1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I need help... lost in my settings

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by gorgasm, Mar 12, 2010.

1. gorgasm

gorgasm

Mar 10, 2010
    :help:So I love bass(duh), but I don't have much experience with amps and tone adjustments. I have a decent rig and play shows all the time, and was quite happy with my tone, but recently went from a 5 string in standard down to a 6 string for the extra F#. The low end now seems quite muddy and not too distinguishable. If anyone out there has any suggestion of how to harness that really low tone without loosing the clarity in the highs, it would be very appreciated.:)

I play prog btw

Amp:
    Ampeg SVT-3 Pro

Effects loop (in order):
    BBE Sonic Stomp
    Dbx 266XL Compressor/Gate
    SansAmp Bass Driver DI
    ISP Technologies Decimator Noise Reduction Pedal

Cabinet:
    Ampeg Classic Series SVT-410HE

Basses:
    Ernie Ball Music Man Music Man S.U.B. 5
    and
    Douglas WOB 826 Black (Tuned F#-B-E-A-D-G)

If you don't have a suggestion let me know what you think of the set up. Thanks

2. quigg

quigg

Jul 27, 2008
    Norfolk, VA
    Set everything flat including your bass. Adjust from high to low.

3. bassninja7

bassninja7

Mar 1, 2008
    Napoleon, OH
    http://www.myspace.com/publicface
    ...or how about you turn a few knobs and see what you like?

4. quigg

quigg

Jul 27, 2008
    Norfolk, VA
    I use the alternate channel on my V12 for drop tunings and it's set pretty differently than the primary channel that I use for standard. It'll just take some time for you to adjust to the new sound and eq to your taste.

5. PJMiDi

PJMiDi

Feb 27, 2009
    Columbus, OH
    The douglas wont sound as good as the MM at any settings imo, beyond that do what quigg said.

6. The F# string will pretty much always sound muddy.

If you search around long enough, you will find many threads all ending up with the same answers.

7. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    That low on a 34 or 35" scale is going to sound muddy, you don't have the string tension to keep the tone tight and directed. Think about a bass with a longer scale length.

You're fighting an uphill battle, but if you're ok with that, start with your amp set for as neutral/flat as possible and add/subract from there. Also, with that frequency range, you're going to want to think about a high wattage amp and some speakers designed to produce a wide frequency range.

8. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Inactive Suspended

If you are using a standard six string set you'll probably not have too much success. You should look for proper strings for that tuning - they are available but rare.

You also have to look at your amps and especially your cabs. Most commercially available cabinets start dropping their response around 40-60Hz. They are incapable of reproducing an F# with any authority. I have detuned one of my sixes to A, which my Acmes had no problems with but you are two tones below that. I guess you should research what players using ultra wide range instrument are using. Billy Dickens has a nine string with an F# IIRC. Possibly Chapman Stick players would be others to look at.

Paul

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Dec 1, 2020