I saw Vic's Soul Circus last night

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Indi86, Mar 21, 2005.

1. in Rochester. What an intense show! The show was a bit over the top for my tastes, but it was acceptable, because Vic proved once again what a monster he is on bass. Anthony Wellington is no slouch either! That guy rocks.

Some of the music was too 80's for me, but some of it was truly stunning. The band puts on a stellar show, and the only thing that really bugged me was Regi's guitar tone. It, uh, sucked. He's a monster player with the tinniest tone ever!

I don't know if it is new, but Vic had a sweet blacked out Fodera with him that I had never seen before. It had LED's done by Sim's in it (I asked after the show). They were wired through a dB meter or something similar, because depending on how loud he played, they would light up further and further up the neck, eventually setting the Fodera butterfly aglow with blue light.

I'm really looking forward to the new disk.
  2. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    I saw listing for it coming to ATL... I wasn't sure what the 'Soul Circus' was about.

Interesting Fodera idea.

Regi is the coolest cat ever...maybe there was something wrong with his amp?
  3. Chazinroch

Feb 2, 2003
    Ontario N.Y.
    I saw the same show and I agree. Victor is amazing and the entire production was top shelf. I had the opportunity to attend Gerald Veasley's Bass bootcamp last week and Anthony Wellington was one of the instructors. He rocks!!! BTW Gerald's bootcamp was an excellent experience. All of the instuctors were humble, approachable, extremely talented and willing to share.
  4. hippiesandwich

Aug 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Affiliated with Looperlative Audio Products
    Regi IS the coolest cat ever! Every time I've seen him he is playing a cheap Squire Strat through an even cheaper old Peavey combo amp (that as I heard the story someone gave him). Clearly Regi has no GAS! :D
  5. Bassist4Life

Dec 17, 2004
    Buffalo, NY
    I was at the Rochester show also. Amazing! If I remember correctly, he played from 8 until 11:30! Regi did have a really rough sound. I think he was playing through a compressor and he was picking up a tone of hum from the lights. When he stopped playing, the hum was way loud. As soon as he played, the hum went away. His tone was thin and full of treble. All of that aside, he still kicked butt. I dug it when he put on the 10-string bass. I got some pics of that. I hope they come out good.

6. oversoul

oversoul fretless by fate

Feb 16, 2004
    not quite true, as he owns a 10 string bass and a doubled 8 string upright from Ergo instruments :eek:
  7. RobBass

Mar 11, 2005
    Berks county, Pa
    Regi's playing was unreal at Berks Jazz Fest in Reading, Pa on Friday. The dude played a very cool guitar solo with a amazing "slap bass" stint on a STRAT!
    Vic was awesome :bassist: Best BASS show I ever attended!
  8. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Are you sure? I read an article in Guitar Player (GREAT mag, by the way) on Regi and he's got this nutso Kramer with piezos on either side of a locking nut. This way, he can get notes on BOTH sides of a tapped fret (how freakin' sweet is that?). Also, when he locks down the nut, he can use alternative headstock tunings that he can play on that don't affect the tuning of the strings past the nut! Isn't that just freakin' wild? It's also lit up all over by blue LEDs.
  9. Nope, he was definitely playin' that squier. Hey Bassist were you the guy right up front in the middle holding a camera above the crowd taking pics? Like just right of center?
  10. j-raj

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    yeah that is true, he is not about the GAS or the gear... or acquiring tons of it. The tools he owns, are his work horses. He is a very spiritual yet grounded and pragmatic cat.

Last time I was up in Nashville, I grabbed a lesson with him and later that evening Jami and I caught one of his cover gigs on Demonbreun.

no oversoul, he isn't a gasaholic at all. Very humble and not gear-materialistic. I don't think that having either makes him a gas'er.

As for basses, his main bass is a really old beat-up Alembic series I with the 3 knob electronics (s'wich fill me in what electronics package that is)...

Having been to his apt/house and played both of the Jessie Blue O'neill beasts (EUB 8'er & 10'er)... that 10'er has really low action and dead strings! It is fun to play, damn heavy though... actually I played it through that peavey combo Lowell was talking about. :smug: The 'doubled 8 string' actually was a 7 stringer when I played it...
  11. Hey bassist: I didn't take any pictures, but Vic was play so many basses throughout the night. I did notice the fretless tone on the red/white ying-yang Fodera though.
  12. Bassist4Life

Dec 17, 2004
    Buffalo, NY

I was left of the guy with the camera that had a telescope for a lense. There was a guy behind me doing a lot of over the head shots. I was over on front of Regi though. I got my pictures back and they turned out pretty good. I wanted to share a pic of Regi with his 10, but I can't figure out how to post it.

13. Don't_Fret

Don't_Fret Justin Schornstein

Dec 10, 2003
    East Coast, US
    I was at Bootcamp too! I didn't think there were any TB'ers there. :hyper:
  14. Where did you see he was coming to ATL? It's not on his website, but I want to go.
  15. Bassist4Life

Dec 17, 2004
    Buffalo, NY

Do you remember Vick using a loop sampler during his solo spot in the show? You mentioned that you talked to him about his LED's, did you see what he was using for his loop?

16. Bassist4Life

Dec 17, 2004
    Buffalo, NY
    Here is a pic from the Rochester show.
  17. j-raj

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    yup that's the bass... big as heck!
  18. Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    I'm going to see 'em in about a month or so at the H.O.B. in Cleveland. :D :D :D
  19. I didn't talk to him about the looper, but IIRC he uses a boomerang. I could be completely off base though. Nice pic of that crazy 10.
    You should post the rest of them!
  20. Re: Vic's looper he probably has several b ut I'm pretty sure he uses a trusty Boss RC20 - saying that though mine keeps going a bit weird...