Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I just saw Fieldy...

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Blackbird, Oct 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    ...eating at Jack in the Box.

Just thought I'd say that.

2. You should have given him a SIT low c# string.

3. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    So what!
    :rolleyes:

4. Did he cook your food well?

:eek: that was a little harsh

5. 20db pad

20db pad

Feb 11, 2003
    I been everywhere, man...
    None. At all.
    I once got busy in a Burger King bathroom.

6. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    Did you say anything to him?

7. fieldy... hahaha

when he walked by, did you hear " click, click, clickity-click"?

8. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    Jack in the Box and White Castle are two 'resturants' that I've heard a lot about, but I've never seen one in person. Not a big deal, I know, but I think its kind of weird. It's like those two resturants are not real, but are, instead, abstract expressions of reality.

9. What's that weird thing fieldy does? he slaps with his finger and thumb, is there a technical name for it? It's jsut I copied it once when i saw him on a video, so i can do it really fast now. It soudnsl ik a 2 bass drums that can change pitch.

10. why would you wanna do what he does :scowl: ....

im sure you heard the click click of his teeth while he ate too...i wonder what sound he makes when he drinks?

11. ApeIsHigh81

ApeIsHigh81

Aug 24, 2004
    CA
    I don't know but I heard he takes a sip, then raises his chin in the air and holds his cup by his shoulder with both hands like it's an upright. Just what I heard.

12. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I'm crazy.
    Allow me to amaze thee.
    They say I'm ugly but it just don't faze me.
    I'm still gettin' in the girls' pants
    and I even got my own dance

13. andrewd

andrewd

Sep 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    one of the many reasons i dont like listening to korn......weird clicky noises and more bass coming from the guitars than the bass!

14. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Of all the insulting things you could say about his playing, you definitely couldn't say he ever gets buried in the mix. Seems pretty good when the guitars he is trying to cut through are detuned seven strings.

I couldn't say the same thing about many other bassists in a detuned metal band.

15. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Nothing.

What, were you expecting a cure for cancer? :eyebrow:

16. Fieldy does cut through well, I have a few KoRn tracks........if you listen to something by Slipknot(such as the Disasterpieces DVD), you will struggle to hear Paul gray, so for a metal band, Fieldy does a good job of getting noticed. What kinda bass does he actually play?

17. he plays a custom Ibanez 5 string called the K5, great bass actually

18. Dincrest

Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    I'm with Abark. Whether you love or hate Fieldy's playing or the band Korn, you can't deny that Fieldy's sound is very distinct and stands out from the rest. Were I to listen to a bunch of random bassists blindly, I'd be able to tell Fieldy apart from the rest. While his sound and playing techniques don't work for me, they work great for him and in the context of his band. (And if anyone cares, no I'm not fond of Korn. I thought their first two records were good, but nowadays it's the same rehashed pointless drivel and a tired act that should've been put to bed long ago.)

Nick- that technique you mentioned the "slap with thumb and forefinger" sounds like one Ryan Martinie of Mudvayne uses as well. In some other threads here it was described as bouncing the fingers off the string, kinda like dribbling a basketball, for that percussive, staccato 'click.' Slap/pop isn't my forte, but those techniques are fun to do. Mudvayne's similar to me- I'm not fond of the band's music at all, but Martinie is an excellent bassist.

And I would trust Fieldy plays his Ibanez signature bass. http://www.ibanez.com/guitars/series.asp?s=k5&l=b (EDIT: DiG beat me to the punch.)

19. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    Jack-in-the-Box has good tacos.

I actually watched some of Korn live at CBGB's on MTV a couple days ago. I was watching Fieldy and thinking, yeah compared to 95% of other bassists he is a pile of excrement, but I don't think any other tone or style of playing would fit in as well with Korn. Needless to say I think Korn is complete trash.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.