Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I might get this Ashdown

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MAJOR METAL, Feb 28, 2005.

1. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I have the individual head unit on top of an avatar cab. The MAG300H over a B212. It sounds great.

3. I have a MAG300-210T and have had no problems with it. It handles the low B very well. I use it for small to medium size rooms, although I have used it for bigger venues, I just have the sound guy pump me through the mains. I've had the amp for a little over a year and it's seen it's share of gigs, 1 nighters to 5-7 nights in a row, casuals, coprporate events, jazz, pop, etc... I never use the eq, I run it flat and use my basses eq, I have used the bass preshape boost once or twice. All in all a great little amp for a great price.

4. UnDoNe

UnDoNe

Dec 6, 2002
    UK
    yep i've got one. sounds awesome. handles lows well and nice crisp highs :)

5. MAJOR METAL

What kind of guitar amplification do you think it can keep up with?.Thanks

6. Are you looking for something for an original hard rock/metal type of situation? If you're looking to compete with multiple Marshall 412 cabs, or something of the sort, you might want to look into getting something a bit beefier. Maybe an Ampeg SVT with an 810 cab or a super powerful head with an Epifani 410. I play with guitarists who us Vox AC30's, Fender Twin type of amps, along with horn sections and two to three vocalists and I never have a problem cutting through, even with a 12 piece band I don't have any problems, but then again I'm playing casuals and corporate events and even weddings. If I'm playing somewhere where I need to be really loud and ROCK, I'll use my Avatar 212 cab with my Eden WT-800. So I guess it comes down to what your situation is.

Edit:
    Club/Bar/Original: Avatar 212 w/ Eden WT-800
    Casual/Lounge/Wedding: Ashdown 210 combo

7. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    It'll probably barely hold you above water if your playing metal. You might get a bit drowned out... but you'll still be present. You will likely be at the mercy of your guitar player(s). If there IS more than 1 guitar player, then I suggest 500Watts minimum, and more than a 210 cab. A 212 or 410 would probably suit you better, but it depends on the tone you prefer. If you like punchy metal, then those cabs would due... but if you like the low and thumpy metal, then you could possibly even consider a 115 cab to start out and stand alone with.

Going back to the MAG.... I think you probably need more power than what a MAG combo has. :meh: Actually, it probably isnt so much the amp as it is the speakers. Speakers increase you volume than more people think.... but you'd need a lot of speaker surface to make 300W compete with a pair of guitar Halfstacks (pending the model).... so yeah, it definately depends on the situation.... but you should think about more power, even if you have to save up to about $700 or so. It would save you some hassel and money in the future. Frequent upgrading sucks when the perfect solution is only $200 away or so.

My suggestion: Pre-Power + Avatar.... the economic route to supreme power. :)
    -QSC RMX850 runs for $300 new.... the RMX1450 is $400 new. used, you could find something around $180 or $230 for each amp respectively.
    -An Avatar B212 will sound great as a standalone cab, and will give you a more well-rounded sound than a 210, 410 or 115... but it depends on your preference in sound. Pending your choice, it could be $240-$400 for a cab that will handle a ton of power and sound great. If your really crunched for cash now, you could even pick up an SB112 for $220, and expand your rig in the future. (get an 8ohm cab)
    -You could find an RBI or BMax preamp for $300 new or $180 used or so... Or if you have anything else that can act as a preamp, you could use that. I know someone who was short on cash, and is currently using a digitech BP200, or his combo amp. This also works with the BP50 and any sort of signal processor (not sure about standard pedals).

As for power... with an RMX850 running mono into an 8ohm cab... you'd have 600Watts. Any of those Avatar cabs will cleanly handle that power... even the SB112. If you extended such a rig (with a 2nd cab) in the future, you could have 830Watts at 4ohms.
    If you managed to get your paws on an RMX1450, you would run 900Watts at 8ohms bridged. Now.... 900Watts at 8ohms into a 212 cab?..... dude, you'll be set for good, in all probability.

And at most, it could cost you about.... oh... $900-$1000 maximum. If you play your cards right, you can have it boiled down to $700 easily. And if you have away around the preamp, it could be down to even less.... maybe $500 if your lucky. Then you'd have all the power you need right now, and you could take your sweet time and save up for a preamp.... and in the future, maybe a 2nd cab, should you need it.

If you got the MAG combo.... you'd probably sound good, and have a so-so presence... but I wouldnt settle for "so-so" when you could settle for "No more spending".

Good luck :cool:

8. MAJOR METAL

Thanks for the feedback guys. I think my Metal days are over, i am just looking for an amp that i could gig and practice with and have enough juice to keep up with a moderate size guitar rig.

9. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    These MAG amps are simply awesome.
    I have basically the same config as this amp, except that my rig is made of the MAG300R head + MAG210T cab, instead of the combo.
    A great amp, really.
    Cheers,
    JL

10. MAJOR METAL

11. That is a truly amazing deal, especially when you compare it with UK prices.

I have used a Mag 2x10T Combo for a while now and I use it with a Mag 1x15 DeepCab (thereby upping the oomph) when I want move a bit more air. For small/jazz gigs and rehearsals, I use it alone.

A practical solution for me and, with deals like that, unbeatable value IMHO. How much are they doing the 1x15 DeepCabs for?

Good luck in whatever you decide to do. :) :)

12. MAJOR METAL

Thank You :) , it does seem like agreat deal. How much do they usually go for?.

13. MAJOR METAL

Does anyone have an idea how these amps would sound with an Epiphone Jack Casady bass?.Thanks :)

14. UnDoNe

UnDoNe

Dec 6, 2002
    UK
    sorry about the late reply. i play with in a rock band with 2 guitarist with marshall half stacks and its fine. can hear everything fine and i havent been over half on the output. i do use a sansamp bddi, however, and this may affect the volume.

15. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    If tone is your main priority, then I wouldnt fear buying the MAG combo then. Some people think that Ashdown's warm sound is a little bit too warm... but I dont think that its too overwhelming.

I'd go for it, if you really think that the tone is something you would enjoy. It will likely be worth the risk, and the investment isnt too bad.

16. MAJOR METAL

17. chekerbored

chekerbored

Nov 18, 2004
    STL
    That 500 watt combo you showed was their higher end one. Ashdown just came out with a 600 watt MAG head, and that would get you tone and power, i've been thinking about it but i just dont have the money.

MAG600R

18. MAJOR METAL

I think i am going to go for it.

19. Aww don't give up on the metal... I have a Fender 350watt 2x10, I play with a guitarist with a Crate 120watt solid state combo with the 4x12 extension cab and my combo isn't really loud enough vs. him and the drummer. It might be good if your playing with someone using less distortion though. If you can add another 1x15 cab or something when you need to, it would be loud enough for most stuff.