1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

i feel bad

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BassIsFun17, Mar 11, 2008.

1. BassIsFun17

BassIsFun17

Jan 16, 2006
    Atlanta
    i feel bad
    because
    i got a brice hxb-406 for xmas
    and while i like the sound, i just dont really like having six strings
    my ibanez btb555 plays better and feels better.
    but i feel bad if i abandon the brice. what do people with like 10 basses do? how do they abandon a certain bass for another? i feel bad when i do that.

2. Marcury

Marcury High and Low

Aug 19, 2007
    Mid Hudson Valley, NY
    Get over it!

3. jbiscuti

jbiscuti

Dec 22, 2007
    NYC / LA
    Endorsing Artist: Grolsch Strap Locks
    What the heck? If you don't like it, just sell it!

4. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    A bass is a tool. It's not a kid. It's not a puppy. It's not even a goldfish. Sell it and move on.

5. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    I can kind of understand. Since the bass was a gift, there's a certain hangup that most people would have if they found that they didn't like it and wanted to sell it.

It's a little bit bigger than a lame sweater. This is a bass that someone other than the OP spent several hundred dollars on. I can understand why he is hesitant to sell it.

6. pedroims

pedroims

Dec 19, 2007
    Michigan
    I have four basses and I play all of them , they are differents types.

7. Is the neck too big for you? I've seen lots of people play five stringers with one less string on and even a guy with a four stringer playing it with 3, not sure how it might mess with the neck though.

Know what you mean about not wanting to get rid of it, had to sell my first bass a while ago cos I was really skint and thought the guy would actually play it, wish I could get it back and have it hanging in my room or something.

8. ggunn

ggunn

Aug 30, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Give it a chance. You haven't had it very long, and there's some getting acclimated that you have to go through to be able to play an extended range bass. I'd say play it exclusively (no going back to the Ibanez for the sake of comfort) for a couple more months of playing daily or nearly so and see how you feel then. It seems to me that right now you are focused on what you don't like about it as compared to the Ibanez but haven't spent very much time looking for the advantages that can be had in playing the 6er.

9. BassIsFun17

BassIsFun17

Jan 16, 2006
    Atlanta
    i think alot of it is the small string spacing
    and the lack of a propper setup
    so im gonna get it setup and see how i like it then.
    but if i stick with 6er's im gonna get one with a bigger spacing.

10. wdinc01

wdinc01

Nov 19, 2005
    Jacksonville, FL
    Definitely get it set up so that it's comfortable to play. And if you still aren't really into it, keep it so you'll have something to mess around when in case a moment of inspiration hits you.

11. Basshole

Basshole Banned

Jan 28, 2005
    I'd say give it some time, and perhaps a better setup. Since it was a present, and the spirit of its gift to you was for your playing enjoyment, if you decide to sell it, consider purchasing another instrument you like better in "exchange". Explain to the person who gave it to you that an instrument is a very personal thing, and that you respect and appreciate their gift highly, and in the spirit of such, have chosen to "turn it into" that very instrument that they surely hoped you would truly love, appreciate, and make use of.

12. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    There's no law that says your new bass has to be your favorite. Just whip it out when your friend comes around and everything should be cool.;)