Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I think I have it figured out but . . .

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by nickalan620, Dec 10, 2004.

1. but I am not totally positive. I want to record to my computer and I think I have it straight. I was looking to get the M-Audio Auduiphile 2496 (i think that's what its called). If I get that card I believe it has RCA inputs. So a possible setup could be:
    my bass -> BBE Bmax pre line out or they call it a main out( i dont have a DI or mic pre) -> RCA on soundcard and then RCA out -> stereo. I can get an adaptor to go from 1/4" to RCA. My two questions are 1) can i use the BBE Bmax has a preamp to bring the bass to line level and 2) when using an adaptor to go from 1/4" to RCA do i need to have two RCA plugs on the other end or can I just use one RCA plug? I hope you understand what I am asking. :smug:

2. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    just a quick question.. why RCA out to stereo? for monitoring purposes?

what software will you be using to record with? it should allow you to monitor through the computer speakers or headphones plugged into the computer.

Since you are wanting to record bass onto the computer i would suggest saving up for the M-Audio 192 or Delta 44. that way you will have 1/4" ins and outs which will reduce having connector adapters. and to make the best use, you might want to find a card that has XLR inputs. you can typically get a hotter signal when using XLR versus unbalanced 1/4".

HTH

3. With that "break out box" that comes with the Delta 44 could i plug directly into the box straight from my bass?

4. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    yes, though you would probably want your BBE between your bass and the breakout box.

5. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    Memphis
    You'll definitely want the BBE between the bass and the computer. The signal from the bass is too low by itself.

6. what if you have active electronics?