1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I shouldn't learn to play this stuff, should I?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by pklima, Oct 15, 2018.

Tags:
  1. pklima

pklima Commercial User

May 2, 2003
    Kraków, Polska
    Karoryfer Samples
    So, I bought this for the equivalent of $111.68, spent a bit on new snare wires, a few rubber feet for the stands, and a bottle of rust remover to get a key to fit over the lugs. The idea is to use them for a specific recording session, then sell them.

I shouldn't actually keep them and learn to play them, should I?

006.jpg 005.jpg

And a few "before" detail photos, with more dust, rust, and the busted snare wires:

003.png 002.png 001.png

2. Oddly

Oddly

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    I'm very impressed that you bought a kit that matches your couch so perfectly.
    Of course you should keep them and play them.
    Learning any other lesser instrument can only improve how you play bass, which is obviously the most important thing.

3. btmpancake

btmpancake Gold Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2015
    Apollo beach, Florida
    Go ahead clean 'em up and get the parts they need and learn to play them. You'll be a more valuable band member playing more than one instrument and possible time improvement. It works for some. PS- They look valuable, possibly antiques from the looks of those cymbals and hardware.

LowActionHero likes this.
  4. Skybone

Skybone

Jun 20, 2016
    Scotland
    It'd be rude not to learn.

Pretty sure your neighbours will be keen on you learning to play the drums as well.

5. pklima

pklima Commercial User

May 2, 2003
    Kraków, Polska
    Karoryfer Samples
    Nah, they really are worth $100-150, and I'm guessing they date to the early 80s or so. But the kit is complete including stands all made by the same guy, only the snare wires exploded and the stands lost about half of their rubber feet, and the cymbals are from factories on our side of the Iron Curtain. There's a lot of rust on the hardware making it look really old, but that's mostly the plating not being very good. Here's an article in English about the maker: Drums made in Poland: Szpaderski | Beatit.tv

btmpancake likes this.
  6. I think yes, you should learn to play it before the recording session.

7. Copperhead

Copperhead Still creakin' around. Supporting Member

Jul 29, 2018
    Tennessee
    Good exercise. Go for Neal Peart and get fit.

8. ELG60

ELG60 Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Mid-Florida
    I say, learn to play them...It will give you future opportunity to fire yourself.

Krizz, kobass, pellomoco14 and 2 others like this.
  9. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    The rack toms look very tall - do you have to stand up to play those?

saabfender likes this.
  10. pklima

pklima Commercial User

May 2, 2003
    Kraków, Polska
    Karoryfer Samples
    They sure are big - 14x14 and 15x15 rack toms are something you don't see every day. The floor tom's 18x16 and kick 24x17, so these are big even for 80s metal sized drums, but with 60s style thin shells and lightweight hardware. I wonder if this was an unusual request from a customer, or some intermediate phase when bigger drums were getting popular so he started making them bigger, but he hadn't redesigned things to be heavier yet.

11. Badwater

Badwater

Jan 12, 2017
    I think you should keep it. It really ties the room together. And makes for a great conversation piece.

JimK and zoonose like this.
  12. Clipped

Clipped

Aug 9, 2014
    Jersey
    What's the bunny think?

13. Thrillhouse

Thrillhouse

Jan 21, 2009
    Chicago, IL
    Kit doesn't look like much, really...why not just send it to me? I'll do you a favor and it take it off your hands.

14. lowphatbass

lowphatbass **** Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    I’m pretty sure drums are just like bass, learning them is relative. It’s a simple equation involving Spare Time, Natural Ability and Goals.

ST x NA = G or greater than you’re good to go.

bolophonic likes this.
  15. twinjet

twinjet Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2008
    On that note, I'd say don't learn because then you'd have to fire... you.

Subsequently, you'd need to find a sideman to play drums for this session. Now you have a set of drums you won't use, you're out a gig and have to pay the drummer's dues. This has no written all over it.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2018
  16. interp

interp

Apr 14, 2005
    Garmisch, Germany
    For $111.68? Hell yeah.

17. mcarp555

mcarp555 Guest

Jul 14, 2013
    Keep them and first see if you can learn to play them. If not, sell.

18. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    learn anything and everything you get the chance to.

bholder and pellomoco14 like this.
  19. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Learn to play them, be prepared to fire yourself. :p

Iristone and jamro217 like this.
  20. bolophonic

bolophonic Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    I dug a drum set out of a dumpster and cleaned it up and installed it in the house. I have played it ONCE this whole year. But recently, I have been considering the idea of learning to play them correctly, once and for all.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 27, 2021