1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I really need help.

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Brandonh, Jul 18, 2007.

1. Brandonh

Brandonh

Jul 18, 2007
    I cant tell for sure becuase I have only been playing for around 9 months but I think I have the ideal amount of releif in my neck. However when my strings are all set around the same height my E and G are fine but my A and D buzz like crazy ecpecually 15 and higher. What could cause this weird thing?

2. The BurgerMeister

The BurgerMeister musician.

Apr 13, 2006
    Big Bear, CA
    oops! wrong forum.

but it sounds like a setup is needed.
    http://[malware url removed].net/vicious-smiley-1815.gif

3. timmbass

timmbass

Oct 4, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    What do you mean by same height? Are you measuring up from the radius of a fret or from the top of something flat like a pickup?

Basically, the neck has a radius to it, so the strings should have a radius to them. As measured from the flat top of a pickup the outer strings sould be closer to the top of the pickup and the inner two two strings of a four string bass should be farther away from the flat top of a pickup.

And the strings should have a radius that is sort of a curved parallel to the radius of the frets, but, the larger diameter strings vibrate more, so each larger string needs to be slightly farther away from the radius of one of those frets.

Sounds to me like your strings are flat so therefore your two inner strings are incorrectly to close to the frets and that is why they buzz. If the neck is ok as you believe the inner to strings need to be raised at the bridge

I would hope that you have put new strings on it since it was new, if not I would recommend new strings. And either way I would think a professional adjustment would be money well spent.

One more thing, starting a thread like..."having problems with fret buzzing"...will get you more experienced help. Some people here don't even look at the daily "please help me" threads.

And welcome to talkbass. This is a great forum. The best I have ever visited on any topic.

4. Brandonh

Brandonh

Jul 18, 2007
    Wait do you mean the A and D as the inner strings? they are the same height as the E and G but they buzz. So those are supposed to be raised higher?:eek:

5. whoapower

whoapower

Jul 14, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Look at your neck, from the headstock down to the bridge... see there is a curve there? the E and G strings are lower down and it arcs up where the A & D strings are slightly higher. If everything is level, then there will be buzzing. There are a few other adjustments in regards to string height and buzzing that needs to be addressed in the setup as well.

6. timmbass

timmbass

Oct 4, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    Ok. The first string, the smallest diameter string, the G string sould be closest to the radius of the fretboard. Then each next string should be slightly higher away from the radius of the fretboard.

So then the inner two strings, the second and third strings, the D and A strings are slightly higher off the flat surface of a pickup or the flat surface of a pickguard.

And the outter two strings, the first and fourth strings, the G and E strings are...or should be closer to the flat surfact of the top of a pickup or of the pickguard.

http://www.pittmanguitarrepair.com/index.cfm?mode=entry&entry=8D7EC035-D610-A6A8-6849F496817A9522

7. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    This is a setup issue. Moved.

8. Brandonh

Brandonh

Jul 18, 2007
    Well Its a fender precsicion Mim

And I think I have my relief just fine its a reallly small space something like a credit card.

9. Brandonh

Brandonh

Jul 18, 2007
    Got sick of it took it to a very highly reccomended tech in my area.