Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I got the gig

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Howard K, Oct 13, 2003.

1. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    Auditioned Saturday, played through the worst bass amp in the world which seriously affected my confidence, as did the drummer in the session who was seriously, seriously good (i.e. a real drummer!) and made me realise how completely amateur I was in terms of technique, feel and just general skill :(

But I got the gig - probably because of my sense of humour rather than my playing to be honest(it's only bass after all!), but I guess it all counts :meh:

The band is basically a pop/rock act going under the name of the lead singer Jenna Myles - who writes and co-writes some great material (they actually have songs!) with the guitarist. Nice people, good songh, promising plans.. all good :)

I'm pretty hopefull this could get somewhere since the singer has a management deal and has showcases lined up.
    Plus by the end of the 5 hour audition (yes, five bl~~dy hours!) in which we worked on 11 songs (ten of which I'd had on CD for a week in advance), they were sounding pretty darned good - i.e. better than many bands achieve in months of hard rehearsal.

So, hopefully we'll work well together and you'll see me on top of the pops in a few months time ;)

that's all

2. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    :D Congrats!

From the impression I get reading your posts, I doubt you're as amateur-ish as you make yourself out to be -- so stop selling yourself short, man!

;)

3. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    Thanks, but everything is relative, of course!

This drummer just blew my mind, he was SO good! A pro player who does west end shows and plays jazz sax... a real, proper musician! I can hopefully learn a lot from playing with him :)

4. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    Congratulations, Mr.K!
    Rock on!:bassist:

5. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Good Work! Enjoy it!

6. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    Awsome man, have fun ;);)

7. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Congrats, man! Sounds like a great gig.:cool:

8. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    congrats

:)

9. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    good job mate
    ahhhhhhhh the joys of playing with a good drummer know no bounds.....none

10. bill h

bill h

Aug 31, 2002
    small town MN
    A "first class gig" with great musicians:D Can it get better? Just strait up Cool.