1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I feel like I'm losing it!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Valiant Bandit, May 19, 2011.

1. Help yourself. It's one of my favorite quotes too (I didn't write it).

2. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    Massachusetts
    +1

I'm 30, and I was born with Cerebral Palsy. That has never stopped me from anything in life, but eventually it stopped me from working. I used to work for Verizon making $22/hr with full health and dental and retirement. In 2007 I got diagnosed with Carpal Tunnel from all my years of crutch use. This forced me to go on SSDI and stop working full time permanently because the work I am restricted to, office and what not, I can no longer do it since my hands are usually in some measure of pain or discomfort. I play drums and bass, and fortunately they are actually a form of therapy.

So I went from $40+k a year to just under $20k on SSDI. I wound up becoming a stay at home husband and I found a love for gardening, lawncare, general home maintenance, cooking and I had time to play music.

Life was great, I was happy and my wife and I were very well off financially. Fast forward to last June. My wife and I separated, and in September I had to get an apartment. I lost the house (she got to keep it because we had no equity when values dropped and she makes 3 times my income), lost most of my friends who decided to take sides, and was put in a just barely paycheck to paycheck situation.

Fast forward again to now. I'm with someone new, and while my finances aren't much better, in September I'm moving in with her to a new state, and a new life. I'll be able to get things back on track financially, but even before then, she is everything I needed in my life. She supports my musical and creative side, she supports me emotionally, and where my wife and I had some issues regarding my not being able to work, she supports me financially (not literally..)

My point is, everything went from pure **** to something I couldn't have imagined less than a year ago. I still have things i have to work through, but I'm happy and thankful for the good things I have in life again, and I know I'm back on the fast track to having the life I always wanted and used to have.

Best of luck to you. It will all work out if you really want it to and don't give up hope.

3. +1000 For your post man, it really touched me. I'm just like you man, I'd rather be struggling financially and have my wife than making 70K and a lonely drug addict.

I just want to give my wife the world and when I have children, I want to give them the world as well which is why sometimes working at this joke of a job gets the best of me.

However it could be much worse. I get paid hourly plus comission to sell appliances. I get to sit on my arse for over 75% of my shift and surf the internet when nobody's around. I text my wife while sitting on my arse and I get paid for it. I'd be pissed if I had to work another department in this store for minimum wage though...They REALLY get the shaft!