Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I got my BAM 210!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by alembic5, Feb 3, 2005.

1. alembic5

alembic5

Dec 5, 2004
    Seattle, Wa.
    Got my Peavey BAM 210 from TB user SinCity last night. First let me say that this guy is top notch... his packing job, communication, and integrity are second to none! This thing is in perfect condition, and I have to saw... wow!! This blows the doors off of any other 210 combo I've played yet. I was thinking about an eden metro, but this thing spanks it with a ton of other features to boot! I have a practice to go to tonight... it will be awesome to see what it sounds like when I can crank it up a bit! Thanks as well to those TB members that gave me your impressions of the amp! Your reviews were spot on! :)

2. Ralphdaddy

Ralphdaddy Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    Ahh excellent, others who understand the awesome greatness of this amp! My only complaint is I can't turn it abover 1.5 on or my keyboardist starts bitching at practice. But man are they cool as hell amps. I'll be using mine live for the first time next Friday at the Chicago Auto Show, nothing but good times baby, congrats on the purchase and welcome to the club!

3. alembic5

alembic5

Dec 5, 2004
    Seattle, Wa.
    Well, I'm back from practice. Holy cow... this amp has one of the most impressive array of tones I've heard yet! There was another bassist there using a hartke 4-10 and going through the PA, while I was off to the side working on my stuff. I was able to out volume the guy with the Hartke! Not only is this thing loud, but the low B is rock solid. I don't know how I got by without this thing! It's no lightweight, but sure is lighter than the full stack I was toting around before. I'm interested to try adding my single 15" cab below it... I can only imagine what it will do then! If you haven't tried one of these, I highly recommend it. VERY versatile sounds, and pretty darn affordable if purchased used!

4. jazza42uk

jazza42uk

Sep 14, 2001
    Bristol, UK
    How do you guys get on with the octaver? One of my mates has this amp, and while he loves it to bits he can't get the octaver to track properly, no matter what he does. His bass is an old Fender P.

5. Ralphdaddy

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    I've heard other people have had issues with octaver, personally I don't use any of the effects but the distortion which IS good. But yeah, this amp is just un-insert expletive-believable man. The bad news is Peavey's discontinuing it soon which is sad but at least we got ours before they did, such cool amps and crazy versatile, glad you love yours.

6. alembic5

alembic5

Dec 5, 2004
    Seattle, Wa.
    Yeah, it's a shame that they are getting rid of it! I don't use the octaver either... I played around with it, and it did have problems with the lower strings, but worked fine in the upper register. I mostly just add a touch of chorus or sometimes some flanger. Great quality effects! The amp models are pretty darn convincing too. Good stuff!

7. anyone try out the BAM Head?? I'm looking into that. seems like a nice steal for the features it has

8. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I don't use the octaver on mine much, but it tracks OK from the C on the A string on up. Pretty much like any other octaver I have ever used.

The phaser, flanger, chorus and distortion are what I use the most, and they are all very good.

If I ever find a BAM head at a decent used price, I would love to have one to pair with my Schroeder 1210.

9. guitar center is giving them away for 499.99 that's why i'm interested

10. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Oh come on. Personal opinion is not fact.

-Mike

11. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Bit touchy, are we?

Regarding the ocataver, it KILLS in the higher registers of a six-string. A pseudo-synth sound that sounds amazing.

The amp as a whole is hot. As soon as my comes back from the shop, I'm selling my 8 ohm Peavey 4x10 and getting a 4 ohm Avatar 112 so I can run my BAM at 2 ohms. It's gonna be hot. :D

12. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    I thought you were talking about the combo for a second, and nearly had a coronary, considering what I just paid for mine.

13. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Yeah, probably. I love Eden gear, but I don't let that fact cloud my judgement. I have played through a BAM on multiple occassions. You can't go wrong with either combo. I don't think one "spanks" the other. I consider them equal, with each one having an advantage or two over the other.

Nice choice on a 112. I have a SB112, and I think it sounds excellent. Have you played Avatar cabs before? If not, you are in for a treat when you hook it up to your BAM.

