I committed discrimination...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by JayAmel, Sep 28, 2003.

1. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    Last Thursday, I was with my wife at the terrace of a McDonald restaurant, and we were having lunch.

We were talking when a group of persons arrived and asked if the other chairs around our table were available. I replied that we were only two, and these people sat down around the table with us. According to their talking, they were obviously from Netherlands.

They began talking so that my wife and I couldn't go further in our conversation. I asked these people to respect our intimity, but they kept on talking, just like we weren't there.

My wife and I finally left the table, and one of the women made a sign, just like saying with hypocrisy : "don't feel hurried, we are not disturbed by your presence".

That was too much at this point. I went into anger and yelled : "anyway, you people from Netherlands, you are so unpolite that we don't need you, neither here nor in Europe !". None of them reacted.

Of course, what I said was not a reflect of what I think about people from Netherlands, but it's true that here, in the South of France, many of them are very unpolite. Though, in their own country which I visited several times, they are really fine people. Probably some of them act that way because many people native from South of France are unpolite and respectless themselves. Well, I dunno.

Anyway, I'm always respectful of other people, and I don't regret yelling at these assholes. Just I realized I committed discrimination, and it's anger that made me act that way.
  2. Plucky

Jun 18, 2002
    you just got angry and said something youre already ashamed of. that doesnt really make you a racist, but maybe anger made you go too far. racism is a really stupid thing, just a fear of people with different looks, habits, languages, etc. also, its usually misinterpreted as a problem dealing with foreign people, when its really a problem with yourself (if you are racist). im not saying youre one, just putting an example.

you just have to manage anger and point it to a different target. Ie: Happy Meals. "This goddamn Happy Meal doesnt have the friggin Transformer i was waiting for!!!!!!!!".
  3. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    it wasnt racism. last i checked, the french and people from the netherlands are both white, so i dont think it is racism./
  4. it would be nationalism, but yea either way they were rude and didn't respect the moment you were trying to have(which i don't think it could have been that special if it was at mcdonalds?) but whatever you should of told those dutchies to smoke one and shut up! hehe
  5. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    this thread will go far!

6. Obsolex

Obsolex Guest

Nov 17, 2002
    Lol, your crazy Deep... Anyway, that's not racism, you just got pist off... I mean, you probably wouldn't have done it if they were two skinheads... lol:rolleyes: :p
  7. ARA punk

ARA punk

Jul 11, 2001
    USA, Shelby, NC
    I dont think you reacted poorly. They were at fault here, so if they were offended by your comments, they brought it on themselves.

I'm sure that had you not been so enraged that you wouldn't have responded with the same choice of words. Its all good.
  8. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    They asked if they could sit there. They didn't ask to be your long-lost buddies. Why would they automatically want you in their conversation?
  9. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

More than anything else, you were at first polite to rude people.

Perhaps they could have been a little more inclusive and/or thankful, especially since you accomodated them. There are inconsiderate people everywhere.

You had without explanation, every right to leave without acknowledging them, since they seemed to not respect your gesture of goodwill.

But their rudeness seems to have gotten the better of you at that moment.

Sometimes it seems no good deed goes unpunished.
  10. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I dont know - maybe we're too laid back here in Austr, or maybe I'm not understanding you properly. I'm not sure why you lost your temper at them. When someone here askes if they can sit at a spare seat, we generally continue our own seperate private conversations, almost as if we were sitting at two seperate tables. That's the done thing.

Were they being loud and oboxious?
  11. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    Yes. I believe he said this in his first post. :)
  12. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
    Don't you just hate tourists! :p

You had every right to get angry! I would have been pissed off too! I don't think I would call it racism. It would'nt have mattered what nationality. The point is, that was rude. Me personally, I would have never gone into McDonalds.....Don't you know fast food gives you gas!!! ;)
  13. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    They were rude, but your response sucked.

Rascism is a very ugly thing. I see too many people trying to justify what you said and I think its messed up. Im not trying to scold you; you obviously know you shouldnt have insulted them by making a general blanket statement based on their nationality. Thats why you started this thread. Just relax and try to remind yourself of how you felt for that next time a similar circumstance arisses.

Hate someone because they're a jerk. Hate someone because they hurt you. Hate someone because of how they treat others. Dont hate someone because they are different than you.

PS: Ive done similar things and Im not proud either. Its cool that you mentioned it like this.
  14. thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    Or better yet, don't hate at all.

Being pissed at someone is different from hating them, in my books anyway.
  15. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    I don't understand how this is acceptable. Everyone in this thread, except for one, has excused you for your actions. I can't. It's significant that you recognize that your actions were wrong; however, I feel that's it's important, even further, to evaluate what about you, when in anger, made you lash out at them based upon nationality. There are rude people and polite people, (unfortunately far more of the former than the latter). Nationality has nothing to do with it. There are rude and polite French people, rude and polite Netherlanders, rude and polite Nigerians, rude and polite Jews, Christians, Latinos, Nebraskans, Chinese, men, women, etc.

Your actions were inexcusable and your contriteness is admirable.
  16. Obsolex

Obsolex Guest

Nov 17, 2002
    Hmmm... I can see why your mad... But like I said, if they could kick his ass he probably wouldn't have said anything though man... He was really pist off because they were both being jerks, and he just blurted out something that would let them know it.

He just snapped...
  17. You took your wife to McDonalds to have an intimate conversation? The way I see it you were the rude one and you owe your wife an apology. Might I suggest Burger King for your next intimate rendezvous?:D :D

18. Mike racism is not just a black and white issue.

Racism: A belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superority of a particular race.
    Example: Adolf Hitler
  19. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    C'est pas "racism", tu bete grenouille!

Je rigole trop.
  20. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I agree. I shouldnt have used the word hate but I figured a stronger word might work more effectively. Aparently it didnt.