1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ibanez ATK not good for giging?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sirspoogesalot, Sep 19, 2008.

1. sirspoogesalot

sirspoogesalot

Apr 21, 2008
    London
    hello,

I am contemplating on buying myself an ATK bass, however i have heard that the jack comes off the bass realy easily, especialy when giging.

has anybody got experience with an atk? if so can they tell me if it actualy comes off.

2. jarrod cunningham

jarrod cunningham

Apr 24, 2007
    sylacauga alabama
    spector basses
    ive had a usa and a MIJ koa and both were awesome !

3. Lucas G

Lucas G

Jan 14, 2007
    masury, OH
    i am pretty sure what you are saying is absurd. atk's are well regarded as quality basses.

4. roro92

roro92

Sep 14, 2008
    I don't know that for sure, but I doubt it. I've played a couple of modern ATK's and those were very well made.

The day after tomorrow I'm picking up a Japanese made, so might be able to tell you about the older ones.

5. Never happened so far with my ATK that I think I've used for 60+ gigs during this year. As with anything else, it all depends on usage. There are tricks to make sure cables don't slip from guitars.

6. cubanbass

cubanbass Gold Supporting Member

Feb 1, 2006
    Hoboken, NJ
    They are great, though a bit on the heavy side. There is a Me'Shell Ndegeocello clip w/ her bass player grooving hard on one.

7. Never heard that. The ATK uses a solid shaft jack that is rock solid! There should be no issues with the jack. Awsome bass!

8. rocknjams89

rocknjams89

Sep 17, 2008
    get it dude!

9. CapnSev

CapnSev

Aug 19, 2006
    Coeur d'Alene
    If the jack falls out in your gig, which I doubt, then go get it repaired, and put a better jack in it.

It's a great bass, I think you'll like it.

10. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    If concerned... buy the bass and spend $5 on a new jack.

11. heyHermano

heyHermano

Jul 1, 2008
    Albuquerque
    I've got an older Made in Korea model...the thing has been solid in every way over the last 9 years. LOVE IT.

12. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I LOVE how that drummer plays. You can tell he's relaxed and knows he doesn't need to beat the hell out of the drums...

13. NWB

NWB

Apr 30, 2008
    Kirkland, WA
    Loose input jacks are a common thing on many different basses and guitars. Usually the nut holding the jack in place works loose and the jack either pushes into the instrument or falls out. This isn't limited to ATKs at all, which by most accounts, are really good basses.

A fix? Simply put a little dab of Loktite blue on the jack threads and then retighten the nut and you're good to go. I usually do this first thing on any electric intrument that I acquire.

14. well, I am slightly biased....being the creator of the ATK thread. but man its great. Its been my number one for over a year and it isnt going anywhere. Its great for rock, and its solid. mine is 13 years old and has never malfunctioned and I frequently gig without a backup. yes people are right about the jack...but thats a $10 fix from the start. you may not necessarily like the tone, but i can ASSURE you its GREAT for gigging

15. I've played over 300 gigs with ATK basses (Korean and US models). They are the best gigging bass I've ever owned. The Korean model I owned was basically indestructible. The are tough and very reliable.

16. alexgeddy

alexgeddy Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2007
    NJ
    Atkbasses are great basses~!~!

go for it!!

Just watched the meshell video ,,,,,, lost a lot of respect for her she has another bass player doin her fills !!!!!!

Just my dollar fifty worth lol

Bill

17. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    Say what you want about the jack, but I can tell you from experience that it'll outlast a Stingray jack.

18. Off topic, but what is that bonermaker in your av?

19. nickn

nickn

Oct 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    +1 on the prior suggestions, if it really bothers you then just buy a Switchcraft or other name brand jack and put a dab of Loctite on the threads.

20. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    A '98 Ibanez Soundgear 800 with a custom paint job.

Soundgears24a-1.