1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I need a complete idiot's guide to Midi

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by scsm, Oct 28, 2009.

1. scsm

scsm

Jul 26, 2009
    Manhattan, KS
    I have done several searches here and on Google and I am still completely confused.

The situation is I have been playing a little bit with two people that and we want to get some live shows with my guitarist friend and a drummer. A lot of their music has parts that we don't have musicians for - keyboard, sound effects, violin, etc and we don't want to add anymore members for logistics reasons. Finding time to practice with five people is hard enough and we'd have to find a decent keyboard player.

So what would be the easiest way to play sample parts on stage?

Off the top of my head I'd be great if I could

1. Hit a button at the top of a song and it would play a keyboard part
    2. Hit a couple different buttons on the start of each measure in some verses to play some different effects.
    3. Play a whoosh sound at the end of a song.

I know this is possible but I need someone to really dumb down what I need to do. I know I need a midi footswitch, if I get one with only 4 buttons could I program it so if I turn some knob or something the buttons change what they do?

It would be great if I could keep this on the cheap too.

2. not an expert or anything but for playing sounds and stuff i've heard that if you have Ableton Live running for that kinda stuff its good....

or a drum pad or something that you can set the sounds.

3. scsm

scsm

Jul 26, 2009
    Manhattan, KS
    Drum machine might work but I'd like to have a footswitch.

4. JackANSI

JackANSI

Sep 12, 2006
    PA
    I'd go with Ableton live with a behringer fcb1010 (can do note triggers as well as everything else). That should get you everything you seem to want at around $600...

There might be free programs that would work too (don't know of one off-hand), so it could be as cheap as the fcb1010.

5. Monomer

Monomer

Jul 22, 2005

Rosegarden, in linux.

it's JUST like ableton, and is free.