1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I need a recommendation for Grind/Powerviolence

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Shinyflavors7, Jul 1, 2012.

1. I'm looking to get into the genre of melodigrind/powerviolence, and I'm looking for a fuzz pedal that's going to work well for me. I've played Hardcore, and Deathmetal, and post-rock before so I'm familiar with fuzz and overdrive pedals, but I can't think of one that I've used that really fits the sound I'm looking for. I've used muffs, sub-lime, Sansamp stuff, and it all sounds good, but it all sounds pretty, and smooth. I'm looking for something that sounds really raw, and harsh. I also think the ability to blend would a huge plus. I want the notes to be discernible while still sounding like they are going through a woodchipper. I've been looking at a couple of pedals but nothing is really seeming like it's the one. I'm looking at the MXR blowtorch, RAT pedals, the way huge swollen pickle MKII, the EMMA Electronic PisdiYAUwot, and Tech 21 XXL bass. I'm all ready set for OD, as I really the sound that comes from my Mesa, but I just can't see that cutting it. (more info/to much) I'm already thinking that i'm going to run a chorus/flanger into an octave pedal, and then into the fuzz pedal for a huge, deep sound. Anything info helps whether you play Grindcore, or have experience with any of the pedals i'm looking at, your input will be taken into consideration.

Side note: for anyone with experience in CyberGrind, how do you get good distorted synth tones?

2. I used to have a XXL and it can be quite harsh sounding. No blend, but not much if any low end loss.

3. Corey Y

Corey Y Guest

Jun 3, 2010
    In my opinion the real key to the sound you're talking about is playing style and volume, on top of gain. Doesn't have to be over the top distortion, it can be OD, it's just about the EQ and the attack. Getting the right frequencies cutting through the mix, hearing the string attack. I played in a powerviolence band a couple of years ago and used a Precision into a DOD 250, into a clean solid state amp into various 4x10s and it got a very aggressive, jagged tone. I was shooting for an Unsane style tone (in result, not approach). A lot of it hinged on my playing style and the volume, if I played finger style or didn't push the cab really hard I would lose a lot of that aggressive, jagged top end.

The latest recording I did with the current band I'm in, which is in a similar style, I used an active Jazz style bass into a vintage Rat, with a little clean blend, into a driven tube amp into a 4x10. Here's a rough instrumental mix of one of the tracks:

http://www.divshare.com/download/18560817-f07

Recording is a whole different ball of wax. I did 3 mics and a DI (post pedal), so I could play around with the tone easily. Depending on how I balance them out I can accentuate the parts of the tone I want to cut through the mix most. In that recording they're all about level.

A lot of grindcore, crust and powerviolence bass players use guitar distortion pedals and just crank the low freq EQ on their amp, since it's an always on tone. There's still a lot of variation though, so there's lots of room to experiment and see what works for you. I'd bypass fuzz and go with OD, personally, if you're looking to get a very aggressive and heavy tone but still cut through the mix. It's pretty difficult to do that with fuzz, unless you're willing to dial back the gain and play around with your EQ a bit to get it in the zone you're shooting for. The instinct of most people is heavy = more gain, but a moderate approach works a lot better in a mix.

4. I completely agree. The problem I have is that I am a very committed finger style player, so I need something to compensate for that. I'm not look to fill the mix with fuzz, I'm looking for subtle gnarly crunch to compensate for the lack of pick, and give an extra punch in gut for good measure.

Also great tone btw

Also as the member of the band that the tone is going to be riding on most of the time. (The guitar tone gets noisy and a bit ADD.) The bass has to coney the panicked, uncomfortable tone.

5. i just recorded a drone/doom metal band, which isnt exactly what you're after, but tonally, it seems similar. he was using an ODB-3 and an old HM-2 together. gains a littttttle too high. but it was screechy and awful. put it through a 2x15 and it was all kinds of doom. i imagine the hm-2 (or metal zone) a little less gain and a clean blend and it would be pretty jagged.

6. Corey Y

Corey Y Guest

Jun 3, 2010
    The Titan V12 has a pretty gnarly overdrive all on it's own. I was GASing pretty hard for a Big Block 750 when they came out and I was doing a similar style band. You could always go with an ABY setup with another amp with some heavy fuzz for extra sonic girth and not have to worry about cutting through the mix.

7. I'd like to do that. Ideally I'd have a M9, and a Titan, the best in clean and dirty. Unfortunately that would cost a small fortune, and I don't have that kinda scratch. I man dream though.

I still don't know what I'm going to do with my signal chain. I could use the titan as my OD and set my FX loop pre pre-amp, but if I do that it's going screw with my compressor, and sonic maximizer. (I like to compress just a little bit so the tone doesn't get unruly, and then add a little dynamic and definition to make it pop.) I guess I could run the bass through compressor and the maximizer to the pedal board, then from the board into the primary input then just run the second channels of each through the FX loop post preamp? (Does that make sense?)

