1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I have a problem

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by EricF, Sep 11, 2008.

1. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    A little more than a month ago I purchased my dream bass - a Fender P built the same month and year I was born (Sept. 1968). In getting the go-ahead from my wife, I agreed to 1) sell of a couple of my other basses to help offset the significant cost of the '68 (which I did), and 2) wait until the b-day party my wife is throwing for me on the 27th of this month before I start rehearsing and gigging with it. Now, being that I was able to spend a large chunk o' money for one of my long-time dreams, I willingly complied with the terms of the deal.

Here's where the problem comes in...I should, in no way, be feeing GAS pains for ANYTHING at the moment. I mean, c'mon, I got to buy my DREAM bass!! However, I'm having a hard time not lusting after a new G&L or Lakland right now. Yesterday I even bid on a Reverend Rubblefish on eBay - mercifully, I got beat. It's like, "Okay, got the '68 P bass. What's next?"

I don't know how to stop myself. :crying:

2. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    Well, of course you should expect GAS. You bought that bass for entirely superficial reasons. However cool it is, your primary reason for THAT bass was when it was made, not for its sound, utility, playabiliyt, etc. So the logical part of you is seeking a bass that fits practical needs too.

Or, it's because we're wired that way. Years ago Bicycling Magazine had short bit about why one bike is never enough. The gist of it was that when we were evolving, if we saw a rock that could be useful for making a tool or weapon, we'd grab it. And they were rare so we evolved with the urge to collect stuff. Now that's still wired in us, but we can get things more easily. So now the correct number of basses is N+1, where N = the number of basses currently owned.

jte

3. Fretlessboy

Fretlessboy

Nov 29, 2007
    St Augustine Florida
    Endorsing artist GENZ BENZ/HERCULES STANDS/XSonics
    I think GAS is normal no matter what you currently have.

4. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    JTE - Once again, your logic and wisdom is spot on. Of course, all this means is that my GAS has been justified. :D

5. Thor

Thor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

What is the current value of f(x) = n+1 ?

6. Thor

Thor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

Thanks, that gives me something to put in the custom user title or sig.

7. Dbassmon

Dbassmon

Oct 2, 2004
    Rutherford, NJ
    Reoeat after me....

My name is Eric and I am a gasoholic..

You must admit that you are powerless over bass gear and the a power higher than yourself can return you to sanity

Or

Get the lakland too. Your are dead a long time, get the other bass too, have a good time while you are here.