1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

I wrapped a pickguard in adhesive Vinyl

Discussion in 'Accessories [BG] - NEW!' started by Skillet, Oct 20, 2018.

1. Skillet

Skillet Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2011
    Louisiana
    This Jaguar has been through a lot, and it took some whittling on the pickguard to make the neck I put on it work so I figured it would be a good test subject for changing the guard color with vinyl. The guard is black, now red.

Ordered the vinyl from Vvivid Vinyl. Sample sheets were 1 x 5 feet. The patient had already undergone some lightening experimentation (successful!).

The trick is to get it on without bubbles and then trim it without gooching it too badly. After the first trim I put the blade at an angle to expose the underlying ply color. It came out a bit rough but gave me enough confidence in the product to try again another day.
    20181020_093345. 20181020_095930.
    20181020_102434.

S-Bigbottom and pacojas like this.
  2. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN"

Oct 11, 2009
    MEXICANADAMERICA
    thanks for the tip!

3. Jim C

Jim C Is that what you meant to play or is this jazz? Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    How much weight were you able to remove?
    Sound any different?
    (guard looks great btw)

4. Skillet

Nov 25, 2011
    Louisiana
    Well I didn't have access to an accurate scale, just my old wonky bathroom scale. But by drilling those holes out, first with a paddle bit, then a forstner, it made a very noticeable difference, I'd guess at least a pound, maybe pound and a half.
    I was a little surprised by how heavy that little short scale body was when I got it. After drilling the body and putting Hipshot ultralite tuners on the headstock, the bass is around 7.5 lbs now, and a real pleasure to play.

5. Skillet

Nov 25, 2011
    Louisiana
    As for sound, I wish I would've paid more attention to that detail during the process, but between two rigs and 10 or so basses in rotation at the moment, that nuance slipped through the cracks. I can say that with short scale Dunlop flats on it, and the factory pups, the bass sounds amazing.

Jim C likes this.