Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ibanez artcore

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by DaBassman, Feb 28, 2005.

1. DaBassman

DaBassman

Mar 25, 2002
    Oneonta, NY
    I want to change the pu in my Ibanez Artcore bass. Any suggestions? It has a very "dull/dead" sound now.......
    thanks

2. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    I hate to ask a stupid question... but have you changed the strings recently? A fresh pair of strings does wonders.

If yes, then I also have to ask.. what kind of sound are you looking for with the new pickups?

3. DaBassman

DaBassman

Mar 25, 2002
    Oneonta, NY
    Yeah, new strings, black nylon. I've used them on my Hofner but didn't get such a dull sound.
    Just would like to get a sound other than the "dead" sound I'm getting. I got it off ebay and it appears to be in great shape. Had it set up by local shop, but still not really happy with the sound...maybe the pup is just a bad one.....may have to go back to round wounds
    thanks

4. truckin88

truckin88

Oct 18, 2001
    Newburgh, NY
    it is an MM pickup right, SD 1/4 pounder then

5. rhett

rhett

Dec 23, 2004
    Austin TX
    do yourself a favor and try some (good) roundwounds first!
    the 2 different stock Artcores i played both have a great sound,
    one of them has become one of my main basses, with a tone i prefer over many that retail for 2 to 3x more.
    now i'm hooked on the semihollow tone and lack of extra pounds. i hafta ignore my bandmates complaints that the look doesn't fit our heavy genre of music, but two of them agree it sounds better than the other 6 or so i've dragged to practice.
    good luck!