1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I really have no clue what I'm doing wrong here! Help!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by TheAndinator, Aug 10, 2019.

1. Another day, another gear question.

So I just received my new Eden WTDI in the mail and it really has improved my tone significantly! The thing is, it only works when plugged in to it's own power supply. While running the pedal by itself, or with another pedal that is running on battery power. When I plug it into my board and into the power supply, the lights turn on, but the signal won't pass through and it makes a loud popping sound when I engage the footswitch to turn it off. It still makes the popping noises when I plug in a cable to the input, and sometimes I can get it to work if I hold the switch in without pressing it all the way down. I know that the WTDI has a 12-18v Center positive input. I have both a 12 and 18 on my power supply that light up and work just fine. I also use an adapter for the cable so it's center positive. (I really don't feel like ruining anything like that any time soon!) I have another pedal on my board that is center positive as well, and it works perfectly fine in sync with the rest of the pedals. Is my problem that I don't have enough power to go around? All the lights still turn on when plugged in and when I use all the pedals minus the Eden, they never give me trouble with flickering lights or sounds. I have tried both the 12v and 18v inputs with no luck. Any ideas what I should do? Would i fix this by buying a separate power source for the WTDI? Any help would be appreciated!
    4EF7957C-3C53-42BA-ADD4-C2040633D7A7.jpeg 61C87F1A-8F15-4C2F-A61C-85402B41A66F.jpeg

Rojd and joe vegas like this.
  2. Forgot to add in that I know all the cables in between work, they have all been tested and have no problems!

3. Nighttrain1127

Nighttrain1127 Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2004
    Near Worcester MA
    The only thing I can think of is your power supply may be delivering the correct voltage just not enough current That would be why it works on it's own power supply.

Alex_H, tonymcbony, -Asdfgh- and 8 others like this.
  4. Real Soon

Real Soon

Aug 15, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    My money's on you being out of juice. The Moskey power supplies get mixed reviews, including some accusations of corporatespeak fluffing of features... and while I see it draws 1000mA current, I can't find info on its total output. It may deliver less than that.

And, seeing you've got a healthy set of pedals on it already, I'd suggest testing it by bypassing/unplugging a couple other pedals and seeing if you can get a good signal out of the WTDI then.

Or are you saying that you've already tried that, and the WTDI only works on the Moskey when run by itself?

Alex_H, juancaminos and TheAndinator like this.
  5. So I did some more testing and found that when all the pedals are plugged in and engaged (just to make sure) The WTDI still runs just fine when connected to the supply as long as I plug directly into it. I'm assuming you're right with there just not being enough power, but it's weird that they all still power on with no problem. I'll need to get another cord to make sure, but that's probably it.

6. Nighttrain1127

Nov 27, 2004
    Near Worcester MA
    Some of those other ones are light loads and the Pre probably wants more than what is left over for it

TheAndinator likes this.
  7. Makes sense, would that be why it won't work with the rest when plugged in together? Even when I connect my last pedal to the WTDI and play directly into the Blue chorus pedal, it won't work when they're both plugged in. Basically, even if they're turned on, it takes more power when there's a signal actually going through?

8. Roland GR 88

Roland GR 88

Sep 16, 2013
    Whitby
    The WTDI asks for 400ma and uses about 90 when on.
    Polarity is tip +.

TheAndinator likes this.
  9. I can confirm that I at least have the right polarity

10. HalfManHalfBass

HalfManHalfBass

Jan 21, 2003
    To me the reason sounds as described above.

The power supply can't provide adequate juice.

Check the milliamps needed by the pedal against that supplied at each power tap on the power supply. I'm pretty sure you'll find the unit simply can't provide the 400ma necessary per output. The popping noise sounds like the pedal can't effectively turn itself on due to starved voltage.

TheAndinator likes this.
  11. crguti

crguti

Feb 14, 2011
    Scandinavia
    Read The Friendly Manual:

Output:
    1 to 7 Output : 9V 100mA
    8 Output :9V 500mA
    9 Output :12V 100mA
    10 Output :18V 100mA

instrumentalist and AudioTaper like this.
  12. Nighttrain1127

Nov 27, 2004
    Near Worcester MA
    Well according to the above you do not have the current to run that pedal at 12 or 18 volts. Both only supply 100mA and you need 400 mA.

/\/\3phist0 and TheAndinator like this.
  13. Real Soon

Real Soon

Aug 15, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    On the other hand, it's possible for units to "fudge" those numbers apparently. I found that out when seeing if I could run a Two Notes Le Bass on my OneSpot CS12; I should not have been, as its 12V output is rated 100mA vs the Le Bass wanting 500mA. However, I read that it'll draw as much as it needs as long as the whole unit doesn't get overdrawn, and sure enough, it ran fine.

That could certainly depend on the specific power supply, of course.

& I wonder if some of the other pedals, if not actively processing signal, take reduced amounts of power to run? TC Electronic pedals are essentially tiny computers, so it wouldn't be out of the realm of reason.

TheAndinator likes this.
  14. Nighttrain1127

Nov 27, 2004
    Near Worcester MA
    That makes sense also maybe the Powersupply is not functioning properly? Try turning off a pedal at a time and see when the WTDI starts working. If all the pedals have to be off for it to work either the power supply is Wonky or it just does not produce the juice to run them all.

TheAndinator likes this.
  15. Rip Van Dan

Rip Van Dan DNA Endorsing Artist Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2009
    Duvall, WA
    The WTDI comes with its own 15volt 400mA power supply. You shouldn't have to buy another one, just use the one that came with it. I love mine. I don't have a peddle board though. I have Eden and DNA gear and I just use mine when I'm forced to use a backline or go direct "into the board". When using it in a backline amp I just plug the 1/4" output into the effects-return of the backline amp. That bypasses the backline amp's preamp and I get instant Eden sound. I recently used it at a recording session and the engineer had to come out and get a good look at what I was using that sounded so good.

dbsfgyd1 and TheAndinator like this.
  16. monsterthompson

monsterthompson The Eighth Note Wonder Of The World Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2008
    Hollywood
    I had a similar experience with another pedal pre. Turned out the mA rating wasn’t high enough on the supply I was using. I’m thinking that might be the issue, which others have also mentioned.

TheAndinator likes this.
  17. non

non

Aug 4, 2015
    OP, if you have the power supply for the unit and you have a AC out on the power brick on your board, if there is room, plug power supply into the bower brick and you are good to go.

TheAndinator likes this.
  18. I bought mine used, so it didn't have the power supply. But I'll be ordering one soon. I went through all the options for making it work, and it's definitely just needing more power. Hope that'll all work soon enough!

Rip Van Dan likes this.
  19. stringthrough

stringthrough Supporting Member

For starters your pedalboard has too much stuff.

Here's mine... Less is more

SpectraComp.jpg

TheAndinator and Shinbone like this.
  20. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Always has to be one in every effects forum crowd.

Anyway, stuff like your WTDI wanting special power requirements and reversed power plugs in today's world really bugs me. There are a million preamps out there that don't require 400 mA and center positive. What could it possibly do that requires 400 mA, and why, in a world where center neg is the standard, are companies still building pedals like this?