Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ibanez GWB35

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Nov 17, 2004.

1. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Who here has played this bass? I played one for about twenty minutes today and I was really, really impressed. It is not sonically very versatile, but the slick, hard, lined, fingerboard and bridge position pickup really gives a nice bright Jacoesque sound. Intonation seemed very easy, although playing solo is not the best way to check intonation. It's a five string and the B-string sounds good. The local dealer was selling it new for $480, and all things considered, it is a very appealing deal to me. What do you guys think about this bass?

2. freemole

freemole

May 24, 2003
    send me the name and phone number of your dealer

3. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    The dealer is Swing City Music in Collinsville, IL. The phone number is 618-345-6700.

4. SlavaF

SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    I played one for about half an hour, though it was back a few months when I bought my SR500 instead (May 2004 I think it was). Great bass, sounded great and felt great, but in the end, I wasn't ready for a fretless, even though it is lined. I think it's definitely worth the money, it's just not for me.

5. vikunja

vikunja

Oct 29, 2004
    Norway
    I've tried the bass and am also impressed with it. Very nice sound and for the price is a great deal! But the colour is very, well, black.... :) not my cup of tea! So thats why I have gone and ordered a MTD Heir fretless instead. But if you like the colour then I would definitly go for it!

6. Demon

Demon

Mar 17, 2006
    Sweden, Stockholm
    Im gonna revive this thread. Got a question, how is the finger ramp, that big block right beneath the fingerboard. Does it get in the way when not playing his style if i like to dig in a bit? Can it be adjusted/removed?

7. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I had no problems with the ramp. I don't know if it can be reasily removed or not. BTW, I ended up not getting the GWB35. I do have a fretless G&L L-1505 on order though.:cool:

8. Demon

Demon

Mar 17, 2006
    Sweden, Stockholm
    Okay, but how close is it to the strings? can it be lowered like a pickup?

9. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast

Jul 16, 2005
    Syracuse, NY
    Looks to me like there are 4 screws holding the ramp in place.

I'm still trying to talk my local shop into ordering one, just so I can test it and see if I want it.

10. Demon

Demon

Mar 17, 2006
    Sweden, Stockholm
  11. I think it is detachable. It has some kind of special tape underneath, so you can remove it and then put it back.

I was thinking about buying one some time ago, so any inputs will be great

12. Demon

Demon

Mar 17, 2006
    Sweden, Stockholm
    No, the GWB35 doesnt have the tape, it has the screws instead. I read it somewhere. Hope to get someone whos spent some good time with it to post here.

13. Demon

Demon

Mar 17, 2006
    Sweden, Stockholm
    Ah, you found it on the site. I never did. The bass does seem to be in my favour. 34", light weight, not to thick neck nor stringspacing, lined (im kinda new to fretless, so it helps). If i get some more info on the fingerramp i could make my decision. Willis states on his site that it helps preventing playing to hard, which i do, but iwanna be able to dig in when i want. Afterall, im still playing metal, Fretless or not.

14. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    I really want to get my hands on one of those Japanese handmade GW 4 strings. They look absolutley amazing. Further more, I quite like the GWB35.

15. You should still be able to dig in near the bridge. The ramp ends where the pickup ends, and where the pickup ends, there you dig in! :D

16. Demon

Demon

Mar 17, 2006
    Sweden, Stockholm
    Arent the strings really really hard there though? Maybe its different from my squier affinity precision. Anyway, it doesnt seem like i have much choice. Its the only fretless bass available to me other than the warwick rockbasses which wouldnt suit me most likely, because of the neck and scale, and they are somewhat heavy. I did find the MTD kingstons, but im not sure ican stand that pickguard. Besides it does say the ramp is Detachable:p

17. Demon

Demon

Mar 17, 2006
    Sweden, Stockholm
    Ill give it a bump since its on the third page.

18. Demon

Demon

Mar 17, 2006
    Sweden, Stockholm
    Comeon guys, just need some info. Surely this goodlooking bass cant be completely shunned?

19. Well you could just take out the ramp. Still, a fretless sound much better when playing softly.

Anyway, you better try it first ;)