1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ibanez GATK20 bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by CriminalCypress, Jun 8, 2011.

1. CriminalCypress

CriminalCypress

Mar 19, 2011
    NC
    I'm pretty close to buying my 2nd bass pretty soon, and I've always wanted an ATK or an SBMM, but they were a bit too high for my price range. When i saw the GATK20, i thought it would be a pretty good buy. Anyone got around to trying one of these?
    They go for around $250 new.

And if i had to choose between this and a used OLP, which should i go for?

2. I haven't played one of these but I have the new 200 series.
    I'd save up a few more clams and snag one of the ATK 200's

3. ubnomnar

ubnomnar Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2009
    So Cal
    There are a couple sweet 90's ATK300s on eBay for about the same... or potentially less than a new GATK20.

4. Toastfuzz

Toastfuzz

Jul 20, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Yeah I would buy a used ATK300 or wait another year for a Musicians Friend ATK blowout, where many of us got new ATK's for $300-$400 new over the years, me included. I would hold out at least for a used 300 in the classifieds for that price range

5. Personally, I would skip them both, and buy the ATK200 when I had the dough.

6. Toastfuzz

Toastfuzz

Jul 20, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA
    D'oh, can't delete posts on the mobile tb app...

I just checked out the GATKs...honestly, they look like pretty low-end beginners instruments to me. I don't try to be a gear snob, but the difference between a $200 and a $500 bass is astounding, and I would bet you'll wish you had a 300 shortly after purchasing a GATK. My advise is save some cash and get a whole lot more instrument quality with the real thing.

7. CriminalCypress

CriminalCypress

Mar 19, 2011
    NC
    I guess it would be better to get a ATK300 or so. It'll be my second bass, and I was about to jump on this immediatley.

8. martyonbass

martyonbass

Dec 16, 2009
    I played one recently and was surprised at it's no nonsense tone. I was also struck that even thought there was only 2 knobs, the back plate was a similar size to one that would have a battery preamp in it. It "seemed" to have an eq setting on it. Or maybe, it was just cheaper to use the same bodies used on the ATK 200 models. If so, it would be easy to load up your own preamp of choice. Just a thought. Does anyone have one?

9. vHarmonic

vHarmonic

Oct 20, 2009
    I tried one at Guitar Center the other day and fully expected to hate it. But I was honestly surprised, it seemed well made, it was super light weight, maybe around 7lbs, and it sounded good. I am somewhat tempted to pick up a used one and upgrade it just because the weight was so nice. I don't know that I will but if I found one for under $100, I would consider it.