1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ibanez ATK LA Custom Shop 4 - WOW

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jtlee, May 30, 2007.

1. jtlee

jtlee Supporting Member

Mar 2, 2005
    Portland, Oregon
    Normally I don't do write-ups (since I go through so many basses, I'd never get anything else done if I did!), but this one is pretty special. I just got this bass from a friend (Clint Norris - former bass player for As I Lay Dying, Ibanez endorsee and awesome guy). It's pretty unique, so I thought I'd share.

This is an LA Custom Shop Ibanez ATK 4. Specs:

Body: Flamed Maple top, walnut accent veneer, mahogany back.
    Neck: 5-piece maple with bubinga stringers.
    Headstock: Custom cut w/the smaller Ibanez logo.
    Tuners: Schaller (massive!)
    Pickups: Ibanez ATK Triple Coil w/DXJ Jazz neck pickup
    Preamp: Ibanez 3-band EQ w/5-Way Switch

I've owned several ATK's (korean ATK305, old Japanese ATK300) and this one is far and away the best in terms of playbility and tone that I've ever played (including any of the PBC USA ATKs). You can feel the bubinga stringers on the back of the neck and the whole bass is satin finished (except for the heastock), making it feel very "woody". But turn it up and it gets the sickest, snarliest tone imaginable; like a Wal/Stingray hybrid. But with the extra pickup and the 5-way, you can get lots of tones out of this bass. EQ is smooth and quiet (which is usually not the case with the lower end ATK's).

It's currently strung with super heavy gauge strings (.120 E!) since AILD plays drop-tuned metal and the neck is still stable (I actually just tuned it down to BEAD for kicks and it sounds HUGE). I kind of wondered why he decided to go for standard Ibanez DXJ in the neck position; he told me the LA custom shop guys said it works the best with the triple coil and I believe him...really good tones.

Anyway, it's a great bass...ATK's are just so perfect for aggressive styles of music; cuts through mixes beautifully so you can actually hear them even with a wall of distortion. Definitely check them out if you're looking for that type of tone.

Pics:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    That's awesome! I love the top on it.:cool:

3. Obese Chess

Obese Chess Spicy Big Dad Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2005
    Portland, OR
    I was thinking about buying one for one of my band's AILD joke songs. Now I'll DEFINITELY have to grab one.

4. Holy crap that is one sexy bass

5. lowmid

lowmid

Feb 2, 2005
    belgium
    It's a custom 1300 in fact? Because It really looks like a 1300 (which is damn sexy)

6. jtlee

jtlee Supporting Member

Mar 2, 2005
    Portland, Oregon
    LOL...it's OK. I don't dig AILD either because I can't stand the "growling/vocals". But I do like their music and I actually thought Clint's backup vocals were far better than their singer's!

7. Maple is right, maple works. Maple clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit.Maple, in all of its forms; maple for life, for money, for love, knowledge has marked the upward surge of mankind. And maple, you mark my words, will save the bass world.

I like maple.

8. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Hawt.

9. Very nice

Looks like a very fancy ATK400 (judging by the bridge design and the fact it also has the J neck pup)

10. jtlee

jtlee Supporting Member

Mar 2, 2005
    Portland, Oregon
    Yes, it a custom shop ATK 1300, which I don't think was ever available here in the states. I think they discontinued the ATK1300 in 2000?...not sure. The serial number on this one shows that is was made 05/04/06.

11. jtlee

jtlee Supporting Member

Mar 2, 2005
    Portland, Oregon
    What he said. :D

12. jtlee

jtlee Supporting Member

Mar 2, 2005
    Portland, Oregon
    It's based on a ATK1300, which was the Prestige version of the ATK400.

13. bovinehost

bovinehost Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    That is just about the sexiest Ibanez I've ever seen.

14. SurrenderMonkey

SurrenderMonkey

Aug 18, 2006
    Liverpool
    If they made it in 5 and available in Europe, I'd be all over it :)

15. Ibanez55

Ibanez55

Jul 20, 2006
    Mass
    thats thing is a beast

16. Thursday

Thursday

Nov 24, 2005
    Bronx, New York
    Lol... AILD... LMFAO! Good lookin bass. Also what do you mean former bass player for AILD? He lefted or got kicked out?

17. west*coast*bass

west*coast*bass Supporting Member

Dec 6, 2003
    Agoura Hills, CA
    I think the tuners need to be bigger.

18. jtlee

jtlee Supporting Member

Mar 2, 2005
    Portland, Oregon
    He left. Got married and went back to school.

19. jtlee

jtlee Supporting Member

Mar 2, 2005
    Portland, Oregon
    Some upright bass keys would look tight. :)

20. Maybe it is me, but the headstock has something I don't really like, but the rest is sweet... and god, I know they sound great! Have a POWERFUL low end.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 6, 2021