I know there are 1000+ strings Threads

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by Samie, Nov 24, 2004.

1. Samie

Dec 13, 2000
    Madrid, Spain

After reading all 1000+ threads all I have is a huge headache.

Its very hard for a beginer to follow all those brands.

Here is my situation.

New borrowed DB. I will play 90% jazz pizz. I will only bow for my DB lessons, plactices, and scheduled quarterly concerts. I am "starting" level so I have a good excuse to sound bad when bowing.

The DB lessons are just an excuse to borrow the DB.

I do however play jazz at a local small gig/jam. I will also record and play pizz at home. I will be using a mike.

I will have to put the strings on myself.

Can you guys each tell me 3 string sets that will be suitable for me?

Thankx and sorry if you are tired os string posts.

Its a 3/4 blonde, i dont know if its a good DB but I already luv it.

2. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    "Classic" pizz strings:
    Thomastik Spirocores
    Thomastik Superflexibles
    Pirastro Jazzers
    However a beginner may like a softer string. In this case, I'd recommend Corelli strings, available in tungsten (370 series) and nickel (380 series) ans a few gauges.
    They also bow better than the strings listed at the top.
    All these strings have a "bright" tone.
    If you want a darker tone, you may want to look at orchestral strings.
    They are loaded with dampening material which softens the tone and reduces sustain.
    You said you were playing pizz but didn't described what kind of tone you're seeking.
    This is a very wide statement.
  3. olivier

Dec 17, 1999
    Paris, France
    François is the absolute string guru on this forum. Take his suggestions seriously.
    I would throw in Obligato too, as a good all around string, easy on the left hand, especially good for starters.
  4. Do you have to put the bridge and tailpeice of that bass too? Where is the soundpost - is there a peice of dowel lying in the bottom of tha bass? Is this how the bass is at the moment - we need to know - this could cause you problems!
  5. Samie

Dec 13, 2000
    Madrid, Spain
    Thanks you guys,

I guess I will go with corelli's 370 Medium.

My favorite jazz tone believe it or not is.. them abesold learning tapes and CD. I luv that compressed nasal sound, you can hear every single note. I find most DB bass recordings hide the instrument, specially de oldtimers.

I hate the thump, thump stuff.

Yeah, I will need to purchase an adjustable bridge and an endpin. I have a tail piece.

I am in europe, but I will be purchasing all from www.gollihur.com, strings included.

Is that a good place? is there a better place?

What is a dowel¿? what is a soundpost? Is there a problem with the bass¿?
  6. olivier

Dec 17, 1999
    Paris, France
    Hola Samie,

Two possibilities:

1) you know what you're doing, and you do all the setup by yourself, then you buy whatever you like wherever you want.

2) you have it done by a luthier, then you let him select and order the spare parts.

Make sure you have delt with that aspect of things before placing any order. Part of a luthier's margin is done on spare parts, strings etc... discuss the various options with him, before placing any order with Bob G or whoever.

Suerte colega
  7. Samie

Dec 13, 2000
    Madrid, Spain
    Here in spain the luthier situation is "deseperado"!! Its really hard to find one. They are expensive and they take way to long.

Besides, most have never heard about jazz on a DB. You play what?, the say. The DB market here is mostly classical students.

I have talked to the guys at the web-site, their bridges can be placed by users. They say that the endpin might also be placed my myself if its the right size hole.

Which leaves the strings, which I guess can to.

After that, if I am not satified, i might drop by a luthier. It will be less work for him, and less explanation from me.

The Euro-dollar currency exchange is great now!! $250 = 180 euros!! that's how much the strings and parts cost! It used to be a 1 to 1 exchange so now I am saving over 60 euros (about $90). its crazy
  8. olivier

Dec 17, 1999
    Paris, France
    1) Is it a brand new bass that never had a setup ?

