I hate cell phones.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by i like tictacs, Jul 9, 2005.

1. I lost mine, on the eve of a concert where I'm supposed to be meeting a bunch of people. Lo and behold, I don't know the numbers off the top of my head. I deliver pizza so it could be spread anywhere throughout the 30 square miles of my town.

SWEET. I've always hated the bloody things anyway.
  2. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Can't you ask anyone else to call it for you?

Was it an expensive one?
  3. AuG

May 22, 2005
    Fort Collins, CO
    When I lost my phone, I went to my provider and they got me hooked up with a used phone for cheap. If you have insurance, they could get you set up with a new one for free. Do it fast so no one makes any long distance calls on your phone. :spit:
  4. It was expensive about a year ago, it was probably average at this point. Cheap camera phone, pretty big too. I won't really miss it, but I'm just pissed that I need to set up plans and I can't hear it when I call it because it's on vibrate and I doubt it's in my house anyway.
  5. fr0me0

Dec 7, 2004
    Winnipeg Canada
    I know what you mean man I've got a ton of number in my phone that I don't know off hand.
  6. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    Seeing this post at the top of the new posts list just freaked me out. I just came back from running on the beach, and while I was there I was thinking about coming back here and starting a thread about my hatred for cellphones. I was looking at the hoards of people who were laying on the beach, walking on the beach, hanging with friends on the beach - GLUED to their cellphones. So many people are so caught up in their little affairs on the phone - they're missing the beach, people, silence, being with themselves, being with their friends. Yeah, I know there's the opposite side like, maybe they couldn't get to the beach if they didn't have their cellphones because they had some important business or something - but I honestly think that's rarely the case. More and more people are closing out their immediate worlds and becoming lost inside their cellphones. A really good friend of mine who abhored the things just a few years back, spent this 4th of July at a party with me, by himself 3/4 of the time, responding to messages and talking on his phone. It's a horrible thing. He used to be an incredibly sociable person. Now he doesn't even realize what he's doing.

I have a cellphone. I pay $15 a month. Costs me about $.35 a minute to use. I use it when I have to - if I'm going to be late, if I'm picking someone up, if I'm lost. If people want to get in touch with me they have to either catch me at home, or leave a message. I really dislike cellphones. I think they're incredibly rude too. I could go on and on....
  7. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I think cellphones are great. A week or so ago though, I saw a kid at the beach, his back to the water, playing a game on his cellphone. I thought that was pretty stupid. But that's not the cellphone's fault. Ultimately, I think it's a very good thing that it's becoming cheap and easy for everyone to have the ability to talk to everyone else. I think everyone should have a cell phone, makes more sense than land lines in most ways. Plus you can turn them off!
  8. I like my cellphone cause I can talk to friends from out of the state, and not be charged an arm and a leg.
  9. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    Optimum voice lets me talk to anyone I want anywhere I want for no extra charge whatsoever. Something like $30 a month (I don't know exactly cuz I get cable TV, high speed internet, and phone service all together for $86.00).
  10. WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    I've refused for years to wear an electronic leash, and so far, no great damage has been done to me. The problem isn't cellphones, like Wrong Robot pointed out, it's how people use them. I just don't think I'd be any different if I owned one. Either it would be off all the time and friends/colleagues would complain at me, or I'd always be on it, and friends an colleagues would complain at me.
  11. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Verizon to verizon anwhere in the country is free, yes?
  12. If I am not at work, home or the local pub, I am somewhere likely important and likely rather not be disturbed. Don't need one. I hate how friends are always complaining how much they owe on them.
  13. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    I love mine. I can call anyone, anywhere - priceless really. It's in my pocket all the time, so I can keep it on silent vibrating alarm 24/7 and it cannot bother anyone else.

And for those times I don't want to be reached you can either turn it off, or leave it to the bottom of the bag if you want to know if someone's tried to reach you. It's good when you know how to use one - I spend less than five minutes on the phone each day, when not in work.
  14. Thats a pretty good price..maybe my phone company has something like that. But I still like my cell phone, cause I can take pictures of Bongos, or Hooter bikini contests. :)
  15. Time Divider

Time Divider Guest

Apr 7, 2005
    Some phones emit a signal that can be pinpointed by GPS tracking. Call your provider, and if it still has some juice in it and is on, they may be able to tell you exactly where it is (within 2 inches or so).
  16. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    My brother and I were accost in a Florida mall by two fine young women in the cell phone kiosk. Obviously, they were aiming to use their wiles (see, hooters) to lure us into a cell phone plan. My brother and I, however, are not such people.

"Who is your cell phone provider?"
    Myself: "Don't have cell phones."
    Brother: "Nope."
    "Well, are you looking for one?"
    Brother: "Not really."
    Myself: "Couldn't say I am."
    "What about an emergency? What would you do if you were stuck in an emergency?"
    Myself: "Panic, I'd imagine."
    Brother: "Flail my arms about and scream a lot, probably."
    "Well, you'd probably like a cell phone then, wouldn't you?"
    Myself: "Maybe, but then we wouldn't get any exercise."
    Brother: "Running around screaming is really good exercise, you know."
    "...You're sure you don't need a cell phone?"
    Brother: "Positive."
    Exit the Brothers two.

This was at Christmas, our parents were at the mall as well. We then found them; both had cell phones. We borrowed them for a couple minutes. We then flipped them open, and "talked" into them as we walked slowly by the cell kiosk, and waved cheerfully at the girls as we passed.

They were nonplussed in the extreme.

I love headgames.
  17. KSDbass

Mar 25, 2005
    I want a cellphone, only because I know that I go out ALOT, and if I need someway to reach someone when I hurt myself, itll come in handy. cellphones don't make me mad,(if you are older than14, stop reading this.) its when the girls give their numbers to random people that we meet, then we get back to my house, and they start complaining about how the people they don't know keep calling them.
    "Gosh, this stupid girl and her boyfriend keep calling me!"
    "why don't you turn off your cellphone?"
    "I wouldn't wanna miss a call"
    "so don't answer it"
    "what if it's someone else?"
    I have found that people don't turn off their cellphones in cases like that because they want their friends to see that poeple call them, and that they have alot of "really cool friends".
  18. Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    I read it anyway.

I use my cell phone on occasion, but I mostly just have it to have it.
  19. Only

Sep 8, 2002
    Warrensburg, MO
    I got a cell phone at the insistence of my ex-girlfriend, and I absolutely HATE the thing. I keep it on silent all the time. not even vibrate, but silent. If I can see the screen light up at a call, I'm not busy, and I'll answer. If I can't, then I'm doing something and don't want to be interrupted. This concept is apparently impossible for 99% of the people I know to grasp.

So everyone who calls me complains about me not answering my phone. It absolutely infuriates people. I have literally been yelled at for not answering a call while I was busy.

And for turning off call waiting, because I think it's rude to interrupt a call I'm already in with someone.

And for my voicemail message: "Please DON'T leave a message unless it's FINAL.

If the thing didn't have a camera and the ability to send pics taken to my email address, I'd smash it with a rock in 2 seconds.
  20. i used to hate cell phones, but now i hate car accidents