8. Corey Y

Corey Y Guest

Jun 3, 2010
    I feel you there. My economical alternative at the time was to turn the cheap rig I had into a bi-amped setup. Split my signal with a TU-2 tuner, one into a DOD 250 into a Sunn Concert Bass, into the top of a Peavey 1820. The other into a Russian Muff into a Traynor tube head into the 18" bottom.

I wouldn't recommend that particular approach.

Now I'm just making myself want to buy a Big Block.

9. Moloch666

Moloch666

Apr 22, 2012
    I'm using a Blowtorch for my projects and it's got a real handful of tones to play with. Definitely give one a try.

10. I was also wondering if there was a relative affordable way to spilt the signal, and then blend back together. If I could do that I could use something like a RAT to get a crunchy hiss then blend it to taste.

At this point I'm seriously considering it. How is build quality of those? I only ask because I've seen mixed reviews.

11. Corey Y

Corey Y Guest

Jun 3, 2010
    If you want to play around with blending pedals or clean blending pick up a used Boss LS-2. Super cheap and versatile for a lot of effects related experimentation.

12. I know you are against it, but I think that's one of the strong points of using a pick.

Using the clip CoreyY made, I am willing to bet it would sound quite undefined and muddy with his fingers.. kind of like a big blob of fuzz in a fast track like that.:)

13. So I guess it's just a matter of how much I want to spend to take care of the blend issue. I could look for the pedal with built in blend, or I could man up and get a blender, but if I do get a blender there is still the problem of finding the right pedal to blend in. I mean I guess it's personal taste, but I can't find most of these pedals locally so I can't try before I buy. So guess that means I'm still open to suggestions.
    (It's a really same no one in extreme music does gear tutorials.)

14. I'm have had to adapt my right rand style quite a bit, just because I've used my fingers for so long, and I've got it close. A combination of calluses, and rigid striking has served me pretty well, but I still can't emulate the bite of a pick. (I've recently taken to strumming with my index finger, but I can't do that all the time.)

15. Corey Y

Corey Y Guest

Jun 3, 2010
    This is very true. I use the Rat with clean blend in another band, into an SVT playing fingerstyle (for one song). Different settings, but it's a completely different tone. Same with the DOD 250, it's almost fuzzy when I play fingerstyle. A lot of people treat fingers vs pick as if it's about ability, but it's also a tonal tool.

It can work if you can pull off a really heavy handed technique, like The Ox, and you have the speed and stamina.

16. Road Bull

Road Bull

Jul 24, 2011
    Seattle, WA.
    I am liking the sound I am getting combining a few pedals. I like to play finger style as well, but enjoy dirt mixed with clean. I prefer the MXR M80 Bass DI + Distortion pedal, mixed with MXR Bass fuzz deluxe. Both allow you to maintain and dial in a clean tone to mix with the effected signal. I also have a BDDI, and VT pedal, but I am trying to figure out if the BDDI is just a redundant option when running the M80. When running this chain, it reminds me of Entombed's Swedish metal sound.

I am also trying to decide on a OD or more aggressive distortion to run in the chain in place, or maybe with the BFD. But I still want to be able to dial in the clean tone as well. I wonder if the Way Huge Green Rhino or the Dr. Scientist's The Elements would sound better for what I am after.

17. G3Mitch

G3Mitch

Feb 8, 2011
    New Zealand
    i dont play this style at all, but i blend a Rat based pedal and get great results. The Rat is probably one of the most aggressive sounding pedals for bass you can use, while not being to over the top. I use that plus an OCD which is an awesome combo.

Blending is something i have been doing for a while now. It works for me, it lets me retain note definition and that low end punch. not only that, but you can set your dirt pedals at the more extreme settings you might not be able to without a blend.

EDIT: just noticed the thing about you being a finger style player. sounds like you don't really want to play with a pick. i'm wondering how often you change strings?? i do play with a pick and never keep the same set of strings longer than 2-3 weeks(depending on how much i've played etc). brighter strings sound more aggressive imo, specially with dirt.

18. pulse

pulse

Apr 10, 2007
    Berlin, Germany
    Biting pedals:

Rusty box
    Tech 21xxl (sounded lame going through tubes though)

A fuzz pedal I just bought and have hopes for is the zoom ultra fuzz uf 01

Needs a volume sink infront of it though with my G&L

19. I love how The Ox is mentioned in a powerviolence thread. Just shows how awesome he was. Anyhow, someone mentioned a rustybox, i can't agree more. Especially if your a finger player, this pedal will boost your mids and highs and help you cut through, really grindy. If you need a fuzz that will cut through,(although I coudnt see it as an always on, even with this style) try one with a mids knob. I love the Grey Stache from Fuzzrocious but there are a few more good ones that allow mid boost over heavy fuzz. This REAlLy cuts, you won't be disappointed.

edit: also, the boss Ls-2 for line splitting, its a cheap way to do this

seansv likes this.
  20. Moloch666

Moloch666

Apr 22, 2012
    Never had any issues with mine. It's on the majority of the time so I'm not stomping a lot, but I trust it every time my boot goes near it.