1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I really love and value the TalkBass community

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Shamiri On Bass, Oct 2, 2017.

1. Shamiri On Bass

Shamiri On Bass

Sep 30, 2013
    I don't expect many of you to read this, but I felt it was important to say something considering all the hate and negativity in the world currently.

So I was reading a certain thread by fellow Aussie @BAG and was filled with a great deal of pride in the TalkBass community. I'm 18 and have just finished high school here in Australia. Due to certain family circumstances, things are going to be difficult for me for the next few years as I make my way through university and I've had to make a lot of tough decisions and prepare for sacrifices recently. Now this isn't a complaint, I fully accept ownership and responsibility for the choices I'm making and I don't expect any sort of sympathy or help from anyone.

Back on track, quite a few people were millennial bashing in the thread I was reading and while I'm not technically a millennial, it's obvious many consider my generation in the same boat as millennials. Millennial bashing can be incredibly disheartening for myself and my peers. While some of you may not see it, I have watched as my friends and I have worked our asses of for the last five years both in school and in extracurriculars and part time work to try and begin making something good for ourselves. It was genuinely heartwarming to me to see so many of the TalkBass community not necessarily defend millennials, but who understand the challenges we must navigate. I found myself getting angry and insulted by some of the millennial bashing, but the indirect support for my friends and I helped to calm me down. I am so incredibly appreciative of the thoughtful, positive attitude and open, caring and helpful nature many of you have.

Thank you TalkBass

2. packrat

packrat Supporting Member

Mar 6, 2017
    Sydney, Australia
    Good luck for Uni stuff.

Shamiri On Bass, OldDog52 and slobake like this.
  3. OldDog52

OldDog52 Gold Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2011
    Pacific Northwest
    I never actually learned to play very well
    I'm guilty of past trash talk here about millennials. I apologize sincerely.

4. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Don't allow yourself to be painted with anyone's broad brush.

Keep getting after it. You are going to be great with work ethic like that.

5. slobake

slobake resident ... something Supporting Member

Thanks for speaking up about this. I have found the same folks who were bashing "old farts" when I was young are the same people who are now old and bashing "young punks." Some things never change. Don't believe them.
    Good look at the university.

6. blue4

blue4

Feb 3, 2013
    St. Louis area
    20096488_18_600_450.jpg

The struggle is real.

7. This just renews my belief that we are all more alike, than we are different. All over the world, regardless of race, culture, location, or abilities, I honestly believe we all have more in common that unites us, than we have differences that divide us.

8. Just pick up your fidget spinner and all the stress will melt away. Kidding. Anyway, get ready to up the hard work in college. Hope your issues resolves itself (and that your issue isn't getting someone pregnant).

Shamiri On Bass likes this.
  9. Shamiri On Bass

Shamiri On Bass

Sep 30, 2013
    Haha thank god it's not getting someone pregnant. Nah but in all seriousness though with some time and work they'll be sorted out, it's just getting by for the first few months that's gonna be the toughest

TOOL460002 and slobake like this.
  10. slobake

slobake resident ... something Supporting Member

Are those cheerleaders? I am afraid of cheeleaders :eek:

Last edited: Oct 2, 2017
    MonetBass, Shamiri On Bass and blue4 like this.
  11. I forget which comic had a bit about old a holes being jerks that just survived.

Shamiri On Bass likes this.
  12. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Every generation complains about the previous generation's music, cars, work ethic, clothes, hair styles, etc.
    Don't let that kind of stuff make you angry.

-Mike

13. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    Millennials are the very worst people ever. Well, except for Gen Xers. And maybe Baby Boomers. Yes, I would say Millennials, Gen Xers and Baby Boomers are some of the worst people alive. Have I left anyone out?

Oh, and some of the best.
    ;)

14. Oddly

Oddly

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    This is true.
    In this situation though it makes more sense to rewrite it a little....

'Every generation also complains about the next generation's music, cars, work ethic, clothes, hair styles, etc.'

@Shamiri On Bass , I wish you a happy and successful future. One day you too will be in a position to bemoan the state of them damn' youngsters who've invaded your precious lawn.:D

slobake likes this.
  15. My fellow Australian...

"Happy Bass players are all alike, but every unhappy Bass player is unhappy in their own way" - Me

Good luck with your studies!

Shamiri On Bass and slobake like this.
  16. Son of Wobble

Son of Wobble

Mar 8, 2010
    In this particular case, I am willing to embrace that which I fear. Thanks for hooking it up, blue4.

17. D M C

D M C Oh good god, this again? Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2015
    North America, Earth
    I recommend pepperoncini as a dietary supplement.
    People are the worst.

And of all people, brats are the wurst.

18. ONYX

ONYX

Apr 14, 2000
    Michigan
    I for one, thumb my nose at anyone not of my generation---and by "my generation" I mean anyone younger than 50 and older than 48. Can't be bothered with them.

All kidding aside, you shouldn't let the opinions of others get to you. After all, anyone who can make a broad, sweeping generalization and expect it to apply to an entire group of people, probably isn't worth talking to anyway.

Unless it's drummers that we're talking about. In that case, all of our bashing is legit. ;)

Shamiri On Bass and MJ5150 like this.
  19. Son of Wobble

Son of Wobble

Mar 8, 2010

GregC likes this.
  20. D M C

D M C Oh good god, this again? Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2015
    North America, Earth
    I recommend pepperoncini as a dietary supplement.
    1EEDC3F7-5B39-4E47-9E3F-9B072DD1E6EA.jpeg

Son of Wobble likes this.