-Mike

14. Ralphdaddy

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    You sure you want to get a 112 Michael? Stop by my house and check out my BAM into my B410 man, on TWO it's as though the gods of thunder have descended upon my basement. The depth of tone is unbelievable... you really can't beat a good 4x10 brother. You know the only thing that strikes me as a minor distraction about it is that the internal 2x10 gets the same amount of juice as the external 4x10 which for me can be disconcerting since I expect so much more power out of the 410, but in truth makes no real difference because even the internal speakers never fart out. I'm not going to lie, other than a 400+ I don't even want any other amps anymore. I loaned my brother my GK and I don't even miss it haha. Check this out though, my band is playing a gig at the Chicago Auto Show next Friday, how sweet is that? It's a daytime gig sadly but who cares?? You guys played a show a week ago right, how'd it go? Just PM me, I feel bad highjacking the man's thread. My apologies sir, the more you use that BAM the more you'll see it's an unbelievable amplifier. I keep saying it because I've never played through anything I like better and I've played through a bunch of stuff. Congrats once more.

15. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    No, I'm actually going to buy the cab sight-unseen, something I usually loathe to do. With all the hoopla, however, and the fact that it fits what I need perfectly (and it's pretty cheap), I'm just going to pull the trigger and see what happens!

rd- you got pm

16. Pneuma

Pneuma

Feb 14, 2004
    Arkansas
    Possibly it's just because we play in such a large place all the time, but I run mine at almost 10 mostly. I back it off just enough so that the damage indicator light doesn't ever come on.

Out of curiosity, what amp models do most of you use? I've found that, even though I've got all the little whizz bang doo-dads, I think the straight bam/210 standard clean is the best sound out of it.

I've used the octaver a little fooling around... I actually like it adjust it so that it phases in and out on the low strings. It gives kind-of a neat warbling asymmetrical sound on sustained notes.

If you use the distortion, you may want to use it in conjunction with a *BOOST* setting that has lower levels on your gains and such. If you don't (and you set the amp out to be as loud as I run it), when you hit your distortion you'll max the gain out and it'll clip horrendously, not to mention totally throw off whatever volume you were aiming for. The distortion is nice sounding though... reminds me of Grammatrain.

I haven't found the auto-wah to be that good so far, nor the synth. The rest are all pretty nice. The input trim is fantastic, and I really dig the adjustable XLR... which is great cause I can run it out pre or post pre. Nice if you run through a PA or do recording with it.

I've really enjoyed the BAM since I've had it for a few months now.... but I wish it were louder. :)

P.

17. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    :eek: 10? As in, all the way up? Or do you mean 10 o'clock in terms of knob position? 'Cause I cant imagine being in a place big enough to turn up to 10! You're gonna start breaking things!

I also really like the BAM 2x10 as a speaker, but I usually use the GK model for my amp. That or the Redhead, which sounds a little darker than the BAM amp.

I found that the 1x18 model kicks all kind of ass if you add a tweeter in. There's some DEEP bass in there, and with the tweeter you can get out without sounding like mud.

18. Ralphdaddy

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    I'm with Mike, I use the Redhead, SVT and BAM all with their respective cab models most of the time. I love the boom of the SVT and the growl of the Peavey with the clean tone of the SWR. Different horses for different courses is my take on it. I don't use the effects much but I like the distortion to some degree... good times.

19. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Here's a question: Does anyone use the B-15 fliptop or the Bassman models? Both the amps and their modeled cabs sound like poop to me. :meh:

PS - Ralph, the estimate on my amp is late next week, assuming they don't have to order parts. Which they don't know, yet. :rolleyes: :eyebrow:

20. Ralphdaddy

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    Figures... nothing ever goes right, I've been waiting 2 months for a preamp from EMG when the pups came in 3 weeks ago. Regardless, I like both those models but they take a little more EQing, especially the Bassman. The way they designed that preset was utter crap. Cut the highs, drop the mid point and raise the mids and boost the bass and it'll sound fine. The 2x12 model might not be the best for it. The B-15 I like, lots of boom to it, somewhat similar to the Acoustic 360 but with a little more definition and less growl. But, I really only use the SVT, Redhead and Peavey models. Go figure. If you want I'll send you my EQ settings for my sound... you can be like me man, and that's a pretty groovy position :rolleyes: