Ibanez BTB owners - show your BTB's

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fourstringbliss, Aug 6, 2006.

1. fourstringbliss

fourstringbliss Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    I know that Ibanez isn't held in much regard by most folks here (from what I've read), but I sure do like my Ibby BTB555.

Picture016.gif

Picture017.gif

Who else owns a BTB of any kind? Show pics! What do you like most about your BTB?

My favorite thing about my BTB is the vari mid control.

2. Hey, I love my BTB. I don't even remember the actual model, but it is the same design as above, but with the Ibanez pickups (not the new Barts), 5-string and blue - the same ones being blown out everywhere for just under $400 new.

Yeah, great bass. Neck a little wider than my other 5s, but that's OK. Nice solid low end and well built. Nice looking too. I believe they are blowing these out (http://www.americanmusical.com/item...roogle-_-SearchEngine-_-Feed-_-IBA BTB205 TYF for example but there are other dealers) because the newer models have upgraded pickups. Hey, for under $400 mine was a steal and a tremendous bargain. I'm very happy with it.

3. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Actually, I think BtB's are held in decent regard. I'm more than willing to bash most Ibanez, but the BtBs are nice basses.

4. zyro70

zyro70 Inactive

Aug 6, 2006
    Lebanon
    I had a BtB but it got stolen from me. It played very well.... I'm thinking about buying another one.

5. fourstringbliss

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    It does seem that at least the BTB450 series and up are held in fairly high regard. The BTB555 is a really good bass for the money. I haven't played the BTB1205, but they sure look nicely made. If I had the $1200 they cost new I'd be buying a Lakland Skyline 55-02 Deluxe, Skyline Joe Osborn 5, or a Skyline Daryll Jones 5 from The Dude.

6. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Inactive

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    I ain't got any great pics of my BTB405QM, but here is a one taken with my webcam...

Picture27.jpg

Me! With a five string? :eek: I know, I'm shocked myself!
    Mind you, it's a great bass, my favourite Ibanez bass model apart from the GWB for sure! I love it, it's great for laying down big grooves. Since it's 35" scale and my Kubick is 32", I like to sit in my chair with my BTB and pretend I'm Anthony Jackson (even though he's known for the 36" scale basses!) laying down immense grooves!

7. herndonbassist

herndonbassist Low Down Thumper

Apr 7, 2005
    Herndon, VA - NoVa
    hmmmm i LOVE my 406 QTM.... sorry for the other stuff in the pic... [​IMG]

8. Shelly

Shelly

Jul 12, 2006
    Brighton, Michigan
    Wow, your BTB 555 photos are beautiful. Here's my 556. It arrived just last Monday. I love it! I definitely like it better than the Peavey Grind 6 and Spector Legend 6 that I've been auditioning. Gotta change my sig!

My Ibby2.jpg

9. fourstringbliss

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    I know! I'm back to 5-string again, and another BTB. Now that I've got the right bass (at least until I can afford a Lakland Joe Osborn 5) I should probably learn how to play...

10. fourstringbliss

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    Thanks about the pics. You've got quite a stable! What drew you to the BTB556?

11. Shelly

Shelly

Jul 12, 2006
    Brighton, Michigan
    I wanted to try more melodic upper register playing, but my Conklin 7-string neck was too wide to play for long. I wanted to replace it with a sub-$1000 6-string. As it turns out, the Peavey Grind sounded too dark for my taste and just didn't "feel right" and the Spector Legend is too heavy, even if I did like its tone, so these will probably be on the market soon. I've also tried a Dean Edge and an ESP (can't recall the model number), but didn't like their tones either.

Out of curiousity and frustration, I ordered the BTB from AMS. So far, I like the tonal capability, I can play fingerstyle and slap on it and the weight/ weight balance is good. I also liked the Schecter Stilleto Studio 5, but never found a 6-string to play. I've heard good things about the Yamaha TRB1006, but no one has those in stock to even order. The Hondo units all seem to require upgrading to sound good, something that I didn't want to bother with.

Having said that, I can't help but wonder what some aftermarket Barts in place of the MK1's and a different Bart pre would sound like on the BTB 556...

Have fun!

12. fourstringbliss

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    I think you'd end up with a smoother sound than the MK-1/Ibanez pre combo.

I can imagine that a Conklin GT7 would have a wide neck.

13. here's mine...bought it last august :)
    Cimg0737.jpg
    Cimg0739.jpg

14. fourstringbliss

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    Someday I'm going to try a six. Nice choice!!

15. Thanks man :) I went from 4 to 6. try a 6 string , i'm sure you'll get used to it pretty quick.

16. My lowley BTB-406QM

btb_closeup.jpg

17. fourstringbliss

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    The purple is the best of the BTB405/406 colors! Nice!

18. aesir6

aesir6

Apr 5, 2006
    odessa texas
    WOW! That is really sweet looking!

19. fourstringbliss

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    The lack of color variation in the BTB405/406/450/455/456 series has always baffled me! Now the only color the 455/456's come in is black. At least the 450 comes in an amber color. These should come in some kind of sunburst color, at least!

20. Its TB (Transparent Black), its just in pictures it looks purple, it has a slight purple tint in the right light, but never seems as vibrant as that, awsome bass tho :hyper:

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 18, 2021