Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I need a little help

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by chuk1080, Nov 11, 2003.

1. chuk1080

chuk1080

Nov 11, 2003
    Scotland
    Ive been playing for about a year now, and ive been teaching myself. Could anyone tell me what i really should know how to do by now? And just some general tips to make me better?

I know i really need to learn the arpeggios. Im really good with speed though, and can perform most of the techniques easily enough. Could someone give me some of the arpeggios i need to know. I have tried learning but i keep forgetting them.
    ---

2. cowsgomoo

cowsgomoo gone to Longstanton Spice Museum

Feb 8, 2003
    UK
    I spose it depends what style of music you're into... for many kinds of music, the best thing you do is get yourself in a band and go out and play... this will develop your ear and give you the best idea of what works & what doesn't work

and for many kinds of music, a good ear beats a good sense of music theory or fast fingers any day :)

nuthing wrong with learning theory but i reckon it's ultimately best learned as an explanation of what your ear already is used to hearing...

3. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    learn all the major and minor scales and arpeggios in all 12 keys

learn how to sight read

and most importantly, GET A TEACHER