I just quit my band

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Nickthebassist, Nov 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ahhh crap! Apparently I have to fit in behind all the guitars and drums, and be the quietist member, and aren't allowed to use my warwick cuz it's 'crap'. O, and my new ashdown is 'crap' too, according to the lead guitarist, who thinks my fender is better. I quit cuz I will NEVER be the stereotypical bassist, I wanna be a Flea/Ryan Martinie, and change bass's image from being a rhythem instrument, to being an instrument that is along side the guitars. My idea of a band is that no-one dominates and that we can all be heard equally. Do you think I made the right decision by quitting? :crying: :mad:
  2. BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    If you weren't happy, then yes. I've recently been thinking of quitting my own band. It really is a tough desicion... I mean, we're in the middle of recording a CD, and going to a battle of the bands in downtown Toronto, and now we start to crack. I hope things work out for you though. :)

Graeme :bassist:
  3. You should have just kicked a hole in his half stack because it's crap.
  4. msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    I hate to involve Neil Diamond, but like the man says, "not much you can do when the feeling's gone".
  5. Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    It's good that you just got up and left, rather than making a big deal of it. If you didn't like it, I'm glad you left. To me, from that impression, it sounds like they wont go very far as is..

6. cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    Warwick and Ashdown crap???
    Sounds like you'll be moving up in the world when you find a new band. You made the right move.
  7. Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    My guess is they liked the fender amp better cos it wasn't as loud :p.

8. Good choice Nick. If they are going to go and say thats a crap setup, their on crack and you don't need to be dealing with crackheads. ;) Go and find another band that appreciates all the instruments and want equalness throughout the band. Good luck on finding new people to play with.
  9. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Yes, I do. You want something other than what they want. I happen to agree with your take for my own bass playing, so I give you two thumbs up. You will find something else, don't worry.
  10. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I hear ya loud and clear. I'm in the same situation [somewhat]. I have been dealing with loud guitarists and a sucky keyboardist for over a year now and I've had enough! The band has not progressed one iota in this time as well. We should have been on the A list by now! The last show in December is MY last! They've been given notice.
  11. Ahhh, now they wanna 'talk it over'. Well, we can talk it over, but I'm making my point clear that from now on, EVERYONE is involved in the song writing process, not just the 2 guitarists. I joined the band way after it was formed, so most of the songs were written by the guitarists. Tim for them to change me thinks, otherwise I'm out, permanently. Also, they dont like the warwick cuz it cuts through very well.........they prefer my spectors.
  12. Nick, if they don't want you to cut through well and be heard, then they obviously don't appreciate your contribution to the music and I see no reason to even bother with them.
  13. They see 'cutting through' as being louder than the guitars :rolleyes: :rollno:
  14. One word to describe them: Morons.
  15. Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    I'm with the others, dude. I spent a brief period of time in a band where the guitarists thought they were god's gift to the instrument, but couldn't even tell me what key a song was in when I said something like, "yo, just tell me what key the song is in and I'll come up with a solid bassline." They were pretty arrogant so-and-so's. I quit that band after 2 days because I didn't appreciate being disrespected and shut out. It wasn't a totally bad experience, though. While they did make me feel like a garbage musician, even though I was a decent bassist, it was a learning experience and I'm stronger for it. (Yeah, this happened when I was around 16.)

But to play Devil's Advocate, trying to find truly likeminded musicians who have the same view of music as you do and forming that 'perfect' idealized band can be a pie in the sky proposition. Once in a while, you WILL have to compromise somewhat (i.e. I spent a little time in a cover band playing loads of songs I couldn't stand- but it was a great experience for me on multiple levels. Plus the fact that everyone in the band was really cool, nice to me, and appreciative of my input/contributions it wasn't so bad playing those wretched songs.) It's just HOW much you're willing to compromise before you become sick of it all is the thing. And even the most vile songs can be fun to play if the musicians you're playing with are cool people.

Best of luck Nick. May you find musicians to form a solid band with or join a band who'll take good care of you. Till then, keep grooving, brother.

EDIT: Deleted some irrelavent stuff.
  16. trog

Nov 8, 2003
    I quit a band a bit like that not so long ago. The lead guitarist had twitchy finger syndrome at the upper end of the fretboard waaay too often.

Then, one month later, I joined up with a solid drummer, really good guitarist, and a singer who seems to want the bass shaking his bones to the core. I don't mind :smug:

So, there is light at the end of the tunnel!
  17. Well, there's no other decent people in york. The drummer is one of the highest graded in york for our age, the lead guitarist about grade 7, im grade 6, and the lead singer/rhythem guitarist is pretty good, and writes all the songs. Now I have no-one to be in a band with, so im stuffed.
  18. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    I know how you feel. The last group of people I tried starting a band with wanted a mute root pumping slave with no mind of their own. Who the hell was I, just the bass player :rollno: .
  19. Look at it this way now you have lots of time to put in personal practice
    Could always use BIAB to help you out because
    a) Always in time
    b) Plays in any style you want

BIAB-Band in a box

I was in that situation once so youré not alone there
    So use your time wisely as well as having some R' n' R
  20. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    What is BIAB? A computer program?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.