1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I need some cheering up....

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by kissmybASS01, May 4, 2010.

1. Friday, I was informed that I am being demoted:bawl: I work at a smaller kitchen/millwork cabinet company and had risen from the ranks up to the front office to do purchasing.
    After a short while, I was also starting to do some basic engineering (Autocad) in addition to just purchasing. As both responsibilities were new to me, I had a pretty steep learning curve.

If my job was strictly purchasing I would be okay, but because we only have 1 full-time engineer pumping out orders, there is a huge bottle-neck sending out work for the plant. I am being replaced by someone with a lot more drafting/engineering background.

As for money, here is where I start to worry a tad. While in the office I was on salary, and now that I'm back in the shop, I'll be put back on hourly wage. At least my wage has been bumped up slightly higher than my salary. The thing that worries me is that during the "slow-downs," the shop ends up going home early (short hours.) No work - no money:(

I start back in the trenches tomorrow morning. I can't wait for all the ribbing "What are you doing back here?" "Did you get fired?!" Yippeee:rollno:

2. Better to be the best team in a lower division than bottom team in the top division :)

3. waleross

waleross

Nov 27, 2009
    South Florida
    I went to school and got a music degree. OK I then worked at various jobs. I wasn't certified to teach music so I eventually got a job at the local Tax collectors office. I lasted there for 12 years and when I resigned before they fired me I was locked in to a pension. I worked at warehouses and all kinds of crap jobs. I remember bumping into people who were really successful at music at the office I worked at and they said "what happened to you" and "at least you have a steady job". There are all paths to take and life deals everybody a different hand to play out. Now I'm almost 60 and I am finally returning to music. My advice to you is to throw yourself into music at night if you are not already doing it. This way the streight working world won't effect you as much. Being a bass player in a band is a whole lot better than any day job IMO.......good luck :cool:

4. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    It's better than no job at all, right? You could have been "let go" instead. Lemonade my friend.

5. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    The only thing you have any control over at all is your attitude. I'm not saying yours is bad mind you, but I often have to remind myself of this fact. The way you handle the next week or two is going to have a certain amount of bearing on the future.

6. All true! :) Gone are the days you get trained as a "whatever" and that's your career for 50 yrs. You are right, that at least I'm still valuable to my company.

In addition, I made some good connections with our suppliers during my stint as purchaser. These may come in handy.

+1 to rather playing in my band rather than day job. Unfortunately, my newly acquired house reuires more than my band makes right now.:rollno:

7. As has been said, in the current economic times, having a job means more than enough!

If you were having trouble with the learning curve for the CAD etc, you could try and take in some classes at night. A few months down the line, let your boss in on what you've added to the CV and see if he is willing to let you have another shot. The fact you took the initiative, saw what you were lacking and attacked it would look really good :)