1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I need a chunky P bass neck.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by two fingers, Apr 19, 2019.

1. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I put together a really cool parts P bass a while back. Every player who picks it up LOVES it. But it has a thin jazz neck on it.

My 80s MIJ E series Fender P has this glorious baseball bat of a neck. I need something like that for this bass.

But I know squat about measurements, radius, nut width, etc.

What am I looking for? Aftermarket or Fender is fine. Prefer a rosewood board.

What are some known fatter P bass necks?

Last edited: Apr 20, 2019
  2. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    The US Vintage Series necks after the Fullerton plant closed.are chunky, a full 1.75" nut width (like the Fullerton ones) but also fairly thick front-to-back (unlike the Fullerton ones). My favorite chunk neck is on my Sting which is a reproduction of Sting's early '57 SCP.

two fingers likes this.
  3. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    USA Custom

two fingers likes this.
  4. LT131

LT131

Jan 25, 2015
    Deep South
    Look at Warmoth. They have a choice of nut width, 1 3/4 is the old school width that is on my MIJ, fret sizes, profiles, etc., along with finishes. Nice neck and fairly priced until you start adding exotic woods and finishes. Most of the other necks I've tried, Allparts and Mitey Mite are more along the modern 1.65 neck width and contour. Wimpish.

I have a 1 3/4 standard profile that feels very similar to my 90 MIJ, which feels very similar to the way I remember my 66 P felt. Not the chunkiest I've played but very nice.

two fingers likes this.
  5. I tried playing a jazz bass and the neck was way too small

6. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Anyone else?

7. If you are mechanically inclined, take a set of dial calipers to you MIJ neck and get some dimensions down on paper. That will help you as you look for different necks. When ever I'm trying to match the feel of a neck, that's what I do.

Good luck.

two fingers likes this.
  8. Eilif

Eilif Holding it down in K-Town. Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    Warmoth p-bass necks are truly chunky. I actually found my last one was too chunky for me, so it might be perfect for you.

two fingers likes this.
  9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 26, 2020