1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ibanez ATK serial number problem.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by roro92, Sep 14, 2008.

1. roro92

roro92

Sep 14, 2008
    This might have been asked before, but I will take the risk.

I am about to buy an Ibanez ATK 300 from Japan. The serial number starts with FC6. The complete number is shown in the picture.

[​IMG][/IMG]

As far as I've seen, no one can tell me when it was made. I think it was partially made in a Cort factory, which means Korea and partially in the Fuji-jen plant in Japan.

That would explain the FC tag. That doesn't explain the date. When did the production of ATK's moved from Korea to Japan? I think it was quite early, '94 maybe?

As far as I've seen (I've done quite some research) this tag only comes with ATK's. Except for one guitar, a RX SN stick, also with a sticker on the headstock with Made in Japan on it. Some serials I've found. I've got some more, but dont have the exact numbers. They are from a couple of friends of mine.

Thank you.

2. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    Looks like March of 1996 to me....the serial number thingie doesn't recognize my ATK, either.

3. roro92

roro92

Sep 14, 2008
    I have thought about that too, there's a small hitch in that theory.

I know, much earlier Ibanez used this method of numbering. I know a Rickenbacker copy with a prefix like that. A "C" for March for example.

I know they have quit to do this, since the numbers after that indicate the production for that month (Last five digits). They moved on to a similar system which is the standard of today.

That does not explain the serial in the post above. The stands for "Fuji Jen, Japan". The sticker "Made in Japan" explains that.

The C is what gets my interest. I know the C normally stands for "Cort" made in Korea.

The production of ATK's was moved from Korea to Japan. I want to know why and about when.

Danomite64, what's you serial?

4. roro92

roro92

Sep 14, 2008
    Anyone? If you don't know, who will?

5. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    Like you, I assume the C stands for Cort. I did not assume the C was for the month. F is for FugiGen, C for Cort, 6 for 1996, 03 id for March. My bass is a '94, but made in Korea, so it only has a C prefix. Mine starts off with C43 and only has 6 digits; according to the serial number charts, they expect 7 or 8 digits; so in their world my bass should start off with either 'C403' or 'C0403'.

Headstock03a-backview.

6. roro92

roro92

Sep 14, 2008
    Right. Well, the day after tomorrow I will be picking it up! It's an Amberburst'er 300 :D.

7. burnzy

burnzy

Jun 18, 2008
    Las Vegas
    If you drop the F from the serial #, this is what I get:

Guitar Info
    Your guitar was made at the
    Cort Plant, Korea
    March 1996
    Production Number: 1830

You can check it here:

Check Ibanez Serial Number

:bassist:

8. roro92

roro92

Sep 14, 2008
    Thanks.

That still doesn't explain the "Made in Japan" sticker on the headstock and the F :D.

I'm tough to satisfy.

9. Swin

Swin

May 25, 2008
    Toronto
    Ibanez Freakazoid
    The neck came from Japan...the body came from Korea. As production was moving to Korea, there were still issues with quality control with the necks...so they were being sent down from FujiGen and retrofitted in Korea prior to being sent off to the distributors.

10. Plucker Tom

Plucker Tom

Dec 29, 2014
    Philly
    I just picked up a used...ATK 300...and the serial number is..C437589..?..So what year is this..? a ...1994..?