2) Don't forget IVA
  9. Steve Bassman

Steve Bassman Supporting Member

Dec 3, 2003
    Tampa Bay, FL
    Whoa! Don't try to set up this bass until you know the answer to this question, plus whether or not your bass has one and it is in the proper location! The soundpost is a wooden rod inside the bass that is wedged (lightly) in between the top and the back. It is located right below the treble side bridge foot (visible thrpough the f-hole), but since your bass has no bridge or strings it may have fallen to the bottom of the bass as it is held in place by the pressure of the strings. Setting up a bass without a soundpost can cause major damage and the proper fitting of a soundpost is best left to an qualified luthier, regardless of whether or not they are familiar with jazz bass playing or not .

- Steve

10. Just to second Blimp's post - DO NOT even think of setting up the bass until the sound-post is sorted - IMHO the sound-post, tailpiece, tail-piece wire (or chord), bridge, endpin (you sugest this bass hasn't got one!) and strings need all fitting at the same time and again, IMHO by a luthier even if this is a problem for you.

I think you need to post for advice in the set-up and repair thread and ask for advice from the esteemmed luthiers that contribute here listing all the things that need to be done. It will be worth it.

Good luck to you!
  11. Alexi David

Alexi David

May 15, 2003
    Samie - I'm just wonderin' - over various threads you've stated that you don't wanna play arco, that you like a nasal compressed sound, that you don't like thump in the sound, etc.....um.....why are you interested in Double Bass then? maybe an EUB would be more to your liking......
  12. Johonn

Nov 19, 2004
    Brunswick, ME
    I think i saw it somewhere around here...but this place is huge! so i'll just ask, what are some good strings for mainly arco with just a little pizz thrown in here and there? When I bought my first bass 5+ years ago, the guy selling it recommended thomastic spirocore, and thats what ive been using ever since for some reason. But i have since found out that guy didnt know what he was talking about, and furthermore ripped me off on the student model bass i got. :mad: (I now have a michael glas) So, any advice on possible string selection? thanks :D
  13. Samie

Dec 13, 2000
    Madrid, Spain
    Hey, thanks Steve

I checked and the soundpost is there, it does not seem to be moved. That was close!

I will post on the setup DB forum, Its a good Idea.

I think I will go with the corelli 370M to start with.

EUB? maybe some day, I like the acoustic nature of the DB. Playing without an amp at home, feeling the vibrations. Besides they are even more expensive. The DB will also open other acustic gigs posibilities with the sax and the singer.

Its a medium-term plan, just workign hard on them notes. Not bad so far after a couple of classes and no DB to practice. The arco actually sounds. (the first days it was horrible).

I already phoned a luthier, if I can't put it together I will call him.

Its a personal challange, just as it was getting the DB for free.

Now its sitting in my living room.

next challenge, putting it together. Then, the biggest challenge, playing it.
  14. I have seen Francois' box of used strings set... I guessed he tried them all ! "Guru" is the right word !

I agree about the Obligato, they are great. DON'T BUY THE CORELLI 370M ! I did this mistake, and you really want a meatier string if you play a lot of pizz. Try a forte or extraforte. the mediums are for extreme bowing only !

Personnally, I prefer Spirocore weich. There are really standard and a lot of strings a decent alternatives, but still, you can't go wrong with Spiros.

Regarding the Euro vs the dollar, this is the time to make provisions for all of you, my european friends ! If I were you, I would buy a lot of bass stuff in these days, and buy Christmas presents on eBay !
  15. Samie

Dec 13, 2000
    Madrid, Spain
    Really, I thought the 370M were for pizz-jazz. I have been told that the spiros are hard on the bass because of their tension. are the flexicores any better? how about the pirastro jazzers?

gosh!! the never ending story
  16. Hola Samie,

Some people like the 370M for pizz... But they are sacrifying a lot of balls for a very litle tension. If you want some Corelli's, get bigger ones. If you absolutely want a low tension, the Eurosonics (med or light) are the best pizz string I have tried, but forget about bowing them.

