1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

IBANEZ BASS HISTORY

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by moe.moe, Dec 27, 2017.

Tags:
  1. moe.moe

moe.moe Endorsed by Mercy & Grace ™

Jun 22, 2008
    Hello TalkBass!

I just scored an IBANEZ SRX2EX2 on the really cheep and I am curious if anyone knows or have an idea when the IBANEZ SRX SERIES were first intoduced and did the SRX SERIES morph into what we know today as the SR SERIES?

Also, again if anyone knows what the difference was between the SRX2EX2 model and the SRX2EX1 model? (and please don't say, "it had a different number :()

Thanks in advance!

2. hypercarrots

hypercarrots

Jan 28, 2009
    los angeles
    SRX came out in 2002
    SR came out in 1987

moe.moe likes this.
  3. moe.moe

Jun 22, 2008
    Ahhh, ok. I always thought the SR's came after the SRX's...

Thank you brother! :)

hypercarrots likes this.
  4. hypercarrots

hypercarrots

Jan 28, 2009
    los angeles
    SRX2EX1 came in black from 2006-2011
    SRX2EX2 came in white from 2006-2011 or 2012, and red from 2011-2012 or 2013

The color is the only difference. These models are not in the ibanez catalogs. They were sold by guitar center and partners and possibly other retailers.

5. hypercarrots

hypercarrots

Jan 28, 2009
    los angeles
    SRX lasted about a decade while SR has been going for 30 years

6. moe.moe

Jun 22, 2008
    Thank you SO much!
    So basically the EX2 models are "relatively new" sorta....
    I thought they were mch older....

Thanks agan! :)

hypercarrots likes this.
  7. The SRX2 is the best value for money in a used bass, at their normal selling price.

Once I bought a SRX700, because it had that stunning finish & a flamed ash grain, as well as being neck-thru,
    but I returned it within a couple of days due to the weaker AlNiCo magnets in the pickups.

Yes, I considered just swapping the pickups & maybe I should have, but it probably still wouldn't have been as mids-heavy as the SRX2.
    I couldn't get that mid bite from the SRX700.

My other bass is a Ibanez Premium & if I put Cobalt flats on that & SS rounds on my SRX2 they sound very similar to me.

Shawn Sweeney likes this.
  8. Shawn Sweeney

Shawn Sweeney

Dec 13, 2017
    Cali
    Great thread, I’m picking up an SRX2EX1 on Monday. I already have an SRX300 which I absolutely love. What do you think of your SRX2EX2?