1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ibanez BTB675 thoughts?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bradass, Jun 5, 2012.

1. Bradass

Bradass

Oct 17, 2011
    Tallahassee, FL
    I've been playing a Peavey Fury 5, my first bass (purchased new in 2000). I've recently joined a band and things are going pretty well, but my old baby is starting to feel just a bit insufficient and I'm itching to get something a little nicer. My price range is probably around 700-900 right now and the Ibanez BTB675 has really caught my eye. Would love to hear some opinions on this bass... :bassist:

http://www.ibanez.com/BassGuitars/model-BTB675M

2. ImTheARSonist

ImTheARSonist

May 17, 2011
    I'm a little fanboy for these basses. I want one SO bad! The build feels very similar to Warwicks(to me), but they aren't nearly as heavy and they feel a little more balanced with a strap(probably because of the horns shape). Again, it is my dream bass, I fell in love with these at first touch.

3. Andy_D

Andy_D

Nov 28, 2009
    Corpus Christi, TX
    I have a mint BTB 555 I picked up for $285 used with a HSC. It's a great bass and I love it (my profile pic). That being said in your price range you have a LOT of really good options especially if you buy used, some perhaps better than the 675, I'd also consider some of the following

Peavey Cirrus (I picked up my Bolt-on 5'er as a NOS for $650 with HSC).
    Brubaker Brute (I'm gassing for one but I need to sell a couple basses first)
    G & L Tribute L-2500 (gassing for one of these too)
    Used Peavey TL5
    Used Peavey Axcelerator 5
    Used Yamaha TRB 5'er
    Ken Smith Burner

Keep an eye on Amazon they have have MTD Kingston Z Basses for as low as $700 the past couple weeks (they go fast).

Wow, so many good options in your price range, it makes one dizzy. good luck.

4. BKuettel

BKuettel

Apr 8, 2011
    Oneonta, NY
    This prog metal band that i have been stuck on awhile now named Struc/tures uses this bass so if i were to guess it is a good bass for that kinda playing style. Ive been looking at this baby too and i was thinking about getting one as my next guitar too. Looks beautiful from what ive seen!

5. Wallace320

Wallace320 Commercial User

Mar 19, 2012
    Milan, Italy
    Hi everyone,
    I once had a BTB780 for awhile and seeking a BTB785 for I liked the sound of Benny Rietveld from Santana.

But I ordinarily play in a thrash metal band, so the thing I can confirm is that 35" scale works good with full step downtuning.

Apart from that, Bartolini mk2 are really average sounding pickups and can't get thru a concrete wall of sound. So if you're not into guitar bandmates active dowtuned rifferama, you get a pleasant instrument. If you're into BTB shape and neckthru ash body, but play something heavier than jazz and/or fusion, try and find a BTB705 with EMG40 pickups.

Believe me that's the only BTB letting you hear in the mix.

Cheers,
    Wallace

6. lpcarter

lpcarter Supporting Member

Jan 20, 2012
    Minneapolis, MN
    I owned a BTB for a while when I was younger, and for a while it was my only bass. LOVED it. I eventually made the switch from a 6er to exclusively 4...and that was the last time I saw the BTB line. Although they do make 4s.

(It was also at that time that I switched from creative looking basses to exclusively classic style: jazz, p)

Sigh. The BTB line IS awesome, in looks, feel and sound. I'd go for it.

7. I have a BTB676 and is very confortable to play and the sound is awesome, I think that the quality/price rate of these basses ar very good...

8. Bradass

Bradass

Oct 17, 2011
    Tallahassee, FL
    I LOVE the look of this bass, but just want to be sure it is a legitimate step up in sound and overall quality from what I'm playing. My guitarist/roommate expressed some skepticism because he seems to like the sounds I get from my Peavey (better than his MIM P too, weirdo) and doesn't think it is enough of a step up to justify it. I think he's wrong. I'd love to drop 1500 on a stingray or the like but that's just not gonna happen right now. Local GC does not have any BTBs to play :(

9. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    The Peavey is a decent bass. What's lacking other than newness?
    ;)

Sometimes some simple tweaks can reveal surprising results, like raising pickup, setting the action to make it easier to play, new strings, etc.

10. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    True, but when folks get it in their head they want another bass, nothing else will do.

11. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    No doubt. I'm at the point where I don't feel sorry for them anymore when they kick themselves later on.
    :D

12. drumnbassman

drumnbassman

Mar 19, 2010
    the 675 isnt a bad instrument but you would be shocked how much better the 775PB is. feels better and sounds way better IMHO

13. Offer a trade for the p bass?

14. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    Unfortunately the only way you'll know is to get one in your hands. Opinions are all personal and unless you know someone who plays like you and likes what you like, it'll remain a crapshoot.

15. jplumansoc

jplumansoc

Mar 15, 2012
    Seattle, WA
    I was gasing for one of these a couple months ago, great bass, feels great, i like the tone and the playability of it. I just pick one up and I feel like i'm a better bass player because its just so damn easy to play (that neck is pure yum) in the end I ended up picking up a SR755 instead because I saw one on ebay for 500 and it is awfully similar in tone and playability. That being said, if you find a good deal on either jump on it :)

16. Just played both a 676 and the 776 tonite at a store and was pretty impressed by both, but there was something better about the 776. I can't quite quantify it beyond the fact that it cut through the poorly played guitar noise a bit more and seemed to resonate a bit more energetically against my forearm. Both were a huge step above anything else I picked up including a MTD Kingston 6 with a similar burl top for a few hundred dollars more.

I'll be getting one of those 776s someday in the not so far off future as it supplanted the MTD (which is what I was there to look at to begin with) as the realistic bass of my dreams.

17. Codymb

Codymb

Mar 26, 2007
    Burlington, NC
    Dude, I LOVE Structures. I saw them a few months ago and that guys tone is just unbelievable live. Very full and grindy. I actually got a chance to talk to them for a while that night. All very nice guys.

I've been playing Ibanez basses for years an I've never really wanted a BTB until recently. I'd def pick on up.

18. I have one and it's wonderful to play. The only thing I don't like about it is that Ibanez uses split coil 6 string pickups on the 675 which means the A string sits on the gap between the two coils. There's a small but noticeable volume drop on the A string. Play it before you buy it to make sure you like it. I can't say this is a problem on all 675's but I'm not the only one to notice this.

Otherwise, it's a great bass.

19. Zoa

Zoa

Dec 28, 2009
    I'm of the opinion that you can do better for your money, especially used. G&L, Fender Hwy1, Yamaha, Peavey Cirrus, etc. are all gonna be better basses for your buck.

20. BKuettel

BKuettel

Apr 8, 2011
    Oneonta, NY
    Man your lucky. I wish i got to see them when they came through my area but i actually was playing a show that night and couldnt. :(

I've heard they were all pretty down to earth dudes. Anyone named spyro HAS to be cool. I LOVED those games when i was little. Hahaha :hyper: