Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I need some quick help here... (5-string bass under $550)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mike Money, Oct 6, 2004.

1. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Yes, there is Ibanez... Yamaha... Fender... Shecter... Spector... OLP... G&L...

I'm getting a 5 soon. I went looking today, GC didn't have much in my range. They will give me a used G&L USA model for $425.. but its not all that beefy.

The Ibanez they had lacked any balls at all... the top 4 strings were fine and punchy, but the low b was lame.

Fenders are to heavy for my tastes..

I haven't played any shecters, but they seem nice.

I don't need a great bass... I want something that sounds nice, has some punch, preferably active... and can take a beating.

No brands barred... as long as it is under $550... hell, even if it is used.

2. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    I would get a used MTD Heir Active (or passive which are around $400) they seem to be great basses and good bang for your buck.

3. Judge

Judge

Mar 26, 2004
    Dubai
    Bought my Yamaha BB605 for the equivalent of $500. Good bass with nice range of tone and the neck is somewhat flat which I like.

Had the bass for around 7 months now and I am very pleased with it. Nice active and passive sound.

It's the new BB605 so any second hand ones you come across are likely to be the old models, which I've been told don't really match up to the new models.

4. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Lakland 55-01

5. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Toronto
    Dillion VMB-500 is a excellent passive bass, for well under $550.00

http://www.dillionguitars.com/bass/electric/VMB500

If you're interested, email John Dillion and he will direct you one of his dealers that's closest to you.

The quality, fit, finish and hardware on these basses is outstanding for the money. And they come with one of the nicest playing 5-string necks around.

TD

PS, yup I owned one for just under 6 yrs now,

6. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    If I were you, I'd be giving serious consideration to that G&L. What model is it?

Lack of beef isn't a common G&L complaint. Unless someone's mucked with the pickups and/or tone circuit, I'll bet new strings and a setup are all it needs.

7. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"

+1

8. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Under $550? MTD Kingston, definitely.

Mr. Money, you got PM....

9. mike sancho

mike sancho SANCH

Feb 10, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    I have a KSD V5 proto for sale for 450.00. Still available and just waiting for a new home. email me if you would like some pics.

10. You could have an american G&L for 425$ ?!?!?!?!?

Grab that bass!!!

11. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    I loved that G&L... but the sound wasn't there... and I don't want to buy it, get it set up, new strings etc... and then still not like the feminine B-string...

How much do the MTD's run?

Sancho has a PM

12. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    Gard is the man - work with him!

13. Do the MTD by far man.... the neck is like butta and the quality is top notch. I owned a Kingston 5 a few years back and now i'm SERIOUSLY looking into the Active Heir for a backup. The B string is very tight and very well defined.

What was the G&L model? I was looking into getting one of the Tributes as a backup for my MIA Fender Jazz V, but after seeing the newer Active Heir's, i think i'm going that route...

14. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California

I'm not sure what the model was.. it was mint/seafoam green.... one p-style pick up, 5 string... Guy said it was an 80's model..

15. Oh, I thought it was an L-2500. I hope you wouldn't have let go an L-2500 for 425$. :smug:

16. flea claypool

flea claypool

Jun 27, 2004
    Ireland
    one of the nicest Bs on the market is a second hand Warwick Corvette
    like off ebay theyre bout 600 but well worth it.....

but try one cause im a warwick lover! so you have to play one first

17. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    These basses are great for the money. I have the 6er and it sounds and plays great. 3 Band EMG EQ, J and Humbucker and the body is curved like the US and Czechs. Check it out, I bet you can get it delivered for 550.

Check it out

18. joetheragman

joetheragman

Oct 4, 2004
    florida
    I recently tried out a new Washburn 5 string neck through that was absolutely first rate in the price range you mentioned.

Also Carvins are nice, but their resale value is usually low, so try e bay for a carvin lb 75 or bb 75. They are spectacular, stable and you can take batting practice with them.

19. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    This deal isn't exactly chopped liver! This a sweet price for a good bass.