1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

I had a bad jam night!

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by zeppfan90, Mar 27, 2013.

1. zeppfan90

zeppfan90

Mar 27, 2013
    I've been playing bass for about 2 years now. I started going to a local blues jam and it is fun! I did really good the first 2 nights I went! I am the youngest player that goes, all the other jammers and the hosting band of the jam are much more experienced and older. Anyway, one of the guitarists wants to give me lessons because he teaches, he is a great guitarist! And I've jammed with him at the open jam and says I am pretty good for only 2 years under me. This last time though, I had my girlfriend, and a few friends from work to come watch me. For the first time when we up there to jam he just got in my ear the whole time. We were going to do a jam in Em and instead of letting me do what I have been and letting me feel the music he was telling me what to play and how to play it! I do not know why! he is much older and experienced so I got intimidated and just got really put under pressure. There is a time and a place for lessons right? And it is an open jam and he would not let me jam. They pulled me down after 2 songs and switched me with another, more experienced bassist. Usually I am up there for at least a half hour playing! It has just made me really feel unconfident about my playing now. What should I do about this? How should I feel? Thanks!

2. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    You rock, he's a jerk.

3. zeppfan90

zeppfan90

Mar 27, 2013
    Thanks! honestly I want to find a different jam to go to now because I am afraid he will try to do that to me all the time. It was just really embarrassing. I know how to play! he just would not let me do what I do this time and I do not know why

4. JoeWPgh

JoeWPgh

Dec 21, 2012
    Just part of growing up, my friend. There are good days and bad days. Me? I've never learned anything from the good ones, regardless of how gratifying they are. Make the most of the bad ones. That's where you learn, painful though it may be at the moment.

5. m0ranwad

m0ranwad

Jan 29, 2013
    Unless there was something fundamentally wrong with the way you were playing, I'd find another group of musicians. You're job is to outline the music, and keep a solid rhythm, and especially at an open jam - you should be able to do this in whatever expressive way you please.

There are time and place to give constructive criticism, but it sounds more like he wanted complete control. That's why we call them gui****s.

6. JoeWPgh

JoeWPgh

Dec 21, 2012
    The other thing to wonder is whether he was challenging you to stand up to him. Some people play that game.

7. Bassdirty

Bassdirty

Jul 23, 2010
    CT
    Did you introduce.him to your GF and workfriends?
    it sounds like he was trying to play the "im awesome and know everything and am gonna prove it by letting you know exactly what your doin wrong..and how a pro does it" card..
    Does this fella bring "adoring fans " to come down and watch while he has a swell time jammin?

im gonna take a stab and say no..and that he was trying to impress your fans..by tryin to make you feel like an amature.

anyway..yea..id find a new open jam. keep practicin and dont let it get ya down. And..congrats on gettin. a support team to come cheer you on. lots of people (maybe your guitarist buddy included) have a hard time gettin people to come watch them..even when ur in a band..let alone open mic scenario.

rock on brudda

8. zeppfan90

zeppfan90

Mar 27, 2013
    Well I did not actually introduce him to them. He always talks to me before he goes up because he is the guitarist for the band that hosts the jam. So he saw that people came to watch me go up and jam. I think that is why he did it too, like he had to prove something? It was a sucky situation. lol

9. JoeWPgh

JoeWPgh

Dec 21, 2012
    If he needs to establish his monkey dominance at a blues open stage, you'll leave him in your dust long before either you realize it. Don't let it get you down, but do solve the puzzle of his game.