1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

I can't rationalize having more than one guitar

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by InternetAlias, Mar 26, 2013.

1. InternetAlias

InternetAlias

Dec 16, 2010
    Serbia
    I have those times... when I basically think I have too much stuff. I am now selling my fretless P because I feel I have more than I need (but I still play the P a lot). What's wrong with me, and did anyone here ever have issues like his? I get great deals for a 5 stringer, left and right, just to realize that, uh, I am not buying any, because... something. The second I get a second bass I feel bad for some reason, the second I am left with one I feel tremendous joy. Guess I am not your GAS type :D But seriously, has anyone ever felt the conflict of wanting more gear and feeling bad about having too much (to their opinion) gear?

2. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Hey man, if that's how you roll, it's cool. Just get one that you're sure won't break on you at a gig ;)

3. If one bass works for you, that's it:)

I'm not a gigging guy, but if I was I wouldn't take my Ric everywhere because I value it so much. But it's really the only bass I play. I have a crappy homemade fretless Squier P in the corner wiating for the 4 year old strings to come off my Ric, and a solid maple PJ in the closet. It's too heavy to move.:smug:

4. Zoomie

Zoomie

Jan 26, 2012
    East Tennessee
    Nothing is wrong with you. I think that most of us clean house from time to time. I still have too much crap and I am down to 5 basses.

5. Mike M.

Mike M.

Feb 14, 2010
    I've been thinking the same thing lately. Been looking at all I own (bass AND guitar stuff) and keep telling myself that some of it has GOT to go. It really does.

Which raises a question. These days, what's the safest way to sell gear? I've been slowly buying this, that and the other thing since around 2000, but the last time I sold any gear was back in the 70's!! Back then you'd put an add in the local paper and that was it! These days I don't like the idea of strangers coming over to my house. I'm just not at all comfortable with that idea.

6. mystic38

mystic38

Dec 4, 2012
    Mystic CT
    I guess you have not heard of Ebay?....:D

7. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

For the first time in a long time, I'm down to one bass. I know I'm going to regret it if anything ever happens on a gig and I have to play my drummers headless Cort.

8. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I see your point. I don't have a lot of basses - any more. I think it's different for different people. If you are a studio guy for example, you probably need a few options.

For me (no band currently, playing in church) I find two (Roscoe fretted and fretless 5's) to be justifiable for me. I could do any gig I would have around here (small town,no one cares that much, we all do jazz on fretted electrics, etc.) with a fretted 4. I like to have a 5 for church, and I like the option of the fretless for church and the occasional jazz fill in gig.

In my situation, I can't really justify any more than that. I don't see myself "needing" another bass, but I wouldn't mind a fretted 6 for some experimentation.

9. mazdah

mazdah

Jan 29, 2010
    Kalisz, Poland
    If my bass would be stolen - I'm cooked.
    If my bass needs being serviced or repaired - I'm cooked.

I have two P-basses. I don't need more, but I think a backup is a handy one.

I'm not afraid of string snapping or electronic failure during the gig, but there are certain times when I just HAVE to have a second bass. I hate borrowing an instrument and I can't say "no" to a good paying gig because my instrument is being serviced at the moment.

10. unclejane

unclejane Guest

Jul 23, 2008
    To be honest, I'd not do it any other way. The selling-over-email-and-UPS thing is a recipe for utter disaster in my experience and I'll never sell anything that way again. UPS does everything in their power to destroy everything they ship, the buyer always finds some way to weasel out of the deal or they disappear with your bass, the seller always finds a way to do something bad to you or they disappear with your money... It's a total fustercluck buying/selling at a distance.

Nowadays, when I sell something (which is extremely rare), I insist that the buyer comes over personally to check it out. That way, there's no surprises - he or she sees exactly what they're getting, and the buyer is protected. And as the seller, they don't walk away with it until I see the fist full of dollars. The seller is protected.

So really, the Old Fashioned Way is still the only truly secure method of transacting a sale in my experience. This leaves out all the middle men like UPS, evilbay and all the rest.

But then again, that's why I too have so much stuff lol. My gigging amps I'd love to get rid of, but noone wants to come all the way to my place to check them out so...

LS

11. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    If you hang out at bass sites you will all sorts of things that you might never had thought of on your own. I have had to learn to appreciate what others do and have while appreciating my own situation. If one works for you, fine.

12. Jookbox

Jookbox Registered Drummer

Mar 16, 2006
    California
    Still on my first bass. Want to get a 5 string this year. If I do, I would just tune my current bass to Eb. That would be really convenient.

13. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    I use an SR5 at every gig. It's built like a tank, so I'm confident that it will be there for me. But my Carvin XB75P sits patiently in it's case, because you never know. I can't imagine a gigging musician not having a backup. It's a risky business proposition, kinda like not having a backup of critical files on your computer.

14. I felt bad about having to much gear when I had to restring 3 5-strings at a time because of different tunings. It was worse than lugging a 810 cab an being told to turn down. Now I have a 7 that covers all three of those tunings and a 410 cab. 7 strings are easier to change than 15. I haven't wanted another fretted bass since but I would like to also have a 5 or 6 string fretless.

What I'm saying is get a bass that can get all the fretted sounds you want and if you want something else get something completely different like a fretless or an upright.

15. richntiff

richntiff Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2012
    Northern Wisconsin
    I have two basses - can't see having more than 3. But, I really want 3 :)

16. I go through this every so often. Usually after a period of collecting musical equipment I thought I needed, then I find that I have things sitting around collecting dust. It really just depends on your needs. I had one bass for years, a '75 Fender P bass. But that thing was indestructible. I didn't feel like I needed a backup. Barring a major accident, basses are pretty tough. They're not fragile little things like a violin.

17. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    I have a buddy whose '69 Les Paul got lifted at a gig. He's chatting with a young lady after the show, then next thing he knows it's gone. It happens.

18. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    If I had to sell a bass and couldn't sell it here I would try a local store consignment long before I would use Ebay and deal with the possible scam artists and pay for a sale which may not happen.

19. GG7

GG7

Mar 14, 2013
    I think TWO is the best number. You basically have a back up. In my case, the two models I own I think cover all the musical genre's the best, and with some good crossover in tone options. :)

20. jason weatherby

jason weatherby

Aug 30, 2012
    Craigslist. Just don't ever give your address out - ever. Meet in a public place. Your local Police Dept or State Police parking lot is an _excellent_ spot, BTDT. Most rip-offs won't agree to that or will no-show.