Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I Really Want To Record...

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Petary791, May 10, 2005.

1. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    ...yes I do. I don't have a mixer or anything, but I do have a mic on my computer. Is there any way I can put my mic close to my amp and record onto my hard drive or anything?

Thanks. :bassist:

2. I'd recommend getting a cheap tape recorder from radio shack if you aren't too concerned about the quality of recording, your computers built in mic will suck. If your really interested in getting it into your computer, what about dual 1/4" to single 1/4" plug going into your bass and a 1/4" to 1/8" cable, so you can run one line into your amp and one line direct into your computers line-in. I've used the above method to capture ideas many times before I got a better soundcard, but it leaves much to be desired, not to mention it's not the same as a quality DI.

3. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    That's where you lost me. That would be sweet to do that, but I'm not sure what you mean by any of it.

4. Koushaku

Koushaku The artist never sleeps, only dreams

Mar 10, 2005
    Albany, NY
    Your computer has a mic input, if you have plug-in speakers/headphones it'll be next to those. You can get a cable that goes 1/4" to 1/8"(that's the big plug into the little plug) or even an adapter to stick on the end of a regular guitar cable so that it fits in the mic input. Then you can record into your computer.

What was suggested is that you have a cable that has two 1/4" ends so you can hear yourself through your amp and then have the other end go into your computer if that's what you want.

5. ok, sorry, i'm a geek, heres some pictures, the way i suggested, you take the first thing, the y adapter(that has 1x 1/4" out and 2 x 1/4", and plug it into bass, then run one cable out of it into your amp with your regular instrument cable so you can monitor yourself , then take the cable that looks like the second picture, the 1/4" to 1/8" cable, and run that to back of computer, make sure your computer speakers are off all of the way, and you have the proper input selected in your volume control panel in windows. Your computer should have some inputs on the back, and will have little pictures. If you can see them, the picture with the arrow going in it,, like this

()<--
    If you don't have that, and only have a mic in line, thats fine too, they usually have a little picture of a microphone. Good luck, just post some more if you don't get it, no problem. You'll also have to set your levels from whatever your plugging into, best to start off with a low lvl for your input volume in windows and gradually raise it until it's almost clipping, if of course you've got some sort of vu meter in the program your using, or you can just put it in the middle, and adjust from their, but be cautious, don't want to blow anything up.

Attached Files:

6. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Sweet, i've got everything.

What's a good program to record?

EDIT: I'm using my Creative Recorder that came with my Soundcard. I'm trying to record into the Mic jack. Nothing will record. I've tried all the different settings.

There's a blue jack in the back of my soundcard, should I try that?

If you need pics i'll hook you up.

7. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Alright I got it working but I can't figure out how to save it as an MP3. Only wav. :(

EDIT: I'm finding a free wav converter; any suggestions?

8. dave_clark69

dave_clark69 Guest

Jan 17, 2003
    Go to the Steinberg site. Snoop around a bit. You'll be able to find a demo of some of their software. Record the bass via line in. Then you can do some MIDI work too :hyper:

9. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA