1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ibanez 1305 Pickup/Pre replacement?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by SR1305, Apr 22, 2009.

1. SR1305

SR1305

Apr 22, 2009
    Hi,

I have an Ibanez Soundgear 1305 (5 string, the all mahogany body, wenge neck). This is the pre-Bartolini model purchased 2001).

I love the way this thing plays, but I hate the way it sounds - no definite tone, just sort of fat gloopy bottom, also it's pretty quiet. I've got the stock pre's AMDs, and Fodera uncoated 125 strings on it.

I need flexible tone, ranging from agressive: rock, funk, gospel, to chill: jazz, folk/rock. If I can get a JBass sound out of this thing, I'd love it. (I played a Lakland Skyline and dug the sounds I got out of that, to get a decent idea).

I was thinking an Aguilar OBP-3 + Nordy Soapbar pickup overhaul.

Any thoughts or alternative recommendations? I think the string spacing on the 1305 is smaller than most, so the pickups may need to be customized, I'm guessing.

Any feedback is appreciated.

2. rms2

rms2

May 27, 2008
    VA
    I talked to Bass Central about getting some replacement Bartolini's for my 1306 which is a narrow spacing also. It was a stock Bart so I suspect they would have it for the 1305 also. I haven't ordered them yet but the guys at Bass Central were very helpful - I would recommend them.

3. groove pump

groove pump

Oct 24, 2006
    A number of years back, I had a Korean SSD neck-thru bass that I loved to play, but I was interested in coaxing some more tone out of it. I enlisted the help of my favorite luthiers and dropped in a premium EMG system, pickups and preamp, and figured I had a home run on my hands.

As it turned out, the new electronics did work a little better, but the bass itself just didn't churn out solid tone for that new gear to send to my amp. My bass was maple, but I'm sure you've got better woods in your Ibanez and a better system should help you hear some more tones. My only caution is not to expect a completely night-and-day difference. Fortunately, you love playing that instrument now, so any extra tone that some new electronics can draw out for you will be a good thing.

In terms of on board pre's, I have no reservations toward Aguilar, Bartolini, or EMG, but can't help with ideas for pu's to fit that bass.

4. SR1305

SR1305

Apr 22, 2009
    @ RMS2 - What gear did Bass Central recommend for your 1306? Did they suggest changing out the preamp as well?

@ pumpgroove - Good feedback.. Wonder if it's worth the investment, or if I should put my funds towards a Korean Lakland. Still deciding....

5. rms2

rms2

May 27, 2008
    VA
    They said it would work with the stock pre but I know they would be happy to sell a Bart pre with the pu's. I chose Bart's because I am very happy with the sound of them in my Ibanez GWB1 and 2. However, I also have a Linc Luthier 6 with passive Bart's and it sounds phenomenal. I think unless you go with a very high end pre you are probably better off going passive. I don't think the pre in my 1306 is particularly high fidelity, though it does have a huge range.

Do you read Bass Player mag? There was a great interview with Anthony Jackson recently where he talks about his Foderas and why he insists on a passive pu wired directly to the output jack.