1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

I need HELP recording

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Iceman327, Aug 8, 2012.

1. Iceman327

Iceman327

Jul 24, 2012
    Before anybody directs me back to the "Recording 101" thread I want to say I've carefully read through the articles that pertain to some of my questions, but I still require further assistance.

I'm trying to record some bass guitar tracks and I'm pretty sure I have decent enough equipment to get the job done, but I lack experience and know how with the software side of recording. I can play the bass just fine, but I don't know where to start with how to get the best sounding recordings.

My current setup:

Ibanez Soundgear SR500M Bass guitar
    Behringer BXL1800 180WATT Amp
    Boss Keyboard Mixer KM-600
    Standard M-audio USB studio interface
    AVS Audio Editor is the software I'm using for recording/editing

What I'm currently struggling with is what settings to use on the software such as how high the gain should be, how to use the compressor, and how to get the best latency and overall just a general guide on hands-on recording do's and don'ts.

If anyone can offer me any advice I would greatly appreciate it.

2. FronTowardEnemy

FronTowardEnemy It is better to go unnoticed, than to suck Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2006
    Plainfield Illinois
    Have you checked out www.tweakheadz.com ?
    I read through their guide twice before I started any recordings and have had pro results.

3. Iceman327

Iceman327

Jul 24, 2012
    I have not, but I will certainly peruse around the site. Thank you.:)

4. jarrydee

jarrydee

Oct 22, 2011
    Michigan
    I would make sure to record below 0db, yellow is the new red when it comes to input levels! with 24bit recording you do not have to worry about the noise floor like you did with tape. Keep your input levels low and record strait in with no eq or effects. All the eq'ing can be done after you get a clean take, use a low pass filter just a tad and compress to taste..after you get everything down make sure you do a little cutting on the bass so it does not conflict with the kick drum (frequency wise)...remember it is always better to cut than to boost when eq'ing any instrument, and always make sure to carve out spots for an instruments frequency, use hi pass filters on everything that is not bass related IMO. not a lot, but just to clean things up. Try and use delay in place of reverb when possible...have fun!!

5. ScottTunes

ScottTunes Gear-A-Holic Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2011
    So Cal

Wow! Some excellent and concise information! Couldn't have said it better myself!

One recommendation: check out Reaper. Great DAW to record/mix with! And though it is likely better than other recording programs, the price is unbeatable! It comes with very good documentation, and a forum too. So you'll never get lost!

Happy recording!

6. jarrydee

jarrydee

Oct 22, 2011
    Michigan
    +1... Reaper is a great DAW, and you can try it out for as long as you want, you should buy it after you learn it though. It is great for people new at recording because it is very stable, I started with Pro tools when it first came out and after all this time it is still the pickiest DAW out there and can make you want to kick a hole in your computer...lol!