    Pigtronix EP1 anybody?

17. the mooger!

18. GSPLBASSDC

GSPLBASSDC

Jan 25, 2005
    Des Moines, IA
    I voted for the EBS IQ. I've played a lot of envelope filters thru my 5 string and this has that thick, funky wet sound I crave... in addition, my bass idol MM uses one and I LOVE this tone!

19. Is the EBS Bass IQ true by-pass?

20. seansbrew

seansbrew

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    EBS is the smoothest greasiest pedal I have used. I used to own a Mutron and a DOD. I like the EBS pedal the best.