You can't go wrong with a set of Obligatos or of Spiro weich. Both are low tension and will bow okay. Actually, I am using Spiro weich EA and Obligato DG right now. When the Obligatos will go dead, I'll switch them for the complete set of Spiro weich. Then I want to try the Superflexible. They are supposed to be excellent.

17. Samie

Dec 13, 2000
    Madrid, Spain
    Yeah, I have decided to go with the Spiro weich. I guess they are the standard. I wonder what the diference with the standar el cheapo strings that come with DBs. They are both metal, right?
  18. Ha ! A Spanish guy saying "El cheapo", funny. Baratos strings that come on the bass are often very bad. You will notice a huge difference. By the way, new spiro weich will be very bright at first, full of "zzzing" and may take a few days to sound better with the bow.

If you don't want to experiment with 20 different strings, you want a safe value and don't have money to waste in the strings quest, Spiro weich are a classic. And for some people, the last forever !
  19. jgbass

jgbass Guest

Dec 17, 2003
    I have been doing my research here, but I am confused about Spirocores. There is the Spirocore Orchestra (which does not sound bright at all on one of my basses) and the Spirocore Weich (set up on another bass, a little brighter but do not like the bowed sound).

So when one refers to Spirocores, does that mean all the various types are good choice for jazz? Or is the Spirocore Orchestra a good choice for orchestral playing?

I have two basses, one set up with Orchestra, one with Weich and I am looking for a brighter, but fuller sound on one bass for jazz playing and am wondering if I should swtich the Spirocore Orchestra strings to the other bass for orchestral use. Is that a good choice?

I have only used these two types of strings and am also open to trying other types of strings, especially on the 5/8 bass to be set up for jazz where I want a brighter and fuller sound for mostly pizz.

Thanks for any help and suggestions.
  20. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    Spirocore Orch. with the Red at both ends IS the main Jazz metal string for as long as I can remember. It means Orchestra Gauge/tuning and not for Orchestra playing only.

Guys, try to remember this; The German and Czech Basses used here in USA were mainly imported Shop Basses starting from around 1900, made in and around Luby and Markneukirchen aka Shoenbach area which Borders Germany and Czech.

The Basses made in Germany, Czech, Austria etc. for their Orchestra usage are mostly different with a few exceptions. Those Larger Orchestra Bass are Graduated much better than shop Basses and Bow alot smoother. These Basses rarely come to USA because they prefer to keep them. They are often preferred OVER the Italian Basses in Eastern Europe and Germany.

Thomastik (Spirocore) is an Austrian Company and many Bassists use them in the Orchestras over there. In USA, the Smaller bodied German Shop Basses often 'fight' the Bow with almost any string and with several Wolf tones as well. Spirocores do not work as well for bowing on these Basses as they need a smoother Bass to sound smooth when bowing. For Jazz, they have plenty of Volume, punch and tension as well as sustain and growl. I used them for years on my Italian Bass and they bowed well on it. The Bass was 250 years old and very relaxed without a single wolf note. They Bowed poorly on all my other German Shop type Basses.

The Bass you play often dictates which string will work best. It's trial and error all the time. Presently, Arnold has my Morelli Shop Bass and had to re-graduated the back alot and the top just a bit to get the thickness proper. I bet this Bass didn't bow well before but will bow better now that many things internally have been corrected.

First comes the Bass, then the Strings to match the Bass, and then the Bow to match you and your Bass.. Or something like that...lol

If your luthier makes a good or reasonable argument of an improvement that will make your Bass play easier, open your ears.. You may like what comes out of your Bass much better than before. Thousands of Basses are here in USA from Europe that were made cheaply but often with good wood. If the Bass is in good condition, you may be able to improve it with the proper work done..

If the Orchestras in Eastern Europe like Spirocores so much, then they MUST have different Basses to play them on than we have usually seen here......