i hate this buzz!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by riotboi911, Dec 18, 2004.

1. riotboi911

Dec 18, 2004
    ive owned and played a yamaha bbg4sii.

for those of you who don't know.

2 active soapbars
    active pickups
    onboard preamp

mid, bass, tone, volume.

the 'mid' knob switches/blends both pickups together. when i have the neck pickup off and the bridge on. this is where it has massive buzz. so i make it a habit to only play with the neck pickup.

the 'tone' knob is a much better problem. i have to have it completely off to minimize the buzz. with it even alittle on. its starts to kick in. and when it is maxed out. the buzz goes crazy. so i pretty much can't use the tone knob. which sucks :(

the 'bass' isn't really a problem. with it maxed out it seems to elimate some of the buzz.

well now to the juicy part.
    ive recently got my hands on a GUYATONE bottom blaster
    and an AMPworks bass modeling processor.

when i turn on the bottom blaster. it does what its suppose to. kicks major bottom (no pun intended). but it also makes the buzz ALOT more audioable. which sucks.

what can i do to elimate the buzz?

EDIT: im sorry. i think this should be in equipment section
  2. riotboi911

Dec 18, 2004

can anyone offer advice.

ive noticed passive instruments don't have such effect. im considering switching my pickups and preamp for something a passive setup
  3. sounds like it might be a grounding issue. have you checked the wiring inside the bass? everything tight and secure?
  4. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Take it to the shop. It's worth the $$$ to have the pros assess and repair the problem properly. Cheers.

5. Grounding issues. Your bridge pickup probably isn't grounded properly, causing the hum. The tone knob thing is another grounding issue. My Squier does the same thing. It's likely a simple repair, bring it to a tech.
  6. riotboi911

Dec 18, 2004
    how much you think something like that cost?
  7. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    $20 or so. Face it, its cheaper than monkeying with the electronics and screwing up the whole works.

8. won't cost much... there's not much to it. if you were anywhere near me, i'd fix it for ya for free.
  9. I've got the same problem with my BBG4AII, although I rarely crank all the way over to the bridge pickup. I'll probably end up getting it set up and fixed up soon.