1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

I think I prefer solid state amps...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jcburn, Jan 13, 2012.

1. Over the last few years I have spent a lot of money on tube amp/hybrid amps with tube preamps. I really just assumed due to the hype about tube amps that it is the sound I wanted.
    Ive found lately however that I am reminiscing about the sound I used to get from my old Fender BXR Dual Bass 400(mostly due to the fact I have a BXR 200 combo for smaller acoustic gigs - its very similar spec wise).
    I think I really like the punch and transient attack of a solid state amp, and to me what some call sterile I call modern and clean.
    Plus lately I've noticed one of my favourite players, Pat Badger from Extreme, is using GK amps and sounding great.
    Needed to get that off my chest.
    Flame retardent suit ON...:bag:

2. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    I too prefer solid state amps....no flames in sight:)

3. Different amps sound different.

Sound preferences are just that, preferences. I love the sound of a tube amp, but I can see why some people might not.

Different strokes for different folks and all that :)

4. Yeah - I guess the reason I am posting is I'm surprised I didn't realise this earlier. A bit of a palm to the forehead moment.
    Now I gotta decide whether to move my ABM head on or keep it on a bit longer.

5. Russell L

Russell L

Mar 5, 2011
    Cayce, SC
    My Little Mark III sounds as good as anything else I've heard. I like the convenience of small size and weight, and no maintenance. Tube amps sound great to me, though, I just don't wanna carry one or deal with tubes.

6. 73jbass

73jbass Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2004
    Ellenwood,Ga.
    I have never played an all tube amp,and never want too. I've been using my Thunderfunk since 2007 and never looked back. The audience doesn't know or care what amp you are playing through.

7. Tubes aren't as much of a maintenance deal as a lot of people think. Heck, transistors can die too.

You have a good point about weight, but even that is becoming less of an issue (granted, don't see them getting down to what you see with the Class D amps, but still getting lighter!)

8. As long as it sounds good and fits with the music. I think most audiences have a greater appreciation for a well matched setup, tonal unity you could say, between a band.

I've gotten many compliments about the sound of the bass from our band :), granted, even that will vary depending on where you play and how the sound guy sets you up.

9. SS is my forte. I prefer the tone. I could care less about weight or maintenance. The fact that the G1200HD was discontinued recently still urks me :(. Now I have to take extra care of my equipment... kind of hard to do when people spill alcohol all over your stuff at a venue being retarded.

10. christw

christw Get low!

May 11, 2008
    Dayton OH
    I want to be Tesla (tinkerer at Dayton Amp Co)
    I've lost as many transistor amps as tube amps. (One of each!) Still like both. :D

11. There's no shame in prefering solid state over tubes. To be honest, I think I've seen more SS amps then tube at live shows throughout the years. I think generally for power and affordability, solid state tends to trump tube.

I've been searching for the right amp for a long time. I had solid state 200w yorkville 115 combo a long time ago, and it sounded just fine. It was a solid piece of equipment that sounded good, and was incredibly reliable.

When I needed to upgrade and get more power, I bought an Ashdown ABM EVO II 500 (575w hybrid head). For the first three or four years I owned, I loved it. I was playing in a modern thrash band, and I just needed enough power to be heard and felt, and it gave me that.

Now that I play in three piece bands more, I don't like it as much. It's a good amp without a doubt, but the sound just isn't there for me. I want to get some real grit and warmth from tubes that this hybrid just can't do.

I'm gassing hard for a Genz Benz Streamliner 900. Been playing the crap out of one at a local store. Amazing sound. You can get more or less both ends of the spectrum with it; clean and articulate all the way to warm deep and dirty.

12. Russell L

Russell L

Mar 5, 2011
    Cayce, SC
    Oh I know. I just prefer to not have to even have to think about tubes. And yes, I've had solid state amps die, too (my Peavey Combo 300 died three times). It's just that tube amps don't sound enough better to me for me to get one.

13. rockscott

rockscott

Aug 28, 2010
    massachusetts
    I like ss better, always have!

14. GaryLC

GaryLC

Apr 6, 2006
    Scotia, NY
    I play both guitar & bass, and prefer tube amps for guitar....not so much for bass. I've had plenty of tube bass amps, but currently only have SS....A Carvin B1500, GK 800RB and an old Peavey Mark IV. To me, tubes can give you certain nuances with six string, but I find I just don't need that with bass. But it's all good!

15. powmetalbassist

powmetalbassist Supporting Member

This craze with Tube amps is just a phaze. Tube ihas been popular with guitarists for a very long time and there are alot of bassist who want that sound right now. Personally I like a clean tone, and if I want some distortion that is what my pedals are for. Plus tubes seem stupid expensive, heavy and if ever you have to replace one...geez...lookout!

16. Ah right, I just thought I would add that.

There are some members on the board who like to claim that tubes need replaced all the time is all :cool:

Don't know about that, the Ampeg SVT has been the epitomal bass amplifier for decades. Throw in things like fliptops too.

17. username1

username1

Dec 28, 2005
    alberta canada
    I love the sound of tubes but found my ampeg pf500 to sound more tube like than alot of hybrids I have had.

18. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    I've had a B-15N(C) since I was in college and it still sounds great, there are an awful lot of those amps still being used today, because they are easy to repair. All my other amps are solid state, built by Walter Woods. I have a MI-400-8 and a Woods Electroacoustic Ultra. They sound great, have lots of power, and are very reliable. The MI-400-8 emulates a tube amp beautifully. Personally, when you need a more powerful amp, it's less strain on the back to go with a solid state amp. One more point, from a ecological point of view, tube amps waste about 90% of their power in the heat that they produce, so they aren't particularly "green" , but I still love the sound of the B-15.

Ric

19. liquid sunshine

liquid sunshine

Jul 24, 2010
    This tube ''phase'' has lasted a really long time how many more years before it's not a phase.

20. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

One's sound is also a combination of the instrument and cabs-speakers. So, the current set-up I use (LH1000 w/LDS cabs) I really like. A different bass, one with active electronics could change everything.