I don't like being told what to wear.

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by njones89, Aug 26, 2017.

1. A power ranger cosplay.

40 vote(s)
    14.5%
  2. Full frontal nudity, with P-bass hiked slightly above groin area.

42 vote(s)
    15.3%
  3. Blow up godzilla suit.

50 vote(s)
    18.2%
  4. Yellow Macho Man Randy Savage shirt and jeans.

88 vote(s)
    32.0%
  5. Pink (salmon) shirt and short shorts.

55 vote(s)
    20.0%
  1. njones89

njones89

Mar 27, 2015
    Sioux Falls
    After essentially what was a bad performance, the singer (and the guitarist, but not as much) has been looking into the extraneous details of the last show, and basically blaming the crowd for not getting into the music. I think they are being ridiculous and unprofessional. At the show, both of them gave me and the drummer crap for not looking "metal enough". I had a yellow Macho Man Randy Savage shirt on. And yes I got compliments on it from multiple people. Yes I also stood out, because pretty much 80% of the crowd was wearing black. The drummer had some cargo shorts on. Who cares?

Today the singer emailed us about it again. I am starting to get angry about it. I'm a good looking guy. I'm fit, I take time to style my hair. I don't need some chomo with a pube beard telling me how to dress for a show... why a shirt an issue when 3/4 bandmates are overweight? Also, the drummer's shorts have never been an issue in any other band I've been in. What is an assertive way to respond to this. I am usually very courteous and respectful toward others and I am about to lose some tact.

Be sure to vote in the poll about my next gig outfit.

Jimmy4string and zeb_bass like this.
  2. sean_on_bass

sean_on_bass Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2005
    USA
    T-shirt and jeans seems par for the course for a metal group...hell you could even wear shorts. I've seen plenty of hard rock bands wear shorts, it's normal. I think you should wear what you want to wear. A metal band just wearing all black is pretty boring really. No need to serve a stereotype. What happened to metal being fun?

3. RoadRanger

RoadRanger Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
    Original metal bands generally self destruct over the shared delusion that anybody but other metal musicians should like their music and that it's one (or more) of the bandmember's fault if they get the crickets response. If you enjoy playing it heck yah - wear whatever the fork you want and metal on Garth :thumbsup: .

4. craigie

craigie

Nov 11, 2015
    calgary
    My vote is one of the village people (your choice). "What's with you guys? Didn't you get the memo?"

5. Aberdumbie

Aberdumbie

Jan 22, 2016
    South Carolina
    One of the first hard lessons of band reality..... Sometimes compromises for the sake of the whole are warranted. I played on the road almost ten years with a drunken slob of a man. But lord he was an exceptional musician and performer too. If the man was in your house he would snuff out his smoke on the carpet. That much of a disgusting slob.... Heck these guys may view you as being overly hung up on your buff physique. Who knows? Whole point is, no two people see things the same way. And doubly so in a group where artistic concerns rival personal concerns. If you want to go someplace in this dog eat dog biz, look beyond the minor flaws we all have and start polishing up what is right. Not as easy as it sounds but it is a recipe for succes. Best of luck to you.

6. Ekulati

Ekulati Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2016
    Richmond, VA
    What's it pay? Good money, then wear what they tell you. "Beer" money, wear what you want. You decide "good" vs. "beer."

RSBBass, Rip Van Dan, DavC and 5 others like this.
  7. I'm surprised anyone noticed...??

metallicahulk.png

Hulk-Hogan-Almost-Joined-Metallica.jpg

8. yodedude2

yodedude2 Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2005
    san antonio, texas
    i vote that you go as a bald overweight 50+ mma fan.

or as george strait.

Smelly and Ant Illington like this.
  9. BusyFingers

BusyFingers

Nov 26, 2016
    Cargo shorts: the second leading cause of band break-ups, second only to meddling girlfriends.

10. bolophonic

bolophonic

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    I evaluate metal bands by how they sound, but I can also smell a poseur a mile away. So actually being metal is more important than dressing in a uniform. I went to see Nails/Toxic Holocaust/Gatecreeper a while back and wore gray camo pants, orange sneakers and a chartreuse windbreaker because literally all 300 other people there were dressed in black band shirts and cargos.

What type of shows are you playing? Around here, we usually know most of the people in the scene, so attire is not a big deal.

jmattbassplaya and Ellery like this.
  11. monsterthompson

monsterthompson The Eighth Note Wonder Of The World Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2008
    Hollywood
    Wes Borland is a good source of inspiration.

limpbizkit-104526.jpg

12. Nev375

Nev375

Nov 2, 2010
    Missouri
    ylstm-bg.jpg

13. Oddly

Oddly

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    Not a big fan of the guy but there's no denying he's metal enough for any band.
    Even in cargo shorts ... and possibly even more worrying, white socks!
    2e6c3bb4e947d667774a5043e4d2121d.jpg

Also I think a drummer gets a pass on shorts anyway ... who's gonna see what he or she is wearing?

14. BassBrass

BassBrass

Jul 6, 2009
    Boston MA
    The yellow Randy man T is excellent, just wear loose black or dark grey pants or jeans, do not wear blue jeans like a country boy or a mom/dad. I know you don't like being told what to wear, but it's theater dude! Show biz, a Reason to live. Black shorts are fine for the drummer in Summer. Anybody else have any problems from this point is just an idiot. (just saw, camo shorts are ok too)

15. monsterthompson

monsterthompson The Eighth Note Wonder Of The World Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2008
    Hollywood
    ...still chuckling at the thread about not liking to be told what to wear, but also asking for TB to tell the OP what to wear.

Futurama-Fry.jpg

Loring, Grumpynuts, PillO and 32 others like this.
  16. ThePresident777

ThePresident777

Oct 6, 2013
    Get your singer some Kiss dolls to play with, and some barbie cloths too.

17. craigie

craigie

Nov 11, 2015
    calgary
    Dude, what's chartreuse? ;):laugh:

Not my scene but this must be true. There must be other issues.

smogg likes this.
  18. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    Chartreuse-Colour-Sample-1600-acrylic.jpg

Last edited: Aug 26, 2017
  19. Dean N

Dean N

Jul 4, 2006
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I'd show up to the next gig in a My Little Pony t-shirt. And tell the singer to shut his mouth hole next time he brings it up.

Of course, if he's the agreed upon bandleader, then get in line or leave the band.

rodv66 likes this.
  20. Stevorebob

Stevorebob Well... I Am Here, Aren't I? Supporting Member

Sep 29, 2011
    Los Angeles
    If you gotta ask, if ya gotta coordinate, if ya gotta discuss, it ain’t metal… or punk… or rock… it’s pop. Sorry. Very sorry.

Mktrat, Grumpynuts, Sartori and 18 others like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 16, 2022